will 16 inch 2005 explorer wheels fit a 1998 explorer ? ? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

will 16 inch 2005 explorer wheels fit a 1998 explorer ? ?

screaming306

Reaction score
City, State
Grand Bay
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer
Will a 2005 explorer wheels fit a 1998 explorer ? ? the 98 had a 15 inch and 16 inch wheel options.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's not the diameter as much as the back-spacing of the wheels. Seems I remember a past thread where someone had problems with a post 2001 wheel rubbing when installed on a previous gen of Explorers.

I thought that the 3rd gens had metric lug spacing, anyone know?

I thought that the 3rd gens had metric lug spacing, anyone know?

I have seen a few 2nd gen explorers with 3rd gen wheels here in New Jersey. The wheels should bolt right up. Same bolt pattern 5X114.3

I just did this. Selling my 2005 Sport Trac and just received my grandad's 1998 one owner Explorer which had terrible old 90s F-150 rims on it (his factory set was stolen years ago). I took the rims off of my 2005 and stuck them on the 1998. Test drove it and it feels a little weird. Could just be because my tires had been sitting or because his tires had nitrogen fill and mine are regular air. Either way, I am taking them to be balanced Monday morning and to check the mounting. They bolted up fine, sat on the hub fine. I checked my clearances and there was no rubbing. Nothing when turning either. I know I have seen way crazier rim and tire set ups than this. Hoping its just a matter of my parking lot tire mounting and not a bigger issue.

I ran 16” third gen wheels on my second gen for quite awhile. I ran them with lower profile tires than stock.

Nitrogen won’t effect the tires ride, it’s just supposed to be less effected by temperature. Also, pretty sure F150s were always 5x5.5.

I believe Sport Trac wheels are the same as the 2nd gens up until 2006, when the Explorers and 4th Gen Explorers shared an identical platform. Now, in your case if you're doing a regular 3rd Gen Explorer to 2nd Gen wheel swap, they'll bolt up, I personally know someone with a set, however, the offset is much less, which basically means they set a lot more underneath your truck, which on these trucks, isn't good, it's workable, but isn't good.

As others have said, only real difference is in offset.

Ths 2nd gen wheels only have 10-15mm of offset, 3rd gens are more like 30-45mm.

1" - 1 1/4" hub centric spacers will get you very close to centering the tire/wheel the way the OEM rims would without spacers.

Back