• Register Today It's free!

Which Tune To Go With?

mwittman77

Reaction score
City, State
Columbus, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
17 Explorer Sport 4WD
So I've been doing some reading and searching, and it seems that there are two very good tunes for the EX. I'm trying to decide between the Livernois and Unleashed tunes. Both seem to provide custom tuning to your vehicle, but only one uses a tuner that can do datalogging, show real time values, etc. I've heard some excellent things about the MyCalibrator device, but I feel like having a device that can do other functions, and for nearly $200 less, seems like the better option. I guess I'm just trying to figure out why one tuner costs $599 and has limited functionality (tune only), while the other only costs $399 and provides a bunch of extra features. And from what I've seen online, the Unleashed tunes seem to produce better HP and 1/4 mile times. Just trying to educate myself here before I pull the trigger on a tune for my Sport. Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So I've been doing some reading and searching, and it seems that there are two very good tunes for the EX. I'm trying to decide between the Livernois and Unleashed tunes. Both seem to provide custom tuning to your vehicle, but only one uses a tuner that can do datalogging, show real time values, etc. I've heard some excellent things about the MyCalibrator device, but I feel like having a device that can do other functions, and for nearly $200 less, seems like the better option. I guess I'm just trying to figure out why one tuner costs $599 and has limited functionality (tune only), while the other only costs $399 and provides a bunch of extra features. And from what I've seen online, the Unleashed tunes seem to produce better HP and 1/4 mile times. Just trying to educate myself here before I pull the trigger on a tune for my Sport. Thanks!

Several different threads about tunes that might help. Just use the search engine. It's really easy.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...is-tune-experience.428216/page-5#post-3623655

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/diablosport-intune-i2020.462933/#post-3626414

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/got-livernois.420530/page-2#post-3624634

As for me, I have Livernois and that seems to be the favorite here. Again, follow most of those links. I hope this helps.

Several different threads about tunes that might help. Just use the search engine. It's really easy.

I already mentioned that I have searched the forum. When you get over 200+ results, with most of those results coming from the same threads over and over, it's not always helpful. I love smart a$$ comments. They always add so much to the discussion. /sarcasm

Back to my question, which you didn't answer, what does one gain over the other, if anything, from a tuning perspective? If it's just a blanket answer that Livernois has a great presence on this forum, so we all just support them, then just say so. TBH, customer service is a big deal to me, so I would consider that as part of the equation. I've just read that Unleashed does a good job responding to questions also. What I'm also wondering about is how much of a difference is there in the hardware as well.

Thanks for your direct answers. Newb remarks can be withheld. I was using dial up with IRL and BBS before some of you all were even born.

I already mentioned that I have searched the forum. When you get over 200+ results, with most of those results coming from the same threads over and over, it's not always helpful. I love smart a$$ comments. They always add so much to the discussion. /sarcasm

Back to my question, which you didn't answer, what does one gain over the other, if anything, from a tuning perspective? If it's just a blanket answer that Livernois has a great presence on this forum, so we all just support them, then just say so. TBH, customer service is a big deal to me, so I would consider that as part of the equation. I've just read that Unleashed does a good job responding to questions also. What I'm also wondering about is how much of a difference is there in the hardware as well.

Thanks for your direct answers. Newb remarks can be withheld. I was using dial up with IRL and BBS before some of you all were even born.

I have the livernois tune. It's pretty good. I called a local shop the other day to see about tuning it more to get more out of it. What they told me is basically livernois has an "in" with Ford. That is how they always are able to come up with these tunes quicker than others. This makes me comfortable with this tune as I believe they know the ecoboost engine very well. In fact, my local guy told me that he's heard of dealers still honoring the factory warranty knowing there's been a tune by livernois. With that being said, there's more we can get from the engine than what the livernois tune gets us, but they also don't want a blown engine on their hands. Make sense?

I read about the SSI tune, and the extreme limit they seem to push their tune to. I don't need a blown motor or broken transmission. I just want the best bang for the buck and something reliable. Thanks for the input!

