Finding EE Sway Bar or having a custom bent up? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Finding EE Sway Bar or having a custom bent up?

Oh well, it was worth a try. I had Addco custom make a front bar long ago for my Ranchero(1.25"), and they made me one for my Mountaineer about seven years ago, a 1.5" bar.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Oh well, it was worth a try. I had Addco custom make a front bar long ago for my Ranchero(1.25"), and they made me one for my Mountaineer about seven years ago, a 1.5" bar.

Yea, I called Addco today too. No luck. 1" it is.

Work on the end links also, those have a big affect on the stiffness or responsiveness. Worn rubber bushings in the end links greatly reduce the resistance to roll. The frame bushings are the easiest to convert to urethane, for common applications and bar sizes.

With a bar you think is a little small, use polyurethane bushings, or if you can get them made, spherical ends which have no deflection.
The Crown Vics for example have no bushings in the end links, just small spherical ends. The factory Ford front end links also don't use rubber, the plastic things in them don't deflect much either.

News!

Seeing as how I am stubborn and it seemed that the person I spoke with at Addco didn't have a lot of conviction in their tone when they told me that they no longer do custom orders, I sent them an email. I just received a response back saying that they are currently swamped but that perhaps around mid summer they would be able to handle a custom order.

Good deal, they always used to be a fairly good customer oriented company. The only thing I;d worry about is the hardware, what they use always seemed to be low end quality. When I installed the 1.5" front bar, I had bought an Energy Suspension end link kit ahead of time, expecting to now like their bushings etc. I used some of their parts, like the end link bolt and spacers. The frame brackets they made were very poor to fit the bolts into, I had new ones made by a local machinist.

So get the bar for sure, but plan to use the stock end links, which didn't come with the Explorer Express bar either.

0062d8b796c894befa0d999616d4271d.image.750x503.jpg

This is a 1.5" Hellwig bar for a Sprinter Van. Closest sway bar I could find that matches the explorer but can't find any measurements for the width between the ends.

Thought I'd share.

Cool, I'd like to have those frame bushings, for spares. That bar couldn't work since the end are turned 90* from where they need to be for the link bushings(vertical bolt).

Could you use a different endlink with that Addco Sprinter bar, maybe like this one...?

sja-sbe702_ml.jpg

That bar looks really narrow too, I'd bet it's a foot or more too short. Altering the bar I don't think would be a good idea. Has anyone asked about Addco making more of the fronts in 1.5"? I like mine a lot, it was a good match to the EE rear bar. I wanted to put urethane in the rear end links to get a slightly better balance. Mine has a hair of under steer now, no over steer like the EE rear bar can create. That's about the ideal balance for me.

Not to get off topic here, but does anyone know what the measurements were of the EE front sway bar? Is it that much better than stock?

My Bad.

A Hellwig is actually pictured but Addco and Roadmaster also make bars.

Article-Sprinter-3500jpg_large.jpg

Even better if its too small. Cut the bar in half and machine a spacer, slide both sides in to correct length, then weld.

Those endlinks wouldn't be a problem if you got a bar with mounting holes that are facing upwards like some are.

Last take off Sprinter bar I seen was only $40 on ebay.

Not to get off topic here, but does anyone know what the measurements were of the EE front sway bar? Is it that much better than stock?
Did they make a 2nd gen front bar? The 95-97's were hollow, so the solid 98-01's are the best readily available at 34mm.

Did they make a 2nd gen front bar? The 95-97's were hollow, so the solid 98-01's are the best readily available at 34mm.
Addco part no. 737 appears to be an upgrade. I could be wrong though. And converting measurements, it would be a 38mm.

Cool, that must be the exact same bar as I have.

Even better if its too small. Cut the bar in half and machine a spacer, slide both sides in to correct length, then weld.

I would think that welding would change the properties of the metal, thus creating stress/weak points.
The spacer would be a different metal than the swaybar, so it would not twist like the swaybar, thus more stress/weak points.

I am not a welder, so these are just guesses on my part. I can ask my buddie who teaches welding, to get his opinions, if anyone is curious.

Here's the idea...

index.php

index.php

My Pop shortened a 69' Firebird front end and put it on His 50' Chevy Coupe.

Welding CroMo? I dunno...

The steering arms can be welded better without issues. Sway bars function by constant twisting forces in them. I'd bet simple welds wouldn't survive very long. I'd rather try harder to get an intact bar to do the job. Some race cars use simple straight steel bars with special attachments on each end for attachment and adjustments.

Ah-Ha!

So do you see any problems with making spacers for the axle mounts so as to clear the diff with a straight bar?

The parts are cramped in there around the sway bar and frame, but there may be a straight line of space near where the OEM bar runs. Note that the 95-01's have it mounted on the vertical part of the frame, and 98-01's mount it under the frame a few inches away from the same place.

How much is the Addco 1.5" front bar now, is it too high now? They would be the place to get one from. Here they are being asked to make a bigger rear bar, and may do it this Summer. On the Mark VII forum, they are talking Addco into making their rear bar for that car, which is also tough to come by. I'm glad they are still in business.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The parts are cramped in there around the sway bar and frame, but there may be a straight line of space near where the OEM bar runs. Note that the 95-01's have it mounted on the vertical part of the frame, and 98-01's mount it under the frame a few inches away from the same place.

How much is the Addco 1.5" front bar now, is it too high now? They would be the place to get one from. Here they are being asked to make a bigger rear bar, and may do it this Summer. On the Mark VII forum, they are talking Addco into making their rear bar for that car, which is also tough to come by. I'm glad they are still in business.

Summit Racing has it for $296.

Back