2nd gen IFS to 1st gen suspension explorer front end swap | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2nd gen IFS to 1st gen suspension explorer front end swap

96doraXLT

Reaction score
City, State
Puyallup Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer XLT
Hey guys! Just looking for some answers because I can't seem to find anything about this on the internet but I've got a 1996 explorer and want to know if a change from the IFS suspension now to a first generation explorer front end would work with a first gen donor explorer so that I can get more lift. I've done the TT and shackles in the back already but want more lift with the ease of the previous generation explorers. If this is possible or any of you have heard about this or had experience anything helps! Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm nearing the end of this swap right now actually, but geared for offroad use and not just for more lift. Definitely not a project for the faint of heart, and only a few that I know of have done something similar. Check in my build thread for more info.

I'm nearing the end of this swap right now actually, but geared for offroad use and not just for more lift. Definitely not a project for the faint of heart, and only a few that I know of have done something similar. Check in my build thread for more info.
I'll check it out for sure! I'd also be using it for off road use as well. I'd like do be able to do a bit more that the IFS wouldn't be good for.

Have you ever looked into doing a solid axle swap? That there would get you a lot more lift and a lot more flexibility. Cheaper in the long run also.

Have you ever looked into doing a solid axle swap? That there would get you a lot more lift and a lot more flexibility. Cheaper in the long run also.
Yeah I've definitely thought about it and me and my friend have tried to look at what needs to be done but I can't find any info on it for my explorer.

Look in the Solid Axle registry here in the forum. Has TONS on info for Solid axle swaps. From 1st gen to 2nd gen to many others.

Look in the Solid Axle registry here in the forum. Has TONS on info for Solid axle swaps. From 1st gen to 2nd gen to many others.
Alright ill give it a look! Where is it here I joined a long time ago but I'm kinda just starting to use this

I have TTB under a 2nd gen. I like it but I probably would have went SAS if I did it again.

Back