Bad or Burnt Exhaust smell in cabin during hard acceleration. | Page 113 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Has anyone heard of, found, or experienced a solution to the Ford Explorer exhaust issue?

• Total voters
Apparently there is a class action lawsuit or settlement underway out of the US District Court for The Southern District of Florida that says "you may be entitled to money if you paid for a repair to address exhaust odor in the passenger compartment of your 2011-2015 Explorer". More detailed information can be found at this website:

www.ExplorerExhaustSettlement.com

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Apparently there is a class action lawsuit or settlement underway out of the US District Court for The Southern District of Florida that says "you may be entitled to money if you paid for a repair to address exhaust odor in the passenger compartment of your 2011-2015 Explorer". More detailed information can be found at this website:

Yup, I got my postcard in the mail yesterday from them.

Any TSB that includes the 16 and 17 MY?

I don't know if Ford has released TSB 16-0166 officially yet, but you may want to ask for this exhaust system upgrade on this TSB to be replaced on your vehicle,
My vehicle is a 2015 limited and I do not know if this can be done on your vehicle, but you may want to check on it.
It has improved the exhaust smell about 60-70% so far. I will get a better idea in the heat of the summer when we run the air conditioning to see more improvement.
Let me know if Ford as released this TSB as official and if it can be done on your vehicle.
It didn't help mine at all. You don't smell the fumes when you run the heat. When you run the air on any settings. The fumes will give you an instant headache. Mine is so bad that I can't go anywhere with my grandkids in the back seat. I've had it in the service department 5 times. Still NO FIX! I'm considering just trading my vehicle for something else. It WILL NOT be another FORD. I've always loved Fords, but this is ridiculous. They should recall all of them and refund your money. I will not pay over $600 a month for a death trap.

....... They should recall all of them and refund your money. I will not pay over $600 a month for a death trap.
The problem is that this issue doesn't affect "all of them". I'm guessing the majority don't. Neither of mine have had the problem and neither have the other three owners in the area that I've spoke with. I agree that for those that are affected it is a major concern, especially since the company hasn't been able to fix it. I'm interested to see if the latest TSB is effective.

Peter

I also received the postcards in the mail today for the lawsuit.Our '13 Ex. has been odor free since day 1.

It didn't help mine at all. You don't smell the fumes when you run the heat. When you run the air on any settings. The fumes will give you an instant headache. Mine is so bad that I can't go anywhere with my grandkids in the back seat. I've had it in the service department 5 times. Still NO FIX! I'm considering just trading my vehicle for something else. It WILL NOT be another FORD. I've always loved Fords, but this is ridiculous. They should recall all of them and refund your money. I will not pay over $600 a month for a death trap.

Recall ALL of them?? Why?? Majority of them DON'T have an issue and there hasn't been 1 person on the forum that has bought a monitor to check levels as seen anything that is even remotely in the dangerous level or concerning level or excessive levels.

PS - No need to use all caps on words.

Same situation here. If I run 91-93 there is no odor. 87-89 I notice it right away.

I have a 93 tune and it's there with 93 for me...but some days are better than others...very strange

Will Canadian customers be included in this suit or do we have to have a separate one?

A portion of the notice from the US District Court below. Kind of interesting that Ford denies all allegations of wrong doing asserted, but they are willing to settle. I'm just guessing, but can't help but think that this is probably cheaper than a recall or facing any potential health issue related claim(s), plus it may keep them out of the news, time will tell.

UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT, SOUTHERN DISTRICT OF FLORIDA

If you had a model year 2011-2015 Ford Explorer, you could get benefits from a class action settlement A court authorized this Notice.

This is not a solicitation from a lawyer. Please read this Notice carefully; it affects your legal rights.

NATURE OF THE SETTLEMENT

The Named Plaintiff in this case alleges that model year 2011-2015 Ford Explorers are defectively designed and manufactured so that Exhaust Odor may enter the passenger compartment of these vehicles when they are driven at wide open throttle and with the internal ventilation on recirculate. Plaintiff has asserted nationwide claims under federal and state express and implied warranty laws, and under consumer protection statutes. The Court has conditionally certified the lawsuit as a nationwide class action for the purposes of settlement.

