Solved - Transmission servo piston shaft broke in the bore. | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved Transmission servo piston shaft broke in the bore.

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.
@PappaDoo

"Holy ****." A unique and unusual expletive, first heard by my Dad and I many years ago, when my sister's new husband, a Sailor just out of the Navy, born and raised in Pennsylvania, said that when his hammer, dinging a dent in the door of his just-bought old Buick, went clean through the rusted metal!

My Dad called it a "Hill-Billy" phrase. No offense! imp

No taken. I appreciate the response! I'm a hillbilly living in the city, trying to save a dime.

I have done the epoxy method twice, tried to drill but pushed the broken end in more and just started spinning, no dice. I tried magnets and then I found this thread and thought I may just be in luck, so I dropped the pan and removed the valve body hoping I could access the pin, but I have no idea at this point.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No taken. I appreciate the response! I'm a hillbilly living in the city, trying to save a dime.

I have done the epoxy method twice, tried to drill but pushed the broken end in more and just started spinning, no dice. I tried magnets and then I found this thread and thought I may just be in luck, so I dropped the pan and removed the valve body hoping I could access the pin, but I have no idea at this point.
@PappaDoo
Wish I could help you, but I'm completely inexperienced on this servo problem thing. If I knew exactly the construction of the transmission case, maybe I could figure something out. imp

@PappaDoo
Wish I could help you, but I'm completely inexperienced on this servo problem thing. If I knew exactly the construction of the transmission case, maybe I could figure something out. imp

Thank you IMP! I have been searching for diagrams and wonder if the hole goes all the way though to the case. If so, maybe I could push it in all the way, and retrieve with magnets?? I will not give up until this is complete. I love this truck and just want get her back to the Mountain. I read a thread where another guy had this problem and used the epoxy method to remove the pin and then drank ten beers. That is where I'm trying to get.:banghead:

You might try adjusting the band by turning the adjuster in all the way till it stops. Do not force it once it stops. Also be sure to back it back out several turns before installing new piston or you will never get the cover back on. The picture I posted shows the feed side of servo that is accessible with VB removed. May be able to reach a pic up and move the broken pin.
IMG_3580.jpg

I appreciate the response Transman304 and the picture provided. I wish I could just reach through the port and pick the pin out or use compressed air. Problem I have is the pin is broke off down past the port hole. Will tightening the band apply back pressure to the pin and help possibly push it out?

Any suggestions on strength of magnet that may pull this piece out or some type of suction maybe? Thanks again guys!!

Is this a servo that has the o rings installed or stock piston? Yes tighten the band and it will psh the strut over till it hits the case. May help move it some.

It is the stock piston that is stuck. I have the new o ring pistons to replace the originals.
How tight do I go on the band? I don't want to cause more headaches for myself.

Just till the adjuster stops. Won't be more than a couple turns.

Holy ****. I have this exact issue right now. Changing the servo bores and the bottom of IM pin broke off in the bottom of the bore. I have the valve body removed but can not get that little bugger out. What size magnet did you use? I have been at this for 3 days now and loosing my mind. I'm excited to find this forum. Thanks in advance guys.

Hey PappaDoo,
Did you ever get this out? I have same issue, been trying to get it out for a few days with no luck, comes to about 1/4 inch from the opening and stops. I may try and drill into it so I can screw in an extractor or something so I can get a pull on it.

Use #10 machine screw 10-24 or 10-31. Mines broke also. You have to very gently catch one or two threads of the screw in the broken shaft using light pressure. Once caught gently keep rotating clockwise and pull outwards slowly. Take a while but can be done. I have since sold my 03 Explorer.

Use #10 machine screw 10-24 or 10-31. Mines broke also. You have to very gently catch one or two threads of the screw in the broken shaft using light pressure. Once caught gently keep rotating clockwise and pull outwards slowly. Take a while but can be done. I have since sold my 03 Explorer.

xlt03, I saw that you are on the forum now, hoping that you will see this. I just broke the end off while getting ready to install the new servos and your fix seems like the best thing going without having to do anything major. Any other tips? I will go to the hardware store tomorrow and pick up some screws and give it a try.

xlt03, I saw that you are on the forum now, hoping that you will see this. I just broke the end off while getting ready to install the new servos and your fix seems like the best thing going without having to do anything major. Any other tips? I will go to the hardware store tomorrow and pick up some screws and give it a try.

This is an example from another part of this thread on the forum. I am guessing that mine looks about the same.

broken off example.png

If I recall correctly use 10-32 fine thread machine screw. Got to be gentle to thread it into the shaft to catch it with just a couple of threads. Then pull out gently. Takes awhile to get the hang of it and a bit of patience and an occasional cuse word.

Had to throw in the towel on this one. The break occurred so close to the end of the thing that there is not even enough there to catch any of the threads. I hope that it can be accessed by pulling the pan and the valve bodies then pushed out.

Try a 10-24. It does take awhile, patience and luck. Was your broken servo pin the original or aftermarket?

Original pins/servos. The transmission is being torn down as we speak, full rebuild with all the better aftermarket parts if possible. Now I need to prepare for all of the other possible things that will show up on this vehicle including rear wheel bearings. I have heard that these go out prematurely also. Hope I notice when they do.

Back