2016 base explorer aftermarket dash kit | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2016 base explorer aftermarket dash kit

Prism19

Reaction score
City, State
Stamford ct
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 base ford explorer
Trying to install aftermarket radio on a 2016 non sony ford explorer. Purchase a metra 99 5828ch . fits perfectly but the wire harness that came the metra is not compatible with original factory wire. Is there such a wire adapter? Without the connection. Dash kit would not function ac, climate control. The factory wire is a 10 pin dual 5 female with five wires connected red, white, green, brown, purple/blue stripes The metra dash kit is a 6 pin wire . Red, white, black, gray, purple, and green

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Its interesting that you are attempting to do that. Crutchfield has no aftermarket radios to fit a 2016 explorer. Seems like you will loose a ton of functionality if you get it to work.

Trying to install aftermarket radio on a 2016 non sony ford explorer. Purchase a metra 99 5828ch . fits perfectly but the wire harness that came the metra is not compatible with original factory wire. Is there such a wire adapter? Without the connection. Dash kit would not function ac, climate control. The factory wire is a 10 pin dual 5 female with five wires connected red, white, green, brown, purple/blue stripes The metra dash kit is a 6 pin wire . Red, white, black, gray, purple, and green

Have you contacted Metra? Their website says they're 'still gathering information for this vehicle'. Scosche only goes to 2015.

Have you contacted Metra? Their website says they're 'still gathering information for this vehicle'. Scosche only goes to 2015.
I did no luck ...

Just out of curiosity, I looked at Crutchfield just to see what types of add-ons or replacements they might have. As wharriso said, they popped up that they have nothing to fit a 2016 Explorer - which was no surprise, especially if one has the Sony/Climate/Nav, etc since that stuff is basically the heart of the car. Just wondering, why would you want to replace all this? I don't know what the unit is that you're trying to install.

I did no luck ...

Then you're probably out of luck until they get around to making one, unless you can find someone who can do a custom cut and splice on it.

It says it's a 2016 base model he's doing this to. If that's the case there likely aren't a lot of options to lose. I'm guessing he's making the move to actually add some of these missing features via an aftermarket radio that provides them? I don't have the time to find the threads, but I've seen two or three different ones where a base model added an aftermarket radio that included NAV, etc to give the driver more functionality. I believe most of said radios were obtained via eBay and are from overseas.

It says it's a 2016 base model he's doing this to. If that's the case there likely aren't a lot of options to lose. I'm guessing he's making the move to actually add some of these missing features via an aftermarket radio that provides them? I don't have the time to find the threads, but I've seen two or three different ones where a base model added an aftermarket radio that included NAV, etc to give the driver more functionality. I believe most of said radios were obtained via eBay and are from overseas.
Oh, I see now. It was late when I read this - I saw "Sony", just totally missed the "non" part before! Nevermind! Best of luck Prism19. I've replaced a few stock units back before everything was all linked together, it's getting harder and harder to do. My favorite was replacing the 6 CD changer in my '08 Expedition with a sweet Kenwood Excelon DNX6960 GPS Nav System w/DVD player and bluetoooth. I spent a few bucks on that thing but it was awesome when it was done. Makes it just a bit more pleasurable when you can say you did it yourself, too..

Thanks for the info...been reading and searching like a lunatic .

Oh, I see now. It was late when I read this - I saw "Sony", just totally missed the "non" part before! Nevermind! Best of luck Prism19. I've replaced a few stock units back before everything was all linked together, it's getting harder and harder to do. My favorite was replacing the 6 CD changer in my '08 Expedition with a sweet Kenwood Excelon DNX6960 GPS Nav System w/DVD player and bluetoooth. I spent a few bucks on that thing but it was awesome when it was done. Makes it just a bit more pleasurable when you can say you did it yourself, too..
Correct its getting harder and harder to do..all of these things are new to me. Back then it was so basic.. for now i just replace the front and rear speakers with some 6x9 kickers and
6 3/4 along w a alpine power pack amplifier.. and added a Kenwood ksc-sw11 power sub.. sounds good.. would you guys know the name of the harness that connects on the back of the factory radio.. is a 24 pin reverse harness /pigtail... need to replace it ..my factory radio amp ic burned hehehe .

