Transmission pan

SoNic67

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Newport News, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 V8 (Eddie Bauer) AWD
Replaced the transmission pan with a drain-able one on my Ford Explorer. WTF Ford, why didn't you provide a drain bolt like any other manufacturer?

on_drain_bolt.png.d1df936c398bd2174f2a179987ca5df7.png

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

They do put drain plugs in some models. Have been for years.

Yes, a lot of fleet vehicles that get regular service.

Should have put them on consumer vehicles too..

Anyway, Where are you ordering these upgraded pans from? I would like one for my 4r70w RWD

Why give it to you when they can charge you for it down the road. Chrysler gives you a dipstick tube but you have to buy the dipstick.
IMG_0061.PNG

I have linked the source on my post above. And yep, mine it's a 4R70W too. And no, I won't pay Ford for something that they should have provided in the first place. My Hyundai's (Sonata and XG350) have a transmission drain plug.
However, it's stupid for Ford to do that to their customers, like they want the dealership to charge you extra or your transmission to fail for lack of maintenance (people won't pay the dealer for that procedure).
I have installed a modified pan on my Sable too...

e579_Drainpan.png.b2cec6cda6a2077f3b1e87750e4fcaef.png

I added one to my OEM pan for a couple of bucks. Kit came with a plug, a threaded receiver and nut, and a copper washer/gasket. Hasn't leaked a drop in 10 years.

Surprised an '01 doesn't have one. Should have bought a 1st gen. :D (ducks, and runs)

Another option would be to buy one of those fluid extractors like a MityVac, with a long extension fitting, and extract from the fill tube.

Why? $$$ that's why.

Why? $$$ that's why.

That dollar part adds up when you produce millions of vehicles. If there was a part that wasn't needed they would not use it. Never heard of a transmission pan without a drain determine the sale of a vehicle. What about drains on differentials?

Replaced the transmission pan with a drain-able one on my Ford Explorer. WTF Ford, why didn't you provide a drain bolt like any other manufacturer?

on_drain_bolt.png.d1df936c398bd2174f2a179987ca5df7.png

I have a better question; why did they ever make a pan that isn't flat on the bottom? That's dumb, way worse than the drain plug.

You can drain any Ford trans without a big mess, and with no drain plug. You have to have a large plastic pan to catch the fluid, don't consider being cheap and using a small opening oil pan. Get an easy to buy pan from any department store, 18-24" or so works great. Go to any parts store and buy the large flat steel drip pan, it's about 2'x3' with a little edge lip. Put that under the trans with the big pan on top.

Remove half of the pan bolts, the side/end you want the fluid to come from. Remove all other bolts except the two corner bolts and two on the sides. Loosen the two side bolts a couple of turns. Then gently pry the lower end of the pan downward to break the seal if it didn't begin to drain. Most of the ATF will drain then into the pan. Crack the two corner bolts loose, then remove the two side bolts while holding the pan up by hand. With one hand under the pan, loosen the corner bolts as you lower the pan to drain almost all of the rest. Hold the pan back up now that it's light, and remove the last two bolts. It only takes a few minutes to do all of that, with virtually no spilling. It's just mind over matter, being smarter than the parts and fluid.

My complaint is the SOB non flat transmission pan, which makes it hell to use a jack under, of set the trans down, or move it around on the floor. Ford was cheap, they could have made the pan deeper and flat on the bottom, they saved a quart or two of capacity. I want more fluid in the trans, not less.

Buy an aftermarket pan, a deep pan, which is flat, and has a drain plug on the side.

I added one to my OEM pan for a couple of bucks. Kit came with a plug, a threaded receiver and nut, and a copper washer/gasket. Hasn't leaked a drop in 10 years.

Like this?
K032_UniversalDrainPlugKit.jpg

My favorite pan out there (if I was to by one) would be this one:
s-l300.jpg
s-l300.jpg

Add a Dimple drain plug and a motorcraft filter and done.

I had a Mag-Hytec on one of my old Explorers. $260...
s-l225.jpg

3 months after I installed it I ended up rolling the truck. As I stood there, shaken, I stared at that big beautiful pan on my upside-down rig and thought "why did you pay that much for a trans pan?" Those epiphany's can come out of nowhere I tell you...

I'd too be happy with just a flat OE type stamped steel pan with a plug hole... for under $50

I believe the manufacturers assumed if you drained the fluid you would be replacing the filter, so the pan has to come off anyway. Thinking in this direction you don't need a drain plug.

However, a drain plug does make things less messy.

There are two types of these plugs: one seals by squeezing an o-ring under a bolt head, the other uses a tapered thread to seal. I had both. The first is terrible, because o-rings are not meant to be twisted, and they fail. It's the tapered thread type you want.

I put one of these on my dad's F150 the other day. The drain plug is junk, the threads arnt thick enough to where you can torque it down and seal the aluminum washer that comes with it. Cool thing is its the same thread as the oil drain plug on his truck so I just ordered a new factory oil drain plug w/oring and tossed it in.

There are two types of these plugs: one seals by squeezing an o-ring under a bolt head, the other uses a tapered thread to seal. I had both. The first is terrible, because o-rings are not meant to be twisted, and they fail. It's the tapered thread type you want.

Ya, I think mine was the tapered type, and I also used Teflon tape on the threads.

Draining is one thing. But topping up level is another, in the "dipstick-less" models. Pissed me off enough that while I had the pan off to replace the solenoid module, I added a dipstick! imp

The only "dipstick-less" vehicle in my stable is significant other's Kia. But that one doesn't even have a pan under the transmission (or rather, transaxle), so it doesn't really count. So for those of us ignorant of later model Explorers can you explain how one adds a dipstick where there wasn't one? And how do you fill this thing without a dipstick tube anyway?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The only thing I don't care for is the paint on the inside. Seen so many problems with flaking paint not just with aftermarket but OEM pans. Chrysler has a lot of issues. Additives play hell on the paint also transmission fluid will find a crack in the paint and start to creep under lifting the paint. Most of the time from a dent or around the drain from over tightening the plug will fracture the paint. If I use these type pans I take paint remover, or sand blast to the inside to remove the coating. Just my experience your outcome my differ.

Back