Ford denies all allegations of wrongdoing asserted, including that the Class Vehicles are defective and that Ford is liable to any buyer, lessee, or operator of the Class Vehicles under any legal claim. Nonetheless, Ford has agreed to settle the Litigation by providing the benefits described in the Notice.

SETTLEMENT CLASS: The following Settlement Class has been conditionally certified: All entities and natural persons in the United States (including its Territories and the District of Columbia) who currently own or lease (or who in the past owned or leased) a model year 2011-2015 Ford Explorer that was sold or leased in the United States.

SETTLEMENT BENEFITS: If the Court approves the proposed Settlement at the Fairness Hearing that is scheduled for June 14, 2017, Ford will provide the following benefits to Class Members:

Notice of New Technical Service Bulletin (TSB). You are hereby notified that Ford will issue a New Exhaust Odor TSB describing updated procedures to address Exhaust Odor in the Class Vehicles. The TSB may include two phases of service: (1) air conditioning system recalibration and sealing of gaps in the passenger compartment; and, (2) if Ford and its Authorized Ford Dealer determines that phase (1) did not eliminate the Exhaust Odor in vehicles equipped with a normally aspirated 3.5-liter Twin Independent Variable Camshaft Timing (“TiVCT”) engine, additional services may be performed, including installation of a modified exhaust system. Ford may, but is not required to, issue a Future Exhaust Odor TSB that supersedes the New Exhaust Odor TSB.

Reimbursement for Post-Warranty Repairs for Exhaust Odor. Ford will provide one of the following two benefits to Class Members (Class Members can seek one, but not both, of these benefits):

a) In-Warranty Repair Owners. Settlement Class Members who present to Ford service records from an Authorized Ford Dealer showing that, prior to dissemination of this Class Notice, and during the Bumper-to-Bumper Warranty Coverage Period applicable to their Class Vehicle, (1) they obtained one or more Exhaust Odor Repairs to their Class Vehicle, or (2) were denied an Exhaust Odor Repair after the Authorized Ford Dealer diagnosed Exhaust Odor in their Class Vehicle (“In-Warranty Repair Owners”), and who present to Ford evidence that they incurred Out-of-Pocket Expenses obtaining an Exhaust Odor Repair to that same Class Vehicle within the later of (1) 3 years/36,000 miles after the vehicle was placed in service (whichever comes first), or (2) 60 days after the Effective Date of Settlement, may receive from Ford reimbursement of such Out-of-Pocket Expenses up to a maximum of $175. If the Exhaust Odor Repair for which an In-Warranty Repair Owner seeks reimbursement of Out-of-Pocket Expenses involves installation of a modified exhaust system in a Class Vehicle equipped with a normally aspirated 3.5-liter TiVCT engine as described in the New Exhaust Odor TSB, the Settlement Class Member may receive from Ford a reimbursement of the Out-of-Pocket Expenses for this repair up to a maximum of $500. In-Warranty Repair Owners may submit claims for up to two qualifying Exhaust Odor Repairs per Class Vehicle under this provision.

b) Post-Warranty Repair Owners. Settlement Class Members who did not¸ prior to dissemination of this Class Notice, obtain an Exhaust Odor Repair or obtain a documented diagnosis of Exhaust Oder from an Authorized Ford Dealer during the Bumper-to-Bumper Warranty Coverage Period (“Post-Warranty Repair Owners”), and who present to Ford evidence that they incurred Out-of-Pocket Expenses obtaining an Exhaust Odor Repair to that same Class Vehicle within the later of (1) 60 days after the Effective Date of Settlement, or (2) 60 days after the expiration of the Bumper-to-Bumper Warranty Coverage Period, may receive from Ford reimbursement of such Out-of-Pocket Expenses up to a maximum of $175. Post-Warranty Repair Owners may submit claims for up to two qualifying Exhaust Odor Repairs per Class Vehicle under this provision.

