Which cold air intake system is better | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Which cold air intake system is better

^^ Can you not re-install the OEM until you find another?

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

^^ Can you not re-install the OEM until you find another?

Peter
That is a possibility. I would rather just buy and install a new and better designed unit. All i need is to know from other owners which other units are cai only.

Another perspective:

I have a K&N intake on my 2015 XLT. The main reason I got it was because I don't like the stock muted engine, and I think it met my expectations pretty well. The engine has a deep growl when accelerating, without any type of drone. If that's what you like I'd recommend it. If you're looking for some real performance however, you're gonna need a tune. The sound is pretty nice, I've gotten a surprising amount of compliments, and most people think its a V8 until I tell them otherwise :p

I have a K&N intake on my 2015 XLT. The main reason I got it was because I don't like the stock muted engine, and I think it met my expectations pretty well. The engine has a deep growl when accelerating, without any type of drone. If that's what you like I'd recommend it. If you're looking for some real performance however, you're gonna need a tune. The sound is pretty nice, I've gotten a surprising amount of compliments, and most people think its a V8 until I tell them otherwise :p
Okay, here is the new deal. Since the mdesign air inlet broke, and the company refuses to honor a replacement i had to remove it. It sounded awesome. Hellofagrowel! But it sucked hot air. If I'm not mistaken the kn fipk sucks hot air too. For me, hot air baaad. I butchered the stock airbox, trimmed away any rib or restrictive edgs n corner, put my old high flow filter back in and re installed it. Seat of the pants says the X now pulls harder, shifts more consistently and is super smoothe with the LMS tune.. It's just too damn quiet. I have removed my foreward resonator and thought the growl i had was the exhaust. Nope.

So, I still plan to install a CAI as soon as i actually find one that is truly a CAI.

Thanks for the recommendation though!

Take a look at my idea for an OEM airbox based cold air intake here: https://www.explorerforum.com/forum...wap-air-intake-alignment.460538/#post-3614134

I am basing my idea on old school factory cold air intake systems used on 60's era muscle cars. Just an idea until I set up for a tune.

Hi Eltee,

Thanks for the reply. I was actually considering pretty much the same thing to get a ram air effect after looking at everything when both airboxes were off the x. On N/A vehicles the ram air effect can actually help a bit, but on turbocharged things are different. It will help with turbos by allowing cooler air to be readily available when vehicle is at speed.

On my make believe perfect high flow cold air intake, I have twin conical filters (one for each turbo) with a balance tube, enclosed in an airbox that gets its air supply from two ram air scoops strategically placed in high pressure areas behind the grill. I found (in a popular muscle car catalog) ram air kits that have a pair of scoops and flexible duct that would work great for this. Actually started building this setup for my FFR Cobra.

***FYI for those fellow X'ers considering the MDesign straight through CAI, the inside diameter is a bit smaller than the factory airbox connections are.

Thanks again Eltee for the heads up. I suppose I need to see how difficult it is to take of the grill to gain access to some future ram air locations.

IMO, the factory air box with a high flow filter element. As mentioned above the MDesign (the only TRUE CAI I've seen for the Ex) has smaller intake tubes (less volume, no bueno). The remainder of aftermarket intakes are "warm" air intakes because they are not fully enclosed, which is not what anyone is looking for when you are searching for the coolest/densest air charge possible. I ran the Livernois/ Airaid for a month (before I installed my Ultragauge to monitor IAT's). I found I was running easily 30-50 degrees over ambient. IAT's would shoot up and take forever to come back down. With the reinstalled factory box I rarely go above 10 degrees over ambient unless I am sitting in stop and go traffic for extended periods. The factory box also gets my IAT's back near ambient MUCH quicker than the open box Airaid ever could and it still never got close. I sold the Airaid. Unless it is a fully sealed box like the factory unit it is not a CAI and naturally, unless you have tuned your ECU, there will be no noticeable performance benefit with any CAI.....so why then even waste the money. Again, my opinion (with a lil data to back it up). Get a KNN insert for your factory box, the Livernois 93 octane tune, 3-bar MAF sensor, cooler thermostat and bam, you're done (for Stage 1/ returnable to stock performance anyhow).

Check out aFe’s web site, they have a cai for the 11-18 Ex Sport that uses the Ex’s factory lower air box so you still get the cold air coming from the air inlet. The system is called the Magnum Force Stage 2 Pro 5R CAI System #54-12622. I have the version for the XLT 3.5 n/a with the snap on cover. It is very loud, the OEM lower air box seems to amplify the sound. Good luck with whatever you go with.

Check out aFe’s web site, they have a cai for the 11-18 Ex Sport that uses the Ex’s factory lower air box so you still get the cold air coming from the air inlet. The system is called the Magnum Force Stage 2 Pro 5R CAI System #54-12622. I have the version for the XLT 3.5 n/a with the snap on cover. It is very loud, the OEM lower air box seems to amplify the sound. Good luck with whatever you go with.

Wow, that is amazing news. Finally a CAI that provides 35% more airflow. We get to keep the lower box so that the hot air goes straight out as the stock one does.

I need to watch some videos at first. Very loud? how loud? haha, I don't want to scare off the neighbors.

It’s only loud when your accelerate or punch it. When I said it’s very loud that’s just my opinion. I still like it and the optional snap on cover softens the volume a little, plus the cover helps to keep in the cold air. I haven’t scared any niehbors I startled my wife and scared to of my niehbors cats that where hiding under my X when I reved the engine!:D

I forgot too mention, if you decide to go wth aFe you can get thru Amazon usually for around 20.00 less than from aFe.

That's pretty cool to know. I never knew this. I have been on this site for many years and the CAI was always considered to be a hot air intake. Now with this new design they allow us to keep a part of CAI box that vents the hot air out the same way as the stock one, plus it adds more air and makes the sound better. Cant wait to hear those turbos spooling. Will do some more research on this.

So what do other people think about this aFe? Are they legit?

I don’t know anyone with the aFe cai. But their cai and other products have 4-5 star ratings on amazon if that means anything to you. I have only had my on for 2.5 weeks but I am happy with it and the it’s quality. I am going to order the Livernois tuner in the next day or two, then I will get the aFe’s full benefits! I will report on everything then. If I see or hear anything else in the meantime on aFe I’ll let you know.

I have a 2017 Sport and currently using an aFe POWER 54-12622 Magnum FORCE Stage-2 Pro 5R Cold Air Intake System. On warm southern California days, nothing noticeable in both sound and performance. On cold days it does feel a bit more responsive versus the stock box.

They should start calling them "hot air intakes".

Just yanked the mdesign and installed the new air raid cai. It is a true cai with a big box (similar to stock and uses stock mount) and scoop that connects to the grill like stock. Better driveability in hot weather with a nice mooooaaann when kicked. Way glad i did it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just yanked the mdesign and installed the new air raid cai. It is a true cai with a big box (similar to stock and uses stock mount) and scoop that connects to the grill like stock. Better driveability in hot weather with a nice mooooaaann when kicked. Way glad i did it.

You got a link for it?

Back