I ordered a download edition of the 2016 Explorer Factory Manual - it's not ready for download yet but once I get it (should be tomorrow latest) I may be able to help you - if it has a name other than "wiring harness" or something similar. At the same time, I may not be able to help, as they compile the "book" based on the VIN and I have a Limited with the Sony so....guess we'll find out when I get the download notice.

I ordered a download edition of the 2016 Explorer Factory Manual - it's not ready for download yet but once I get it (should be tomorrow latest) I may be able to help you - if it has a name other than "wiring harness" or something similar. At the same time, I may not be able to help, as they compile the "book" based on the VIN and I have a Limited with the Sony so....guess we'll find out when I get the download notice.
Thanks

Well - I spent almost 2 hours looking through both the manual (I haven't exactly figured out how to read it and, so far until I understand it better, it's not really user friendly. I finally just entered Ford 2016 Radio Harness in Google and it popped up all sorts of harness/adaptors. You said you don't have the Sony but I missed some required info. No Sony, with 8" LCD Radio, 9 speakers OR No Sony, no 8" LCD Radio, 9 speakers OR No Sony, 6 Speakers. There are a total of FOUR options for the 2016 Explorer radio, both on Crutchfield AND in the Ford Manual. I've done as much research as I can do for you, my time is limited, and my best advice might be to call Crutchfield - I thought they were supposed to be pretty good at helping people with this stuff. Sorry I can't help.

Well - I spent almost 2 hours looking through both the manual (I haven't exactly figured out how to read it and, so far until I understand it better, it's not really user friendly. I finally just entered Ford 2016 Radio Harness in Google and it popped up all sorts of harness/adaptors. You said you don't have the Sony but I missed some required info. No Sony, with 8" LCD Radio, 9 speakers OR No Sony, no 8" LCD Radio, 9 speakers OR No Sony, 6 Speakers. There are a total of FOUR options for the 2016 Explorer radio, both on Crutchfield AND in the Ford Manual. I've done as much research as I can do for you, my time is limited, and my best advice might be to call Crutchfield - I thought they were supposed to be pretty good at helping people with this stuff. Sorry I can't help.
Might almost be easier to have him just take a picture of his dash/radio area so we can determine what he has/doesn't have. I'm leaning towards the 'no Sony, 6 speakers' (since it's a base model), but pictures would help further determine that. :)

On a side note thanks for doing that for him. That's why I love this place. Everyone is willing to help everyone. Great community. :)

This helps me out a bit too. I am looking to do exactly the same. I have a 2016 Police Interceptor Utility which is basically a "BASE Model" in regards to the audio system.
2016_PIU_ACM1.jpg

I have same radio the only thing that I have been able to find to upgrade 2016 police interceptor is an Tesla style Android radio that has Bluetooth GPS USB I've ordered one from Phoenix Android Radios it's been a month and half and I'm still waiting so when I get it which they assured me will be soon waiting on parts they said I will post it but nothing else I can find for our vehicle no one has made anything yet don't know if they will damn Ford had to change the harness and radio to something different

Will do There's also another site called radio upgrade .com supposedly they have Android radio that looks like a stock radio but better I'm giving it till first week of March then I might go to radio upgrade trying to see if they have them in stock right now tired of waiting

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's what radio upgrade offers looks just like Sony one in 16 explorer but problem is in 2016 Ford decided to change harnesses so if you have a 15 or under there's alot of options you have to upgrade as far as 16 and up goes there's not a whole lot I've only found 2 and nothing for putting an aftermarket radio yet and almost seems like they're not going to make anything I think

Back