towing package myths ?? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

towing package myths ??

My XLT does not have 4WD.

But, it does have the same axle ratio as mine with 4WD so that means, the lower axle ratio is part of the tow package. My door tag is similar to yours in the 'codes' for the tranny and the axle.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for posting. Just make it more confusing.
As I said before, I only did research on my specific truck/year/model
I have ordered the factory shop manual, that should shed some light on this issue

At least with my 2011, there are 4 transmissions. FWD without select shift, AWD with select shift, FWD WITH select shift (came with factory tow package only) and AWD WITH select shift (came with factory tow package). The trans on the right are the 6F55 and the trans on the left are the 6F50 and they have different costs so they ARE different.

Myth busted

Screen%20Shot%202017-04-18%20at%206.07.05%20PM_zpsyfyjvkox.png

Order Guide - trans with select shift has different order code which comes again, with Tow package only (code 44c).

Screen%20Shot%202017-04-18%20at%206.07.38%20PM_zps7kk1yzqd.png

And no matter what you do to the Ex even to match the options, feature for feature, it still will only be rated for 2,000lbs. Same with all the F250 owners that swap the parts for the F350... same exact truck, ratings don't increase legally.

And then there are the 2 different radiators available.

1 WITH towing package AA8Z-8005-D $319.78
2) Without towing package BB5Z-8005-A $307.91

As Peter stated, it is a thicker radiator for more cooling.

Screen%20Shot%202017-04-18%20at%206.13.32%20PM_zpslx3lzfbs.png

Fords trying to keep you from overheating and blowing up your transmission when overloaded, that's why they made a tow option. They assume you are driving up steep hills etcs, if you are only towing on flat roads and not in very hot climates it shouldn't be a problem but not advised.

Does anyone know if the tow option changes the rear springs or shocks?

Fords trying to keep you from overheating and blowing up your transmission when overloaded, that's why they made a tow option. They assume you are driving up steep hills etcs, if you are only towing on flat roads and not in very hot climates it shouldn't be a problem but not advised.

Does anyone know if the tow option changes the rear springs or shocks?

To my knowledge it does not. It is more of a powertrain issue. Between power, cooling and shifting... those seem to be the only differences which are major IMO.

that is a blanket statement with no fact to support it's application to all years/models
100% sure that in the case of MY truck the radiator is exactly the same
Although I can't be sure, I doubt he just pulled those measurements out of thin air.
There is also a different radiator than the one you mentioned. EB5Z-8005-A is shown as being for 3.5L non turbo, without awd, without oil cooler. 3.5L non turbo, without trailer tow, from 9/02/13.

Peter

According to page 3 of this brochure of 2016 Explorer models, the XLT Class III Trailer Tow Package consists of:
Class III Trailer Tow Package: includes class III trailer hitch receiver, engine oil cooler and 7-/4-pin
wiring harness (requires 3.5L Ti-VCT engine)

It does not explain any other difference to the vehicle, like transmission type, trans cooler, brakes, etc. Strangely, page 1, under Standard features: Mechanical: states that Trailer Sway Control is standard equipment (?).
The way I read it the Limited, Sport and Platinum models may have other Class III Tow Package descriptions or package options, like engines & axle ratios.
The Platinum models have an axle ratio of 3.16 vs the XLT's standard 3.39 un-limited slip.

I wonder if the engineers and the brochure writers got all their facts straight...

Although I can't be sure, I doubt he just pulled those measurements out of thin air.
There is also a different radiator than the one you mentioned. EB5Z-8005-A is shown as being for 3.5L non turbo, without awd, without oil cooler. 3.5L non turbo, without trailer tow, from 9/02/13.
Correct, there is even a 3rd one ,EB5Z-8005-E for 3.5, non turbo, non AWD, with oil cooler
Peter
Correct, there is even a 3rd one ,EB5Z-8005-E for 3.5, non turbo, non AWD, with oil cooler. But for my 4WD/AWD truck, there is only 1 radiator. Oil cooler or not
I think that it is fair to say that with so many models over so many years ( 11 to 17) making a blanket statement regarding what is included or not in the towing package is very misleading.
Beside the radiator in my specific truck, if the 6F50 was never used for the towing package, why do some explorers ( as mine )have a working tow/haul mode???
Anyhow, as I said at the beginning, I only researched my truck

