03 lincoln aviator | Page 23 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

03 lincoln aviator

I see, the heads for sure but not much else. I think this Pull A Part here has plenty of people who go straight to the heads and intake for a lot of popular Fords. The 302's are quickly without heads/intake. I'll try to get there next week, I'm in the middle of my sister's Wrangler suspension, and my dad is back in the hospital.
The front spindles and control arms can be made to fit the explorers also to get the 13" brakes..i dont know all the details though

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Those would probably still be there for a while. Was that for 3rd gen's only, the 02-05's?

Those would probably still be there for a while. Was that for 3rd gen's only, the 02-05's?
Dont know to be honest. .i seen a thread on here somewhere

Found someone parting out a aviator so grabbed some parts..got a 3.73 ls rear end,passenger axle (i tore my boot) and a tailight..paid $140

Going to throw new seals and some carbon fiber clutches in it..should help some ""down low"" i got 3.55 open right now.

20170415_120419_zpstd83n9be.jpg

Good parts, you will love the 3.73 gears versus the 3.55's. Those should have had 3.73's stock, and 4.10's should be an option. You will not lose any fuel economy with that gear set. The older 4.0 OHV Explorers get best mileage with 3.73's, and the OHC engines run more rpm.

You might want AWD before long if you get the blower going in it.

I found an old Ford tech who had switched dealerships, and he has a newish 3.73 front carrier I've wanted for a long time. I'm planning the limited slip differentials now, before the boost.

Good parts, you will love the 3.73 gears versus the 3.55's. Those should have had 3.73's stock, and 4.10's should be an option. You will not lose any fuel economy with that gear set. The older 4.0 OHV Explorers get best mileage with 3.73's, and the OHC engines run more rpm.

You might want AWD before long if you get the blower going in it.

I found an old Ford tech who had switched dealerships, and he has a newish 3.73 front carrier I've wanted for a long time. I'm planning the limited slip differentials now, before the boost.
No awd..bought this because of 2wd..lol less stuff to break,less weight,better mpg and more power to ground

I really appreciate the AWD in the snow. I bet it will be similar with 500hp.:bounce:

Well went to install the rear end today and cracked it open to replace the clutches and it was a open diff not a LS...

So now im looking for a ls IRS carrier or just the side gears from a LS IRS carrier? ? Anyone??

I also decided to order bearings and 4.10 gears as this 3.73 open is basically worthless,im going to have to set gears up if i find a LS carrier so might as well just get the gears i want and set them up if i gota set any up

Well i got everything in and went to find my ls 8.8 carrier i had from a old solid 8.8 i had and turns out i gave it one of my buddies who gave it to someone, who gave it to someone,who gave it to someone they cant remember. .

So i went to America muscle and found a 8.8 31 spline ls carrier with carbon fiber gears that says it fits both solid or irs for $180

So going to send back the carbon fiber clutches i got from summit for $112 and the side gears i got from rock auto for $136..

i got new 4.10 gears from a member on here for $80,then got a timken master bearing kit for $101 and all new seals

Saved me some money so lets hope it fits!! Mann this has been a PITA!!

Screenshot_2017-05-02-17-41-22_zpsx91yaxqw.png

Screenshot_2017-05-02-17-41-47_zpsr7yueltl.png

But to confirm there is a difference in a irs and solid side spider gears..here is a picture of both..notice how the splines dont go all the way to the end on the irs where they do on the solid..the irs still has a groove for a c-clip from a solid axles also so they will accept both types of axles..

Solid. .
20170504_111925_zpshrer1xvj.jpg

IRS..
20170504_110218_zpsrovfswfg.jpg

20170504_105803_zpsqkjauywl.jpg

So in the end an IRS carrier will fit a solid but a factory solid carrier won't go into an IRS without different side gears.

Or is that ford racing diff just made to fit both?

So in the end an IRS carrier will fit a solid but a factory solid carrier won't go into an IRS without different side gears.

