2016 Explorer LED Fog Lights option?? | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2016 Explorer LED Fog Lights option??

Pictures are nice but they don't show the actual differences inside the housings for each type of bulb. That is the more important item. Why would manufacturers waste time and money developing specific housings for each type of bulb if you could simply plug in any kind of bulb in any kind of housing to get the same focused output?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I didn't have to do anything. Mine came with LED fogs. Unless you want glare, you can't simply switch bulbs. As mentioned, LED's have a different housing/reflector designed specifically for LED.
Oh, sorry...I didn't realize you started with LEDs. ;o/

Pictures are nice but they don't show the actual differences inside the housings for each type of bulb. That is the more important item. Why would manufacturers waste time and money developing specific housings for each type of bulb if you could simply plug in any kind of bulb in any kind of housing to get the same focused output?
For the most part yes, but in the case of the stock LED on the Explorer, no difference.
Picture is exactly as you would see in real life, take a look at yours and you will see there is little to no projection from the fogs.

For the most part yes, but in the case of the stock LED on the Explorer, no difference.
Picture is exactly as you would see in real life, take a look at yours and you will see there is little to no projection from the fogs.
Thanks...good point....

I actually used them one rainy night with patches of fog and was pleasantly surprised at how much they did light up the area in front but I don't use them for regular night driving as the headlights do a good enough job lighting to the front and sides even on unlit country roads.

Peter

I actually used them one rainy night with patches of fog and was pleasantly surprised at how much they did light up the area in front but I don't use them for regular night driving as the headlights do a good enough job lighting to the front and sides even on unlit country roads.

Peter
Nice....
The halogen head lights I have are good but I would really like a bit more side coverage on the rural roads in my area. I will probably save up and buy a good conversion kit. Thanks for the good info....

Isn't the fog lamp H11??
Then again, I'm 2013, so maybe they changed it.

Great Upgrade for $30

After searching this forum I too purchased the JDM ASTAR Extremely Bright Max 50W High Power H10 9145 LED Bulbs for my 2016 Explorer. Compared to the nearly $1,500 I spent on my Harley upgrading all my lighting to LED, this was an inexpensive investment. They have the exact look I wanted. The stock yellow fog lamps just looked cheap regardless of Ford's reasoning.

I spent more time trying to figure out how to open the little trap door than I did installing the bulbs. Thank God for YouTube. What would have been 10 minutes each turned into 15 minutes each as I like to put a little dab of contact grease on all my connections.

Contrary to some of the posts I read, you DO NOT have to remove the wheels - just turn it full left for the passenger side and full right for the driver's side. I found the passenger side to be easier than the driver's side for no other reason than the harness on the driver's side is just a tad too short to make the 1/4 turn needed to remove the bulb from the housing. Simple fix - disconnect the harness first.

I have before and after pics but can't seem to figure out how to upload them.

I have a 13 EX and want to upgrade my fogs to LED
Anyone have any recommendation?
Thanks Steve
mrnavy2,
Did you have any luck finding right LED fog lamp.
I got the same car, and also looking for LED fog lamp.

I have these in my 16 and the output is better than stock and not overly bright. Since installation a month ago, I have never been flashed. I also have them in my 07 F150.

Boltlink LED Fog Light Bulbs motocycle led headlights 9005 H10 - 60w 6,000lumens 6,500k White Cree Pack of 2 . https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019Y19XD0/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apap_lr2ykDyioEnFe
the electrical connector is not the same than on the factory bulb.
what did you do to connect those new bulb to the factory fog connector? thanks

It plugged right in, it has the correct connector end. The only picture they show of a connector end is that of a H7, not the H10/9145/9005 that we need for our 2016. They are sold out of the H10 bulb currently. There are some on ebay though, thats where I got one set. I will post a link. As you can see, they have the right ends.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1SET-9005-H...ash=item33cd095023:g:ftIAAOSwHHFY-fkE&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1SET-9005-9...ash=item3ae13b35d7:g:gxcAAOSwWiBY-t7M&vxp=mtr

It plugged right in, it has the correct connector end. The only picture they show of a connector end is that of a H7, not the H10/9145/9005 that we need for our 2016. They are sold out of the H10 bulb currently. There are some on ebay though, thats where I got one set. I will post a link. As you can see, they have the right ends.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1SET-9005-H...ash=item33cd095023:g:ftIAAOSwHHFY-fkE&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1SET-9005-9...ash=item3ae13b35d7:g:gxcAAOSwWiBY-t7M&vxp=mtr
thank you. much appreciated

Isn't the fog lamp H11??
Then again, I'm 2013, so maybe they changed it.
I believe LED fogs were a late availability on the 2016 models and standard on the 2017.

Peter

based on this threads review of these: JDM ASTAR Extremely Bright Max 50W High Power H10 9145 LED Bulbs for DRL or Fog Lights, Xenon White http://amzn.to/2vYGSeM
I purchased them immediately on September 6, 2016. One bulb just went bad on September 9, 2017!!!!
These last one year! I did enjoy them while both worked.

I'm going to try JDM ASTAR 1200 Lumens Extremely Bright 144-EX Chipsets H10 9140 9145 LED Bulbs with Projector for DRL or Fog Lights, Xenon White http://amzn.to/2vOcmA4

$29.99 vs $19.99

I will update with a side by side comparison of the bulbs. I hope they last longer than a year. $19.99 a year isn't bad. I might break down eventually and get the Ford assembly $$$$.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cxanqnxwv7i7phu/IMG_1310.JPG?dl=0

On the left is the one year old JDM ASTAR Extremely Bright Max 50W and on the right the JDM ASTAR 1200 Lumens Extremely Bright

I'm much more happy with the new cheaper 1200 Lumens bulb!! It appears to fill the housing with more light making it more aesthetically pleasing, even in the daylight. To the naked eye it appears brighter than the 50W. The true test of driving at night: I noticed a difference of light fill when I turned the fogs on and off. In the past with the 50W, I didn't observe as much of a difference.
I will watch close to see how long these last. If they last only 1 year, I will be more than happy for $19.99!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cxanqnxwv7i7phu/IMG_1310.JPG?dl=0

On the left is the one year old JDM ASTAR Extremely Bright Max 50W and on the right the JDM ASTAR 1200 Lumens Extremely Bright

I'm much more happy with the new cheaper 1200 Lumens bulb!! It appears to fill the housing with more light making it more aesthetically pleasing, even in the daylight. To the naked eye it appears brighter than the 50W. The true test of driving at night: I noticed a difference of light fill when I turned the fogs on and off. In the past with the 50W, I didn't observe as much of a difference.
I will watch close to see how long these last. If they last only 1 year, I will be more than happy for $19.99!
You don't want fog lights that are really bright if you use them as intended. Seems you are really using them as 'driving' lights. My fog lights came as LED and they also 'fill in' at night but what they fill in doesn't really make much of a difference to what the headlights light up so I never use them, even on unlit country roads.

Peter

Yes, within the constraints of the Illinois vehicle code I am using them as auxiliary driving lamps.

Peter, you never use your factory LED fog lights? Can I have them? :)

Yes, within the constraints of the Illinois vehicle code I am using them as auxiliary driving lamps.

Peter, you never use your factory LED fog lights? Can I have them? :)
Don't think the dealer would be too happy. I lease my vehicles.;)

The above thread is from June of 2015. Currently Feb of 2018. Any solution to adding fog lights to 2016-2017 Explorer?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

We've had a lot of winter/rainy weather lately and I find the foglights are quite useful for seeing pedestrians. The headlights themselves are pretty weak overall, so I find the foglights supplement them .

Back