Lower Air Dam Intake Duct Falls Off / Missing | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lower Air Dam Intake Duct Falls Off / Missing

I'll be checking, i remember being under it but not sure if that piece was there.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just looked under our 2016 xlt with tow: confirming that these are still there and they are still just as poorly made. Only 100 km on the odometer and one of the fasteners is out and won't fasten back in.

Interesting. Appears to be missing on our '14 X Sport with towing package. Not sure if its worth replacing with our winters but I did find some part numbers.

fordparts.com lists as part number "<10494"
description "Engine Underbody Air Deflector"
price $71.27

I've also seen it listed as part number DB5Z-9910494-A and described as "Lower Shield." Possibly also part number BB5Z-9910494-A which appears to be interchangable but maybe somebody can say for sure?

Thanks for the "heads up", this afternoon I went out and checked my '16 Sport and discovered nothing there. The opening is there in the valence as well as the mounting points but, no duct work.
Looks like a trip back to the dealer is in store...

Thanks for the "heads up", this afternoon I went out and checked my '16 Sport and discovered nothing there. The opening is there in the valence as well as the mounting points but, no duct work.
Looks like a trip back to the dealer is in store...
It has to be taken off in order to change the oil. It could be they forgot to put it back on or if not properly fastened, it could have fallen off. If the latter, I think you likely would have heard that.

Peter

It has to be taken off in order to change the oil. It could be they forgot to put it back on or if not properly fastened, it could have fallen off. If the latter, I think you likely would have heard that.

Peter

Yup, I'm aware that it has to be removed. I just bought the Sport about 6 weeks ago and it has a "oil change" sticker from that dealer on the upper left of the windshield. I also know that it did not fall of while driving.
So..... I stopped by the dealership this afternoon.
I explained to them that IF they did indeed do the pre-delivery inspection that:
1. The guy changing the oil forgot to put the duct back on.
2. The guy changing the oil decided, screw it, I'm not putting this back on and tossed it in the trash pile.
3. The guy changing the oil saw that it was missing and simply didn't care that it was missing.
4. I gave her a print out of the picture and part number of the part in case tech didn't know what it was.
I also advised her of the navigation unit that's so dumb that I have to use a $125.00 Garmin to get to my destination.
The looks on the faces of the other service personnel was great. LOL

I'll see what happens on Tuesday.

Yup, I'm aware that it has to be removed. I just bought the Sport about 6 weeks ago and it has a "oil change" sticker from that dealer on the upper left of the windshield. I also know that it did not fall of while driving.
So..... I stopped by the dealership this afternoon.
I explained to them that IF they did indeed do the pre-delivery inspection that:
1. The guy changing the oil forgot to put the duct back on.
2. The guy changing the oil decided, screw it, I'm not putting this back on and tossed it in the trash pile.
3. The guy changing the oil saw that it was missing and simply didn't care that it was missing.
4. I gave her a print out of the picture and part number of the part in case tech didn't know what it was.
I also advised her of the navigation unit that's so dumb that I have to use a $125.00 Garmin to get to my destination.
The looks on the faces of the other service personnel was great. LOL

I'll see what happens on Tuesday.
I don't know if I would have mentioned the navigation part since they have no control over that at all. The other points you made are valid. Please keep us updated. Thanks.

Peter

Some thoughts on this "air intake" that leads to the back of the engine and only appears on Explorers with the tow package. I wonder if it has something to do with getting cooler air to the back of the engine when the Active Shutter Grille Vents are closed?

Some thoughts on this "air intake" that leads to the back of the engine and only appears on Explorers with the tow package. I wonder if it has something to do with getting cooler air to the back of the engine when the Active Shutter Grille Vents are closed?
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...ake-falls-off-help.342745/page-2#post-2980338
Explorers with the Ecoboost engine have it as well whether they have the tow package or not. Helps cool the turbos.
Active shutters were just introduced in 2016. My Platinum doesn't have the 'shutters'.

Peter

Just an update after bringing it to the dealer. Last week when I stopped in to make the appointment I gave them the part number listed above.
That part number is not for the turbo ecoboost.. It's for a normally aspirated Explorer.
So, they ordered the correct one and will call when it arrives.

Explorers with the Ecoboost engine have it as well whether they have the tow package or not. Helps cool the turbos.
That makes sense as the duct ends where a turbo would be. But why does my NA engine have it?
Active shutters were just introduced in 2016. My Platinum doesn't have the 'shutters'.
Are you sure? My 2017 base model with the tow package definitely has them.

That makes sense as the duct ends where a turbo would be. But why does my NA engine have it?

Are you sure? My 2017 base model with the tow package definitely has them.
I haven't actually crawled under the front end but when I checked ETIS the equipment list showed "Less Active Grilleshutter".

Peter

I just received a call back from the dealership about the air duct...
They said the parts department researched it, and "according to the VIN of my vehicle" it does not come with the air duct even though my '16 XSport with the tow package has the cutout in the fascia and the mounting points for it.

....and you believe them?????

I just received a call back from the dealership about the air duct...
They said the parts department researched it, and "according to the VIN of my vehicle" it does not come with the air duct even though my '16 XSport with the tow package has the cutout in the fascia and the mounting points for it.
I'm curious how they determined that from your VIN. Did they say?

Were you the original owner or do you have the factory window sticker? If not the previous owner might of installed the factory hitch without the air dam..

Peter posted this link in another post on the forums here. You can input your vin number and see what it came from the factory with.

https://www.etis.ford.com/vehicleRegSelector.do

I agree that this doesn't sound right. If you didn't need one then the factory would have installed the fascia without the cutout in it. The mounting points however could be common to all trims regardless of whether they should have the air duct or not.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Were you the original owner or do you have the factory window sticker? If not the previous owner might of installed the factory hitch without the air dam..

Peter posted this link in another post on the forums here. You can input your vin number and see what it came from the factory with.

https://www.etis.ford.com/vehicleRegSelector.do
I just checked for mine that and there was no mention of the air duct at all. It could possibly be combined with another item/package. Now I have to go out and check to see if I actually have one.:)
EDIT: and.....yes I do.

Peter

Back