Hood Deflector | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hood Deflector

jonnoriega - I just got a 17 Ex base and purchased a OEM Ford hood deflector. I need it to stop raining so I can install it but where did you place the black cones behind yours at? The directions that came with mine don't say where, they're just supplied.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

jonnoriega - I just got a 17 Ex base and purchased a OEM Ford hood deflector. I need it to stop raining so I can install it but where did you place the black cones behind yours at? The directions that came with mine don't say where, they're just supplied.

@BradleyFord I had my garage buddies install them and this is where they put the cones. I hope this makes sense?
fullsizeoutput_1c82.jpeg

PeterK what did you put on your Ex? Did you do any bumper protection?

PeterK what did you put on your Ex? Did you do any bumper protection?
The only thing I added was those 2 small convex mirrors that I've added to every vehicle I've owned plus the OEM cargo liner. Just received the 2 front Husky liners to replace the ones I was temporarily using from my MKT. Those fit but didn't have the 2 receivers for the floor pins to keep them in place. I had the OEM bumper protector on my 2011 but haven't added one to my Platinum. Not sure if I will. If I do, it will have the edge protection. Haven't installed a hood deflector since my Highlander days.

Peter

@BradleyFord I had my garage buddies install them and this is where they put the cones. I hope this makes sense?
View attachment 96009
So as I'm getting my Ex this week, I'm checking out various items and in this case the ford bug deflector...I'm told and checked on the ford website there is only one kind... the one that sticks down with double sided tape....and they dont carry the one that wraps down under the hood and is held in place with screws.

Is yours the one that holds on with double sided tape? If so, any issues with dirt build up around the tape as it slides /rolls Down the hood?

Are the cones in addition to two sided tape or are they themselves sticky on both sides replacing tape?
For the OEM hood deflector from Ford there is no two sided tape on the deflector, it's secured using 6 clips to the hood. The two in the middle are secured via a screw to an existing hole on the inside of the hood, you pop out the plastic plug and replace it with a clip that goes over the hood and secures into the hole with hardware and screw. The other fasteners don't use a screw, they're just very tight against the hood and clasp the rounded edge. There is 3M clear tap that you put over the hood where the clips go over it to protect it and add some width for the clips to squeeze. As for the cones, they're only sticky on the bottom where they attach to the hood, that is basically double sided 3M tape too, but not as thick as the other ones provided. The only function of the cones are to keep the deflector from being pushed back and making contact with the hood.

So as I'm getting my Ex this week, I'm checking out various items and in this case the ford bug deflector...I'm told and checked on the ford website there is only one kind... the one that sticks down with double sided tape....and they dont carry the one that wraps down under the hood and is held in place with screws.

Is yours the one that holds on with double sided tape? If so, any issues with dirt build up around the tape as it slides /rolls Down the hood?
Where did you read about the double sided tape. I checked several sites and none mentioned how it was to be installed. Even the parts department was able to tell me except that if it is tape, it really holds well.

Peter

Thanks for your replies Bradley Ford and Peter.

Got that idea from the parts guy at Markville ford.... tells me it's one long piece of 2sided tape and if I order it I can't return it....wow.

So after reading your replies I called Bill Houston Ford and spoke to parts guy there.. he too couldn't definitively tell me but did tell me there are 2 .... one that attaches by clips VGB5z16c900b and the other by two sided tape GB5z16c900 A... but he tells me he can bring one in and if it's not what I want he'll take it back, but won't order two in case I don't want either.

At least he was nice enough to give me some info.

Bradley Ford.... what's the part number you are talking about?

In the mean time I'll google them to see if I can get a clearer understanding.

By the way these are both here in Ontario Canada ...doubt that makes any difference for parts.

@fatboyO what's the part model of the deflector. The one I got yesterday and installed on my 2017 Ex is GB5Z-16C900-A. This has zero double stick tape and does not stick to the hood. There are mounting brackets that attach and screw into the hood. If you need, I can scan the instructions, although vague and no language, it shows how it's installed.

@fatboyO the dealership I got mine from had them in stock and we looked at them first. My invoice says GB5Z-16C900-A but i guess it's possible they were flipped with another....?

@fatboyO the dealership I got mine from had them in stock and we looked at them first. My invoice says GB5Z-16C900-A but i guess it's possible they were flipped with another....?
Wow, maybe I flipped the numbers...If it's not any trouble having a look at those instructions would be really helpful.... but only if it's easy and convient for you... if not, no worries and thanks for all your help so far.

Was just surfing around on eBay found Ford Explorer aeroskin hood protector bug shield VGb5Z 16C900 B. And that description says no drilling and uses 3m auto grade tape instead.

So that must be it.... seems I should take a look at one at the dealer.

One of the possible issues I see in using the 'taped on' deflector is that if you should run into the 'hood bubbling' issue down the road it would be very difficult to remove the deflector and possibly reinstall it.

Peter

Thanks to all of your help fellas, I ordered the ford bug deflector GB5Z 16C900 A. The one with bracket and clips as suggested....

In the mean time, my husky floor matts, wearhertech rain/wind deflectors, locking gas cap and gorilla wheel locks all arrived now... but still in boxes waiting for the big day.

Even went out and got a torque wrench the other day .... never used one in 40 years of changing my wheels from summer to winter and back and all of a sudden I figured I should be careful with my new alum wheels... go figure.

Now to get the Ex and find time and good weather to install of of the stuff......

One of the possible issues I see in using the 'taped on' deflector is that if you should run into the 'hood bubbling' issue down the road it would be very difficult to remove the deflector and possibly reinstall it.

Peter

Hood bubbling issue?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Get the clear westin for the hood.. you cannot even see it on the truck

Back