Inability to Repair Remedy. Settlement Class Members who obtained one or more Exhaust Odor Repairs to their Class Vehicle during the Bumper-to-Bumper Warranty Coverage Period or during the pendency of a Ford Extended Warranty, and who receive a repair to the same Class Vehicle under the New Exhaust Odor TSB (including, if applicable, installation of a modified exhaust system in a Class Vehicle equipped with a normally aspirated 3.5-liter TiVCT engine) or any then-applicable Future Exhaust Odor TSB that fails to resolve the presence of Exhaust Odor in their Class Vehicle may, within six months after notifying the Authorized Ford Dealer that the repair was unsuccessful, and thereafter providing the dealer with an additional opportunity to correct the repair (i.e., the Settlement Class Member must give the Authorized Ford Dealer two chances to perform the most currently available Exhaust Odor TSB repair), submit for mediation followed by (if necessary) binding arbitration to the Better Business Bureau (“BBB”) AUTO LINE program a claim for violation of the Lemon Law and/or breach of Ford’s New Vehicle Limited Warranty under the laws of the Settlement Class Member’s state. Stated more simply, for a Settlement Class Member to bring a BBB claim, (1) the Class Vehicle must have received an Exhaust Odor Repair during the basic or extended warranty coverage period, (2) at least two attempts must have been made to perform a New Exhaust Odor TSB repair (or a Future Exhaust Odor TSB repair if there is one), and (3) the Class Vehicle must still be experiencing Exhaust Odor.

For the purpose of any such BBB AUTO LINE claim by a Settlement Class Member under this provision of the Settlement, Ford waives the following defenses: (1) that the Exhaust Odor is allegedly caused by a design defect, (2) that the statute of limitations for such claims expired before end of the extended period for obtaining partially subsidized post-warranty Exhaust Odor Repairs
established by the above section (i.e., 3 years/36,000 miles; 60 days after Effective Date of Settlement; 60 days after expiration of the Bumper-to-Bumper Warranty Coverage Period). Ford preserves all other applicable defenses to such claims, including whether the Authorized Ford Dealer has made a sufficient number of repair attempts to support the Settlement Class Member’s claims, the
requirements with respect to which are set forth in the prior paragraph, and whether the Class Vehicle is defective. Ford will pay all costs of mediating and/or arbitrating claims by Settlement Class Members made to BBB AUTO LINE under this provision. An award of attorneys’ fees will not be available through the BBB AUTO LINE program. Arbitration determinations by BBB AUTO LINE will be final and binding upon Settlement Class Members and Ford, with no right of appeal or further litigation.

You will receive these benefits only if the Court approves the proposed Settlement following the Fairness Hearing on June 14, 2017, and only if you remain a Member of the Settlement Class. If you exclude yourself from the Settlement, you will not receive any benefits.

To monitor the status of the proposed Settlement, to learn if and when it is approved, and to obtain Claims Forms, you may visit www.ExplorerExhaustSettlement.com or call 1-855-581-1279. (Claim Forms will not be available unless and until the Settlement is approved.)

ATTORNEYS’ FEES, EXPENSES, AND SERVICE AWARDS: Class Counsel have pursued the Litigation on a contingent basis and have paid all the costs of the Litigation. They have not yet been paid or recovered any of their expenses. As part of the proposed Settlement, Class Counsel will ask the Court to award them up to $5 million in attorneys’ fees and expenses, and to approve a $60,000 service award to be divided among the Named Plaintiff and Unnamed Plaintiffs (named plaintiffs who pursued other related class action lawsuits). The Court will decide the amount of the fee award, the expense award, and the service award at the Fairness Hearing. None of these payments will reduce the benefits that you, as a Settlement Class Member, receive. Ford will pay any money the Court awards to Class Counsel and to the Named Plaintiff and Unnamed Plaintiffs.

So i got the card in the mail today. And it says they have a fix and i haven't read the entire thread...is the fix legit? Or just another trip to still have the issue happen?

