Mud Flaps / Splash Guards / DIY Pics | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Mud Flaps / Splash Guards / DIY Pics

I'd get the 'RED' ones for sure! :hammer:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

OEM front and back. A must have if you live on a gravel road.

OEM front and back. A must have if you life on a gravel road.

I have the OEM fitted ones. My fault was that I had the dealer put them on while they were servicing my Explorer. Otherwise, they're fantastic.

If you have to drive on gravel roads all the time fine, but at best factory mud flaps on the street look unattractive. Thinking of those aftermarket ones look even worse.
Of course the RED ones are the ultimate cheese! :thumbsup:

The red ones aren't my cup of tea, but the black with red lettering would work well with the red accents in the Sport.

I am finally getting around to installing my OEM mudguards but I can't seem to find where I placed the instructions.

Is it possible someone can shoot over the pdf or a scan of the instructions? Part number: BB5Z16A550AA.

Thanks!

WEATHERTECH!!!They fit perfectly, no drilling and takes 30 mins to do... They look just like OEM without the huge Ford markup.

Has anyone used the Huskyliners brand? They look like OEM in the pictures. I was considering them because I have points on my Cabellas card I need to use up.

Has anyone used the Huskyliners brand? They look like OEM in the pictures. I was considering them because I have points on my Cabellas card I need to use up.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
There are many, many members including myself who use the Husky liners. The advantage of the Husky's is better overall coverage of the front foot wells. Husky liners in the front cover right up and over to the door sill whereas WeatherTech does not. Husky also has better coverage of the 'dead pedal'. That is the main reason I have gone with them due to the climate I live in. There are threads on them in the Forum.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/purchasing-husky-liners.447667/

Peter

I think he is talking about the mud/splash guards and not the interior liners??? :dunno:

I think he is talking about the mud/splash guards and not the interior liners??? :dunno:
I guess going back and looking at the thread title that could be true. Thanks.

Peter

Thank you.
Yes i was refering to the husky mud flaps. But Im glad you said that because I was going to order them also and i have used wether tecks in 4 vehicles in the past. I will have to take a look at them. Can you post a pic of your floor liners. Do you have the rear set and cargo ones?
So has anyone tried the husky mud flaps?

Thank you.
Yes i was refering to the husky mud flaps. But Im glad you said that because I was going to order them also and i have used wether tecks in 4 vehicles in the past. I will have to take a look at them. Can you post a pic of your floor liners. Do you have the rear set and cargo ones?
So has anyone tried the husky mud flaps?
I only have picture of front driver's side; http://www.explorerforum.com/xenfor...our-5th-gen-today.430705/page-30#post-3610674
For the cargo area I have the EXPLORER OEM mat. http://www.explorerforum.com/xenfor...our-5th-gen-today.430705/page-21#post-3597743
The 2nd row liner is the one I used in my previous 2014 MKT.

Peter

I finished up installing the OEM running boards today (what a joy) and turned my attention to the OEM splash guards starting with the front. I should have known nothing was easy. The instructions indicate drilling one hole, each side for the hole at the top of the splash guard however on my Explorer, down at the bottom where the plastic "ear" of the splash guard mates to the plastic, I have one hole with a plastic push pin in it. No second hole; the one that I would need to attach the splash guard to the vehicle. Any one run into this problem with their 2016 or newer Explorer taking on the task of DIY the OEM splash guards for the front? I did pull the plastic back to see what was behind it and found there is, what appears to be, a corresponding oval opening in the metal behind the plastic that may align with the hole I would need to drill. Not real crazy testing it out and wondering if anyone here has ran into the same problem. Any help appreciated.

DaveLitt: I just did the same install last week, and I had to drill through the plastic and sheet-metal with a drill using the splash guard as a template; in order to install the hardware into this "plastic ear" piece of the splash guard.

DaveLitt: I just did the same install last week, and I had to drill through the plastic and sheet-metal with a drill using the splash guard as a template; in order to install the hardware into this "plastic ear" piece of the splash guard.

Thanks so much for the information. Having to go through sheet medal is not good news to square away the plastic ear at the bottom of these front splash guards.. Did you use the 1/4 inch drill bit for the bottom hole as well? How did the re-use of the fastners work out top and bottom.

Yes, I used the 1/4" diameter drill-bit. You need to drill through the sheet-metal at the lower plastic ear location in order to fit the reusable fastener into the hole. Both reusable fasteners work fine at top and bottom. I should have shot a little clear caulk into the drilled out hole in order to seal off the area before inserting the fastener into the lower hole.

Hello,

Does anyone have the install instructions for the splashguards which someone could post or possibly email/PM me? I got a set of splash guards, but they did not include the install instructions.

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What kind did you get? If you don't mind spending a little more, you might consider buying the Weather Tech ones. There is NO drilling and they fit perfectly. I put mine on my '15 Ex in 45 minutes for all four!

Back