If you were insinuating that I was giving you a smart-ass answer/remark, I wasn't. I thought the threads I gave you included those opinions of many members here that have tunes and would give you more of an insight. Bottom line is, get whatever you want/like. Unless your a professional racer, it doesn't really matter what Tune you get. The important thing is that you're happy with it. As for @BillsMafia12, I agree with his statement and that's why I got the@livernois Tune myself plus their customer service department has responded to every phone call and email that I've sent them in the most positive ways.

I don't believe the remarks were meant as being "smart ass". He was just trying to help a fellow member. If you are getting the same threads over and over being shown then you should change the search parameters. A thread will only show once if you use "Search Threads and Posts". Using "search Everything" will result in the scenario you described. Hope that helps.

Peter

2017 exsport ready for tune just need to know which one is the best for the money

2017 exsport ready for tune just need to know which one is the best for the money
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Your thread has been merged with this existing one found with the 'Search' feature (upper right). There isn't much that hasn't already been discussed here. Good luck.

Peter

I'm going to have to reach out to Livernois. I wonder if they make a tune for my 3.7L Interceptor...

unless they post a modified and stock tune with AFR ratios before and after which wont happen its tough to tell. If one tune has more failures than the other stay away from it, that's all I can say. 1/4 mile times aren't everything, but no I don't have a definite answer.

Livernois has the most experience with the EcoBoost engines, I would suggest more than anyone else. Being right in Dearborn and having access to the Engineers doesn't hurt either.

I too have been on the fence between the SCT or the Mycal. It appears that you could custom tune on your own with the SCT if you prefer dyno tuning your Ex. I preferred tuning my previous import cars with devices like a Hondata or Apexi Power FC so the SCT is attractive. But being in California I can't purchase or ship an SCT from Unleashed.
Livernois has Mycals sold and shipped to Ex owners in CA, so thats looking like my only choice.

If you were insinuating that I was giving you a smart-ass answer/remark, I wasn't. I thought the threads I gave you included those opinions of many members here that have tunes and would give you more of an insight. Bottom line is, get whatever you want/like. Unless your a professional racer, it doesn't really matter what Tune you get. The important thing is that you're happy with it. As for @BillsMafia12, I agree with his statement and that's why I got the@livernois Tune myself plus their customer service department has responded to every phone call and email that I've sent them in the most positive ways.

Sorry, I just made the point to mention that I already did some searching to avoid the canned "Do you know about the search feature?" remark most forums hit people with. I misinterpreted the response, that's all. So the general consensus here is that it doesn't matter which tune, and to just buy the one with the hardware and support you want. Perfect, that's all I needed to hear. Thanks!

I loaded my first tune today on 15 Sport with my SCT X4. My explorer is a new vehicle to me but tuning and boosting are old habits. I was really impressed with the easy of use and I'm going to be filling up w 91 today and I'm excited to see the 91 tune I haven't tried yet.

I loaded my first tune today on 15 Sport with my SCT X4. My explorer is a new vehicle to me but tuning and boosting are old habits. I was really impressed with the easy of use and I'm going to be filling up w 91 today and I'm excited to see the 91 tune I haven't tried yet.
Welcome to the Forum Gabe.:wave:

Peter

Hello everyone, I have had my 2014 Explorer Sport since brand new and I am currently at 90,000km.

I was thinking if I should tune it and if anyone has had any issues with engine life or major repairs from a tune?

Who had the best tune with reliability and best times? Does it make a major difference? Thanks!

Hello everyone, I have had my 2014 Explorer Sport since brand new and I am currently at 90,000km.

I was thinking if I should tune it and if anyone has had any issues with engine life or major repairs from a tune?

Who had the best tune with reliability and best times? Does it make a major difference? Thanks!

From a Support perspective probably Livernois is the most stable brick and mortar shop. They have the most experience with EcoBoost and have been around a while.

SCT is also reliable, I found their support good as well but they are just a little slower to react to issues specific to the EcoBoost.

I have an SCT tune in my 16 Focus SE and Livernois 91 in my Sport, no issues yet with either.

I run the Livernois 93 tune on my truck. Installed it about a week ago and have been very happy. Install was easy and the tune turns the truck into a completely different monster.

I went with Livernois due to ease of install, quality of customer service, and tons of good reviews on here. You might not have the fastest Explorer in here, but I feel confident that my truck won't blow up with a Livernois tune on it. I also didn't want to go through the data logging hassle.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back