I have a weird coolant/engine smell when the heat is on or AC when at a standstill..when driving it isn't there

It's funny...when i first installed my tune...it went completely away..but then came back

So i got the card in the mail today. And it says they have a fix and i haven't read the entire thread...is the fix legit? Or just another trip to still have the issue happen?

I have a weird coolant/engine smell when the heat is on or AC when at a standstill..when driving it isn't there
The TSB is apparently recent and I don't think anyone here has had it done yet. It is mentioned in post #2242. A link to the TSB is in the TSB thread. I believe the coolant smell is another issue.

Peter

Someone on here had the updated mufflers installed and said it helped but didn't clear the whole thing.

Another example of lawyers getting rich and owners getting nothing ($175).

Someone on here had the updated mufflers installed and said it helped but didn't clear the whole thing.

Another example of lawyers getting rich and owners getting nothing ($175).

That sucks if they need to replace the mufflers...i have magnaflows...

Recall ALL of them?? Why?? Majority of them DON'T have an issue and there hasn't been 1 person on the forum that has bought a monitor to check levels as seen anything that is even remotely in the dangerous level or concerning level or excessive levels.

Do you have information stating that majority of 2011 - 2015 don't have this issue? According to the notice the only way to find out if an Explorer has the issue is to drive your Explorer at wide open throttle and with the internal ventilation on recirculate. So, unless an owner has done this how would they know? Also, why did you receive the postcard? Clearly if there are Explorers out there without this defect, the owners should not have received this postcard, unless Ford does not know exactly which ones have this defect or not.

Not saying that anyone or air quality monitor is incompetent or faulty, respectively, I would not trust this information since each Explorer could have own unique set of circumstances.

On a related note, I think the internal water pump has a very good chance to go down a similar path as this one, depending on the failure rate of the inner seal that allows coolant into the engine oil. The inner seal should have been designed to be iron clad and any owner's engine that seizes due to failure of the internal water pump seal before 150,000 miles is unacceptable IMO. Even though it's an expensive repair, I do understand a water pump failing and coolant being leaked out external to the engine block not causing engine damage.

I've seen some posts here and there also stating this information but it seems a bit dated, so I figured I'd make a new post and see what people have to say.

Sometimes when I accelerate >~3500RPM I can smell what I assume is exhaust fumes. This obviously shouldn't be happening, I mainly drive with windows cracked/down so this isn't a huge issue yet, but I have a lot of road trips planned and I would rather not put my passengers in danger to these fumes.

What is the solution to this issue presently? Has Ford acknowledged the issue and come out with a fix/recall? If I take it to a dealership are they going to already know what it is and have a fix available or will they have to look into the issue to figure out what is causing it.

If a solution is known, how expensive is it, and is it covered by warranties? (I have a warranty through CarMax, I would hope it'd be covered under my warranty)

Thanks,
Zohli

I've seen some posts here and there also stating this information but it seems a bit dated, so I figured I'd make a new post and see what people have to say.

Sometimes when I accelerate >~3500RPM I can smell what I assume is exhaust fumes. This obviously shouldn't be happening, I mainly drive with windows cracked/down so this isn't a huge issue yet, but I have a lot of road trips planned and I would rather not put my passengers in danger to these fumes.

What is the solution to this issue presently? Has Ford acknowledged the issue and come out with a fix/recall? If I take it to a dealership are they going to already know what it is and have a fix available or will they have to look into the issue to figure out what is causing it.

If a solution is known, how expensive is it, and is it covered by warranties? (I have a warranty through CarMax, I would hope it'd be covered under my warranty)

Thanks,
Zohli
Your thread has been merged with this one on the same issue. No need to start a new one. All your questions should have answers here. I suggest starting from the latest posts and working backwards. As for your warranty you'd have to check that with them. 3rd party warranties are not always as inclusive.

Peter

Turn off re-circulatory on the A/C otherwise you're just getting those fumes over and over again. I usually leave mine off because of this issue and only turn it on when it's a must because of someone's poorly maintained vehicle.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

PS - No need to use all caps on words.
For your information my husband has put a gas monitor in my vehicle that he has to use at work. It went off every time during hard acceleration.

Back