2017 Black Mountain EF trip May 19-21 | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2017 Black Mountain EF trip May 19-21

Way to go Birdy! I'm wrenching and stuff this and next weekend too. 12 days left, and so much to do still. woo hoo!

I watched some live feed of the UTV bounty hill event, at the park today. All these rains have made it a huge mud pit. It is high in elevation, so hopefully it runs off fast, and dries out a bunch before we arrive. I am going to add extra boots and stuff, just in case it doesn't. lol

If any of you have one of those 10x10 EZ-Up canopy deals, and have room for it, please bring it along with you. We are going to make a community area with them for dinners, and have overhead shelter for all, if needed. Ozark Trails makes side walls for them for $15 sold at Wally world, if you need one.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Garage time this weekend is limited, lots of rain the past week and a clogged drainage ditch have flooded my work space but the shocks aren't in yet anyway so looks like I'll be living in the garage next weekend. I did however find a good spare 38 and got it mounted to an extra 5x5.5 steel wheel.

I will be there Thursday afternoon, somewhere in the 4-7 time frame.

Way to go Birdy! I'm wrenching and stuff this and next weekend too. 12 days left, and so much to do still. woo hoo!

I watched some live feed of the UTV bounty hill event, at the park today. All these rains have made it a huge mud pit. It is high in elevation, so hopefully it runs off fast, and dries out a bunch before we arrive. I am going to add extra boots and stuff, just in case it doesn't. lol

If any of you have one of those 10x10 EZ-Up canopy deals, and have room for it, please bring it along with you. We are going to make a community area with them for dinners, and have overhead shelter for all, if needed. Ozark Trails makes side walls for them for $15 sold at Wally world, if you need one.

There is a large pavilion at the trailhead lot with picnic tables, fyi.

My trailer has all new bearings in it, now it needs inspected. I cut my front bumper off and am in the process of redoing it. Oil needs changed and all the fluids need checked. I also got to rotate the tires on my diesel and check it over. At least my list is getting smaller.

Last weekend! New joints to put in the spare axles and dump the oil on the diesel and we're ready to roll out Thursday!

From James of the MO Crew that is heading up the group dinner:

Post #1) Okay all that is definitely going on the KY trip... One night we thought about doing a seafood food boil.
It would consist of red potatoes, onions, corn on cob, smoked sausage, shrimp and seafood boil seasonings. It is traditionally poured out on a table covered in newspapers so you can pick and choose what you want.

Post #2) Just need a head count, so we can post up a list of all items needed, for the meal. If anyone wants to add to it, all is welcome.

Post #3) Okay all going to Kentucky and want in on the seafood boil, just bring the above mentioned items that you and or family will eat yourselves. If you want anything extra to throw in just bring it. i.e... crab, lobster, scallions, etc.... We are gonna bring a spicy sausage, but will devise a way to tell it from other sausage, in case someone does not like spicy.

Post #4) I just thought that would be the easiest way to do that, then that way everybody can just bring what they like to eat, and we'll put it all in there, and then they can just pick out what they brought, or for the same amount, instead of everybody trying to put all the ingredients together, and get people to get different stuff, instead of everybody trying to put all the ingredients together, and get people to get different stuff too.

If your in, you know what to do now. :)
Thanks!

Ok, debating whether or not to wash it... I really don't want to spend the time doing it... I don't know...
IMG_4083.JPG

I would love to join you guys on this one, but it won't be until the last minute that I'll know whether or not I can afford the trip. It's been a crazy year already:banghead:
You going to be there? It is almost last minute!

Ok, debating whether or not to wash it... I really don't want to spend the time doing it... I don't know...View attachment 97120
Just give it a once over with the garden hose.

I am convoying with Four0Sport so if all goes well I will arrive the same time as him.

I have to grease my ballistic joints and the explorer is as ready as it is going to be. The trailer is done and inspected.

4 more days!

Is that a bunch of Sand?
Speaking of car wash..... Thank you Birdy, for bringing that to my attention. :)

For those of us, that are not using a trailer...
I inquired about a car wash nearby, and Putney informed me, they have a pressure washer we can use, before leaving the grounds.
I didn't get a direct answer to my question, but this helps not to leave tracks and flying debris down the Hwy until we can get to a real car wash bay.

Changed my battery with a new AGM. Wired the Cameras. Put a bunch of spare parts in a staging pile yesterday. Fluid changes today. Besides loading up, I'm just about done.

There is some sand in there, I did just go over it with a pressure washer in my backyard.

I'm pretty sure Rick will be in Moab, so I don't see him being there.

Front shocks and bumps installed, gear i carry reduced drastically, cb antenna re-located, trailer still rolls.. just have to pick up some supplies this week and get the trans temp gauge working. Im not where i wanted to be for this trip but still capable and moving!

Pro tip.. bring a rain jacket and an extra pair of boots. The weather on the mountain is unpredictable to say the least.

I would like to get a general consensus of what type of trails each of you want to run. I had planned on at least running can opener, lower rock garden and rail bed on Friday. Youtube those trails and see what you think. I think they are mostly doable by the group we have here. The only one I see issues with is can opener, but there is a main trail right beside it.

Saturday I will be pushing my comfort level on Mason Jar and Your Turn.

Pack a lunch, we may be on the mountain for a while with the weather they are forecasting.

If you rate them 1-5, an easy 3, will be the hardest I am willing to push it, without a trailer.

I have no problems leaving the rig behind and asking for an open seat as to not stop or slow the group any. I do fairly well spotting, and taking pics/vids. :D

From the videos i saw i am up for all the ones you mentioned except lions den. I am not too sure on that one.

the more I watch vids of my friends running it last week the more I want to drop in. emphasis on drop.
I don't mind a little bit of damage or some scrapage, but I don't want what happened to josh40601's sgt ex to happen to mine if i can help it. I'll watch you go through first!

I just bought a Light weight Coleman raincoat.

For the campsites, I will bring a large tarp to cover our pop-up canopies. I believe my group has 3 of them to set next to each other as of now. We will have some form of rain protection to share for all at night at least.

For the rig, I have a small tarp to lay on if needed, and rafting paddles to get me out of **** creek. Don't have room for the life vest, but can make room for some arm floats. :D

I think I will treat the windshield with RainX too. lol

row-row-row-your-boat viking hat.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am bringing 2 pop up canopies. I also bought a rain coat and pants for this trip.

Back