• Register Today It's free!

Can I run a 255/65R18 on my XLT?

vmaxmercer

Reaction score
City, State
Newfoundlaand
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Adrenalin
I was wondering if anyone has run a 255/65R18 on the 5th Gen explorer? The stock tire size is 245/60R18 and is 29.6"diameter and the 255/65R18 is 31.1" in diameter. I know it will clear with no rubbing but I want to make sure it won't trigger any codes or effect the traction control, ABS, or 4wd?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I was wondering if anyone has run a 255/65R18 on the 5th Gen explorer? The stock tire size is 245/60R18 and is 29.6"diameter and the 255/65R18 is 31.1" in diameter. I know it will clear with no rubbing but I want to make sure it won't trigger any codes or effect the traction control, ABS, or 4wd?
The accepted maximum diameter variance is 3.0%. The tire size you mention would exceed that at 4.99%.
I don't know for sure if the 2013 is the same as the 2016 in programming but the 2016 does have systems like you mentioned that take the tire size into account. It can be programmed but only within an acceptable tire range.

Peter

To stay closest to the original tire diameter, you would be better off running a 255/60R18 But that is assuming your 18" wheels can handle a 255 size tire.

The explorer sports run a 255/50R20 on an 8" wide wheel

The difference between a 255/50R20 and a 255/65R18 is 1" in overall tire height. Not sure if that is enough to make a difference?

My wheels are 8" wide so fitting the 255 won't be an issue as far as width goes

It's not a huge difference. It should work fine. The 255/60R18 is closer to your original size.

the 255/65R18 and 255/60R18 specs should be as follows compared to your 245/60R18

245/60R18------255/65R18------255/60R18
20 mph-----------21 mph----------20.3 mph
30 mph-----------31.5 mph--------30.4 mph
40 mph-----------42 mph----------40.5 mph
50 mph-----------52.5 mph--------50.7 mph
60 mph-----------63 mph----------60.8 mph
70 mph-----------73.5 mph--------70.9 mph
80 mph-----------84.1 mph--------81.1 mph
90 mph-----------94.6 mph--------91.2 mph

The accepted maximum diameter variance is 3.0%. The tire size you mention would exceed that at 4.99%.
I don't know for sure if the 2013 is the same as the 2016 in programming but the 2016 does have systems like you mentioned that take the tire size into account. It can be programmed but only within an acceptable tire range.

Peter

If you would PAY ATTENTION to what Peter is telling you, it's based on % of tire size, with 3% being the largest deviation, + or - you should go with the modern electronics. Yes, a lot of other sizes will fit, but they will totally screw up ABS, traction control and the Terrain Management system. These are all based on having the correct tire sizes.

The car is designed for a certain size tire/wheel combination. Don't deviate from that for proper operation of your vehicle. You'd have to check with Ford to see if you would void the warranty.

The 255/60R18 is 1.6% taller than the original tire.

The 255/65R18 is 5.1% taller than the original tire.

255/60R18 would be the ideal size to be within the 3% margin.

The 3% margin is used to keep close to the original specs so your speedo and other sensors work correctly as intended from the factory.

Just because you go with a wider tire, doesn't mean you will have issues. There are plenty of people running larger wheels and tires on these explorers without any extra programming being done. That is why your tire place will figure out what the best tire size is for you. The tire width can go wider and to compensate, the sidewall height % will change to keep the tire as close as possible to the original tire outside diameter.

Thanks guys for all the info. I wasn't worried about going wider, I just happen to have a set of 255/65R18's that were like new and no use for them so I figured I would see if I could run them on my Explorer. However you guys just confirmed what I figured to begin with and that is not to run them.

I'm looking to get bigger tires for my 2012 Explorer but I don't want to lift it and change the wheels by now. I'm considering buying a kit of 1.25 or 1.50 wheel spacers since i want to get a wider look.

The truck is on 18 inches OEM with standard size tire so they use to be 245/60R18 wich is 29.57 inches tall.

Here are my tire options
265/60R18 : 30.52 inches tall (about 1 inch more than OEM)
265/65R18 : 31.56 inches tall (about 2 inches more than OEM)
255/70R18 : 32.06 inches tall (about 2.5 inches more than OEM)
275/65R18 : 32.07 inches tall (about 2.5 inches more than OEM)

How tall can I go without having to get a lift kit?

**BTW once done, I'll put some pictures of the machine.**

I'm looking to get bigger tires for my 2012 Explorer but I don't want to lift it and change the wheels by now. I'm considering buying a kit of 1.25 or 1.50 wheel spacers since i want to get a wider look.

