Slamming Gears - 08 ST | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tike

Reaction score
City, State
Greater Philadelphia
Year, Model & Trim Level
08 Ford Sport Trac XLT
Hey all anyone have any advice on this. my sport trac has recently been struggling to find gear between 40-60 mph. slow acceleration or going up hill sometimes it will SLAM gears in the mph range. Want to have an idea of whats happening. PCM TCM?

problms been happening since ~100k mile replace t-case fluid and Transmission fluid at 115k miles.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

check your trany fluid make sure it's not leaking or level too low.

fluids were fine. just had it done 3,000miles ago and the problem was happening before just not as bad.
i hope my clutch pack isn't bad.

Have you checked the level of the transmission fluid yourself? It's not real easy to check with the engine hot and running. Easy to get the level wrong. I've seen post where the wrong fluid was used (even at a dealer). What fluid was used? Do you have the 5 or 6 speed transmission?

i got it done at the dealer, did not have the time. no idea on fluid, manual says Mercon V. 6 speed Automatic

I'm pretty sure the manual should say Mercon SP (Mercon V for the 5 speed). I read all the time (in F150 forums too, they used the same 6 speed) of dealers and people doing their own service that are putting Mercon LV in the transmissions because that's the latest spec fluid and they think it's backward compatible with SP (It's not). I usually start with the fluid level and type used and rule that out when trying to diagnose transmission problems. Don't know if you still have the receipt, but you could probably get a copy from the dealer you had it serviced at. The type of fluid in the transfer case has an even greater chance of having the wrong fluid, but I doubt that is related to your problem

Status update:
Checked all the fluids. they were all the right fluids and filled properly. OBDII scanned it and it wasnt the pcm or anything. at this point its out of my capabilities taking it to dealer. will update later.

Update: Torque converter **** the bed. :banghead:. dealer had it for 2 weeks, because they were to cheap to overnight a part i paid $1800 for. also a bag i left in the truck went missing. needless to say im never going back to that place.

Update: problem is reoccurring. dealer is agreeing to fix free of charge. but after doing some research i couldnt find a direct answer but does the sport trac gen 2 have a Torque Converter Clutch in it? my probem is still occuring in the 50mph range wondering if the TCC is trying to engage and engage and that is the issue

Hey all anyone have any advice on this. my sport trac has recently been struggling to find gear between 40-60 mph. slow acceleration or going up hill sometimes it will SLAM gears in the mph range. Want to have an idea of whats happening. PCM TCM?

problms been happening since ~100k mile replace t-case fluid and Transmission fluid at 115k miles.
Did you find a fix for this? A few weeks ago I bought an 07 sport trac limited with the v8 and six speed two wheel drive it acts the same way like the transmission can t decide w h at gear it wants to be cruising around 40 mph it will constantly bang back and forth. The computer shows no codes

yes i got it fixed. it was something with the torque converter and a cylinder misfire.

details:
I do not own a OBD II scanner. so i went to the dealership (idiot i know) and they said it was throwing a Torque converter code. they replaced the whole damn thing. and the problem was fixed for 1 week. then it started happening again. took it back again. said it was because one of cylinder was misfiring and needed new sparks and coils. and another $100 or so later the problem doesnt occur any more.

Personally i think it was a bad solenoid that controlled the engaging for the Clutch plate which should lock up at around 50mph. they replaced the whole thing for $ and did not fix the solenoid. because my engine is running rough again not i dont have that hesitation and slamming gears. and i am buying a OBDII scanner. No more dealer for me.

hope this helps.

yes i got it fixed. it was something with the torque converter and a cylinder misfire.

details:
I do not own a OBD II scanner. so i went to the dealership (idiot i know) and they said it was throwing a Torque converter code. they replaced the whole damn thing. and the problem was fixed for 1 week. then it started happening again. took it back again. said it was because one of cylinder was misfiring and needed new sparks and coils. and another $100 or so later the problem doesnt occur any more.

Personally i think it was a bad solenoid that controlled the engaging for the Clutch plate which should lock up at around 50mph. they replaced the whole thing for $ and did not fix the solenoid. because my engine is running rough again not i dont have that hesitation and slamming gears. and i am buying a OBDII scanner. No more dealer for me.

hope this helps.
Thanks for the response, I have an obdll scanner but it shows no error codes, I m thinking maybe the idle speed control. It only occurs when cruising at 1600 to 1800 rpm. I step on the gas it quits and when I let off the gas it quits. If I can figure it out I ll let you know.

yea please do. before i took it in to the shop i changed the oil. trany fluid and transfer case. just to rule them out.

As I posted before my 07 was doing the same thing. shop i took it to replaced the torgue converter end of problem. the dealer charged you 1800 to replace torgue converter and its still doing it I would call ford. The shop I took mine to charged $936 to replace the torgue converter and carrier bearing.

Back