According to page 3 of this brochure of 2016 Explorer models, the XLT Class III Trailer Tow Package consists of:
Class III Trailer Tow Package: includes class III trailer hitch receiver, engine oil cooler and 7-/4-pin
wiring harness (requires 3.5L Ti-VCT engine)

It does not explain any other difference to the vehicle, like transmission type, trans cooler, brakes, etc. Strangely, page 1, under Standard features: Mechanical: states that Trailer Sway Control is standard equipment (?).
The way I read it the Limited, Sport and Platinum models may have other Class III Tow Package descriptions or package options, like engines & axle ratios.
The Platinum models have an axle ratio of 3.16 vs the XLT's standard 3.39 un-limited slip.

I wonder if the engineers and the brochure writers got all their facts straight...

...and the same page say that 4WD is required for towing packages on the base explorer but not on the XLT ?????????

...and the same page say that 4WD is required for towing packages on the base explorer but not on the XLT ?????????
I believe that was a requirement for the 2.3L EB motor only..

I tow a 20' center console with my 2011 XLT, 3.5 NA 4WD using an aftermarket 2" Draw-Tite receiver with no issues. 3500 lbs give or take. All this hand wringing over factory vs after market, 2000 vs 5000 is just that....hand wringing. No issues, no concerns, temps are normal. I simply manage the transmission where necessary to not let it lug in OD. Currently at 95K miles.

Meh.

I tow a 20' center console with my 2011 XLT, 3.5 NA 4WD using an aftermarket 2" Draw-Tite receiver with no issues. 3500 lbs give or take. All this hand wringing over factory vs after market, 2000 vs 5000 is just that....hand wringing. No issues, no concerns, temps are normal. I simply manage the transmission where necessary to not let it lug in OD. Currently at 95K miles.

Meh.
Can't argue with real world results :)

very good because I'm using all the necessary factory parts and they already provided all the wiring and electronic.
To deny warranty they will have to prove the direct relation between what I did and the issues and if it is due to a FORD part that i installed, they will have to prove that it was not installed correctly or that it is not the correct part for the application.
You can't deny a claim on a transmission because you put an after-market radio.

Hopefully you don't have to find out.

I have a 3J under axle on my data tag. What ratio is that?[/QU

3J on my Ex is a 3.65. I have found no distinction between an Ex with FWD and one with the 4WD option that would change that. Therefore, I would say you have the same axle ratio as mine, IMO.:thumbsup:

Does anyone know if there's an easy way to find out which parts you need to install the OEM towing package?
It seems there's lots of varying information when it comes to transmissions (50 or 55), cooling systems, radiators, axle ratios, part numbers, etc.

When we bought our '17 XLT, none of the dealers had any trucks available with the features we needed (colour, AWD, etc), AND a factory tow package - so we got one without the tow package...
Now I'm kicking myself and trying to figure out how to get the parts for at least the OEM hidden hitch - even my closest dealer just tells me that they send all their trailer hitch referrals to a local aftermarket installation garage, and they don't do the OEM hitch!

Earlier this year the Ford Accessories Canada site showed the OEM hidden hitch and full replacement rear bumper fascia (the one the has the hole and clip cover to hide the hitch), but then they disappeared for a while and no trailer parts were available. Now recently I checked again and they've put up the hitch again, but just with a bezel that you put over the hole in the bumper (guessing you cut it yourself into existing bumper), so no clip cover to hide the hitch:
Trailer Hitch | The Official Site for Ford Accessories
Part#: GB5Z-19D520-C

But I want that OEM hidden hitch! I even called up Ford Parts and asked about the hidden hitch - the guy said he'd look into the part numbers and get back to me - he didn't of course.

So annoying...

Found the hidden cover fascia part number in an old email to my dealer, but WWW says it's for the '16: GB5Z-17K835-BA

Wouldn't it be the same part for a '17?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Per your link in your previous message, that kit fits both 16 and 17 and has that fascia in it. I would assume it would be the same on both of those years.

Back