The truck is on 18 inches OEM with standard size tire so they use to be 245/60R18 wich is 29.57 inches tall.

Here are my tire options
265/60R18 : 30.52 inches tall (about 1 inch more than OEM)
265/65R18 : 31.56 inches tall (about 2 inches more than OEM)
255/70R18 : 32.06 inches tall (about 2.5 inches more than OEM)
275/65R18 : 32.07 inches tall (about 2.5 inches more than OEM)

How tall can I go without having to get a lift kit?

**BTW once done, I'll put some pictures of the machine.**
Welcome to the Forum fellow 'Ham'. :wave:
Of all the sizes you mentioned the 265/60R18 comes closest to being within the maximum 3% diameter variance. It is 3.19% (slightly over). The others don't even come close. http://www.1010tires.com/Tools/Tire...60R18/265-60R18/265-65R18/255-70R18/275-65R18
The Forum has a very handy 'Search' feature (upper right) that you can use to find existing threads. Not too much hasn't already been discussed.

Peter

Thanks for the welcome peterk9!

The speedometer percentage difference is not the issue I'm looking at, in fact the important thing for me is not rubbing the quater panels. So that is why I want to know how tall can I go to fill the wheel housings without hitting it.

Thanks for the welcome peterk9!

The speedometer percentage difference is not the issue I'm looking at, in fact the important thing for me is not rubbing the quater panels. So that is why I want to know how tall can I go to fill the wheel housings without hitting it.
Neither the rubbing nor speedo accuracy is the issue. The issue is that the tire sizes (last 3) exceed the maximum diameter variance of 3%. That can lead to premature brake system failure and also affects the ABS system, not to mention the extra weight on suspension parts.

Peter

Yes Peter you are right about the fact that I'll be harder for the suspension. Even only the spacer are not good for the suspension because it change the angles between the top shock mount, the knuckle and the middle of the wheel and it also change the pivot point of the front wheels. Tire will then wear faster on the inside and driving feeling will be less stable.

Welcome to the Forum fellow 'Ham'. :wave:
Of all the sizes you mentioned the 265/60R18 comes closest to being within the maximum 3% diameter variance. It is 3.19% (slightly over). The others don't even come close. http://www.1010tires.com/Tools/Tire...60R18/265-60R18/265-65R18/255-70R18/275-65R18
The Forum has a very handy 'Search' feature (upper right) that you can use to find existing threads. Not too much hasn't already been discussed.

Peter

When I need to replace tires, 265/60R18 sounds like what I will go for. I realize it is .19% over the preferred variance of 3% but so long as it causes no undue stress on the brakes/ABS/steering and has no rubbing issues I want to go with them.

Can the dealer adjust the speedo to correctly measure speed, does the car adjust itself, or do I just compensate mentally?

THANKS

When I need to replace tires, 265/60R18 sounds like what I will go for. I realize it is .19% over the preferred variance of 3% but so long as it causes no undue stress on the brakes/ABS/steering and has no rubbing issues I want to go with them.

Can the dealer adjust the speedo to correctly measure speed, does the car adjust itself, or do I just compensate mentally?

THANKS
I think you have to keep a mental note of the speed difference. On the 2016/17 models there are apparently certain sizes already programmed into a module and you can select the size and every affected item will update. I believe that only certain validated sizes are pre-programmed.

Peter

Depending on where you get your tired replaced, you may have to sign a line on service bill indicating you are "acknowledging that you are installing a size not spec'd as the factory size."

I installed a different size that factory spec on my Touareg, and Firestone required signature of a statement similar to this. In other words, you are acknowledging that you are running the tires and waiving warranty coverage. Caveat Emptor.......

I think you have to keep a mental note of the speed difference. On the 2016/17 models there are apparently certain sizes already programmed into a module and you can select the size and every affected item will update. I believe that only certain validated sizes are pre-programmed.

Peter

Can the dealer recalibrate the speedo?

I have a house in Nevada and spend a lot of time on desert terrain. My 13 Exp 4WD replaced my 05 Exp Sport Trac 4WD that had more clearance and pretty big tires on stock rims (no lift kit, no spacers, etc.) so I am used to having a somewhat big set of donuts on my car. I don't want to jeopardize safety, street worthiness, warranty, etc., just want to get as fat and tall a tire that I can.

I'm a cop and don't really speed so MPH is not crucial, I'm just borderline OCD about car stuff! :)

Back