OBX Exhaust Header Manifold FITS 97 98 99 00 01 Explorer Mountaineer 5.0L V8 | Page 15 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

OBX Exhaust Header Manifold FITS 97 98 99 00 01 Explorer Mountaineer 5.0L V8

i started this tread to share with the forum i never got to buy them cause of funds i know TMH where hard to get so when i went on ebay to look for a set of headers i came across these and shared it i know couple of people have bought them i didn't know nothing about the company who produced them i thought i would shared it on the forum

We all here appreciate the post. It was definitely a viable option for some people. It's just that OBX is not known for quality other than nice and shiny new out the box. Some people have had good luck with them so far but time will tell.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well the really dumb thing is that even if you got the OBX coated you would end up grinding a bit of it off around the flanges to get your spark plugs to fit and then bashing in a few other areas cracking the coating to get the clearance to work.

There seems to be one person in this whole thread that reminds me of a previous member that went by the name of F..d

We all remember him...

Perhaps he is back using a pseudonym?

I'm just going to watch the fun...

Well well, looks like American 304Ss is a little stronger than Sus304, numbers don't lie lol

Material Properties
Base Metal Price25 % rel

Calomel Potential-80 mV

Density7.8 g/cm3 (490 lb/ft3)

Elastic (Young's, Tensile) Modulus200 GPa (29 x 106 psi)

Electrical Conductivity13 % IACS

Electrical Resistivity Order of Magnitude-7 10x Ω-m

Elongation at Break8.1 to 42 %

Melting Onset (Solidus)1400 °C(2550 °F)

Modulus of Resilience (Unit Resilience)140 to 1890 kJ/m3

Poisson's Ratio0.28

PREN (Pitting Resistance)19

Specific Heat Capacity500 J/kg-K

Strength to Weight Ratio76 to 150 kN-m/kg

Tensile Strength: Ultimate (UTS)590 to 1190 MPa (86 to 170 x 103psi)

Tensile Strength: Yield (Proof)240 to 870 MPa (35 to 130 x 103psi)

Thermal Conductivity16 W/m-K

Thermal Diffusivity4.1 m2/s

Thermal Expansion17 µm/m-K

Unit Rupture Work (Ultimate Resilience)38 to 55 MJ/m3

All that aside I see they are back on the block, any other updates? Is anyone happy? All the weld crack pics I seen were pretty old, alot can happen in ten years.

Hi everyone. I'm getting ready to "finally" install my OBX headers on Big White this week. What is the best gasket (I'm reading the ones included by OBX are not the best) to use between the block and headers? I've read some people have had leak problems by using substandard gaskets and I'd rather spend a bit more and not have to worry about it for a long time to come.

Hi everyone. I'm getting ready to "finally" install my OBX headers on Big White this week. What is the best gasket (I'm reading the ones included by OBX are not the best) to use between the block and headers? I've read some people have had leak problems by using substandard gaskets and I'd rather spend a bit more and not have to worry about it for a long time to come.

Fel-Pro tend to be the go-to
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000C2GF3W/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Sold my OBX explorer and got a newer 2000 5.0 and just wanted to say that I noticed the loss of power mostly in the higher RPMs. Its like the stock 5.0 is dead after 3000 RPM. really depressing.

Headers are worth it if you can the SOB's installed.

Hmm that's an odd feeling man.I have stock manifolds and i don't experience that.Mine revs strong to the shift point of 4800 or so but it wants much more.I want to take it to 6Krpms.I do have a built engine tho.No cam or nitrous or headers.I do have a 0.40 bore out and full aluminum roller rockers.

It might be worth mentioning that there are a pair of real genuine "torque monsters" on ebay right now. $800+ already. I expect them to get over $1000.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Torque-Mon...ash=item2f0d6cc22e:g:ctAAAOSw1JVZ7Mav&vxp=mtr

Im just not sure id buy them for ~$1000 in that condition, especially with them being "AS-IS". Of course since they are not listed as "for parts" you could get your money back one way or the other if they didn't work(i.e had rusted through somewhere).

Whew, high quality finish there, looks like some of the used OBX headers people link to about poor welds. Those are probably structurally sound, but they are still too small. The only thing the TM's were ever good at is looking good. For that kind of money anyone should be able to get a simple log manifold made. Even a plain single log pipe with four short pipes from each port, would be easy for a good welder to make.

The tiny 1.5" primaries and stock small 2 1/8" collector ball pipe is way too small for any 302 not a lopo 70's/80's engine, to have on it. I'm going to make a pair for mine with 1 5/8" primaries, leading to at least a 2.5" collector. I'm not a welder, so I don't look forward to it. But for the cost alternative, I can do it or get it done. Very sad, that nobody has come along and made a useful manifold for the Explorers.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I won't say I'm pissed I just got used torque monsters a year ago, but yeah I'm kinda pissed I bought torque monsters. Mine were not even coated.

1997XLT Rollover,
What you need is some customer service. Send me an email (rcpasq@yahoo.com) and let's see if we can get you a new set of Torque Monster Headers at little cost to you. I like to think I can back my product.

Robert Pasquale
Tech Performance & Engineering
Torque Monster Headers
P.O. Box 500093
Palmdale, CA 93591

Back