Or is that ford racing diff just made to fit both?
A solid carrier will work with irs side gears..a irs carrier will accept both types of axles,this carrier is outa a 03-04 cobra

Well pulled one of the 3 diffs i have apart tonight, i have one 3.55,one 3.73 and the one in truck thats a 3.55..i chose the 3.55 one thats not in the truck as the 3.73 is more desirable and i now have it sold..

The 3.55 had writting inside the cover in paint pin,said ""pacco" and some numbers..i dont know what that meant but it has newish Timken bearings in it so its been rebuilt. .

I forgot to get axle shaft bearings so overnighted them from advance, i have all new timken bearings/seals for it already. .

Degreased,pressure washed and bead blasted the case and cover(ive got a new blasting cabinet at work :) )..looked brand new but as the normal it got painted...and yes BLUE!! Haha tomorrow going to throw it together and try to set it up..

Im pretty excited to see what this truck does with 4.10s,it definitely struggles out the hole till you hit about 3500-4000..i hear nothing but complaints about the 4v not making power down low,im trying to make as much as possible to get this thing moving!!..

Some pics..
20170504_175321_zpsz16bi4ol.jpg

20170504_175301_zpscddtf8f9.jpg

Well after 5 hours i couldnt get a pattern i was satisfied with and then i dropped all the carrier shims on the ground pulling the carrier back out..Ive worked 8 hours of the hardest ive ever worked at my job today,then 5 hours of trying to setup a rearend..To say the least i lost my cool and had to go melt the tires of the work truck..

Ill try again tomorrow after some rest and on a clear mind..

Well after another 4 hours and trying EVERYTHING,i went with the best pattern i could get..its more towards the toe or inside on the coast side than id like but it just wouldn't get any better,the drive side is pretty much dead center.both patterns are pretty wide and slightly spaced from the crown of the tooth..i ended up with a .030 shim on pinion, .250 driverside and .280 on passenger..i also went a little tight on the pinion and the carrier bearings as they are brand new..preload i ended up at .011, little more than the .008 the gears called for but still in specs for a IRS (.006-.012) and it gave me the best pattern. .

Tore the old one out and put the new one in this afternoon, took me about 2 hours and that was including about 30 mins for the rtv to ""dry""..

first impressions are good..its much quieter than my old one..no wines or growls.it also just rained and where i would easily get one tire to spin around turns or taking off,it spins both and grips now..i haven't got crazy with it,letting things settle and clutches break in..the gears were already broke in,then removed before i received them..

I need to get my tuner sent to SCT to get unlocked or start looking for another, i can get them for $150 or less..the one i bought for $100 ended up still being married. .

The speedo is about 10mph off at 60..with 3.55 i turned 2,000 rpms @70mph and now with the 4.10s i turn 2,250@70mph..it also is messing with my shift points..

All and all im very happy i went with 4.10s as i dont think its that much of a difference,but slightly noticeable and i wouldve been disappointed with 3.73..ill have to see after i can really get on it and get my tuner on it..

Well done, good patience. I've never set up the gears before, only the backlash a few times. That's going to be a fun truck now all the time.

So 4.10s are the **** in this truck..this truck should've came with them stock..it definitely gets up and moves much better..it gets the rpms up into the power band much much faster and when the secondaries open it pins you again to the seat..down shifts are crazy,i swear it trys to break loose from a 3rd or 2nd to first gear down shift . having the LS is nice too and needed..

I emailed my tuner to get me a base tune going..he going to adjust speedo for 4.10s and 28.5 tires, delete the 2nd O2s,raise my red line to 6800, adjust shift firmness and timing..im not having him do anything else to the motor right now,its burning to much oil and timing is being pulled..

After that i think im done till the ranger motor is swapped..then ill start on the stroker.ive gota get the block from my buddy still also.

why didn't you go with a helical carrier?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

He's talking about a Torson or basically a limited slip without clutch packs. They are about 3x the cost of that ford racing limited slip so I'm sure that might be a reason.

I have one it my front diff and love it but they arnt cheap.

Back