SYNC 3 in a 2016 Explorer | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

SYNC 3 in a 2016 Explorer

Yes, it is required. The USB hub with the SD card slot works without CarPlay but gives an error when connected to Sync 3. The Ford part number for the hub that supports CarPlay is HU5Z-19A387-A. This hub has one USB port and also has a connection to the console USB port. Once installed the console USB port will also support CarPlay.

Perfect, thanks! I just found that out about an hour ago and you confirmed. I need the Hub with single USB on the front as it has two USB connections on the back versus the hub that has two USB connections on the front with one USB connection on the back. I wanted to ensure my Console USB connections worked as that is where I prefer to plug my iPhone cable. Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm really interested in seeing how this all comes together.

Once you install the hardware are you doing the programming yourself?

Will you have to log onto Ford Owners Website using the VIN from the vehicle that originally had that SYNC3 APIM?

How do all the HVAC and media controls interface?.......or the DIC?

I'm really interested in seeing how this all comes together.

Once you install the hardware are you doing the programming yourself?

Will you have to log onto Ford Owners Website using the VIN from the vehicle that originally had that SYNC3 APIM?

How do all the HVAC and media controls interface?.......or the DIC?

See page 2 for my photos, I used programming data from a 2017 Platinum and wrote the as-built data to the unit in accessory mode before starting the vehicle. Everything works exactly like from the factory. Interestingly, after running the WiFi update my Ford owner site now redirects to SYNC 3 though that is not really needed since the update is built-in and links are easy to find to the software updates. The about screen in SYNC 3 shows my correct VIN as read from the BCM. No issues at all with any controls (HVAC, Radio, Sirius, Sirius NavTraffic/Weather, IPC, Heated Steering Wheel/Seats) - AppLink works great too and apps pull correct data from the car (Mobil SpeedPass app even gets the fuel level) The 2016 IPC shows directions & music data from SYNC 3 just like a 2017. CarPlay works well too and song & artist also show on the IPC.

See page 2 for my photos, I used programming data from a 2017 Platinum and wrote the as-built data to the unit in accessory mode before starting the vehicle. Everything works exactly like from the factory. Interestingly, after running the WiFi update my Ford owner site now redirects to SYNC 3 though that is not really needed since the update is built-in and links are easy to find to the software updates. The about screen in SYNC 3 shows my correct VIN as read from the BCM. No issues at all with any controls (HVAC, Radio, Sirius, Sirius NavTraffic/Weather, IPC, Heated Steering Wheel/Seats) - AppLink works great too and apps pull correct data from the car (Mobil SpeedPass app even gets the fuel level) The 2016 IPC shows directions & music data from SYNC 3 just like a 2017. CarPlay works well too and song & artist also show on the IPC.

That's excellent, good to hear.

There is still hope for those with 16's wanting to upgrade to SYNC3 instead of trying to fix MFT.

I as well had no issues upgrading my Sync2 to a Sync3. I found a 2017 Explorer Sport VIN with 401a, got the AsBuilt and meshed the as built with my 2016 using the DanMc85's 2016/2017 Forscan Sheet from here:

One could probably just drop the AsBuilt from a compatible 2017 VIN straight in with ForScan and it will work fine if you're unmodified. My stereo is highly modified so I had to make a few tweaks.

IMG_8806.JPG

Just going to pile on to the success list here, I've upgraded my 16 Explorer Sport to Sync 3 and it is working perfectly, just like a 2017 model. Only thing was I bought the wrong screen originally.

There are two different mounting styles for screens, and your brackets will not fit onto your new screen if you get the wrong one. Explorer owners need a Sync 3 touchscreen with a part number ending in -SC, otherwise you may have to modify your brackets.

If you find a dealer willing to work with you, they can purchase the screen directly from United Radio, Ford's radio part distributor, but when I checked on this the part cost (without dealer markup) was $720!!! Just search Ebay and scrap yards. I got one from a junkyard in Florida that had a 2017 explorer XLT that had been totaled with just over 1k miles on it. I paid $300 shipped, and it had a tiny little scratch on the screen, but to save $420 I'll take that any day.

I got a Nav APIM from Ebay for about $600, and my local ford dealership ordered the USB port for $70. Said and done, I upgraded to Sync 3 for just under $1k.

At the advice of PlatinumExplorer I downloaded the Asbuilt for a similarly-equipped 2017 Sport and programmed my APIM with that. I already had a OBDLink Wifi unit that I used to program the car with. Proper VIN showed up in Sync upon installation, it seems to just happily take that info from the BCM.

If you're missing screws that attach the Screen to the APIM, see if you can find an extra bracket on Ebay with screws. Those Torx screws fit perfectly. Alternatively, take one of them off and head to Home Depot to find a similarly threaded screw.

All the Ford part numbers I used:
USB Hub: HU5Z-19A387-A
Screen: GB5T-18B955-SC
APIM: HB5T-14G370-FCD

PSA: Try your best to know the history of your part if you can (if you find it in a junk yard on a wreck, or purchase a brand new part, those are the best scenarios). The rising demand of parts for this from people who want to upgrade means higher value, which means it could drive up vehicle break ins and radio thefts. Near as I can tell, 4dtech sells all Factory-new parts (That's where I got the incorrect screen from originally, and it shipped with the Factory screen protector).

Welcome to the Forum leimeisei.:wave:

Peter

Yes, it is required. The USB hub with the SD card slot works without CarPlay but gives an error when connected to Sync 3. The Ford part number for the hub that supports CarPlay is HU5Z-19A387-A. This hub has one USB port and also has a connection to the console USB port. Once installed the console USB port will also support CarPlay.
Hi All,
Im new to the site and I got a lot of good info here. But I do have a question. Im planning on upgrading my sync 2 to sync 3. I dont want to use Carplay because I got Android. Do I still need to change the USB hub?

Hi All,
Im new to the site and I got a lot of good info here. But I do have a question. Im planning on upgrading my sync 2 to sync 3. I dont want to use Carplay because I got Android. Do I still need to change the USB hub?
Just wanted to say, Welcome to the Forum. :wave:

Peter

Hi All,

I believe you quoted the answer to your question in your post. "The USB hub with the SD card slot works without CarPlay but gives an error when connected to Sync 3."

If you don't mind errors every time you start up your vehicle, then yes it works.

Hi All,

USB Hub change is strictly an Apple requirement, not required for Android Auto

...I'd also add for the thread. Jail breaking the iPhone makes CarPlay what it should have been!

IMG_3060.JPG

IMG_3054.JPG

Wow, that is sweet lots of apps to watch video on the SYNC screen if you're sitting in the vehicle for an extended period if Ford had designed the OEM headrest DVD system to be integrated with the SYNC3 system that would allow streaming video to the headrests.

It works quite well. There are some tricks to get the video to work but now that I know them, I have the following video apps working splendidly, Hulu, SlingTV, YouTube, Amazon Prime Video, and Netflix. It's mostly for my wife when we're on a long trip.

I also love having the full amazon music app enabled not the watered down CarPlay version.

...and Waze blows away apple maps. I *am* a self-professed apple fan but Maps is way behind. This enables the full Waze experience.

Waze is awesome! I have made it to Knight Wazer. :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Damn, don't tempt me! I'm too old to be jail breaking my phone :)

No temptation intended! :) It's harder to jailbreak these days than it used to be. Rumor has it that if you're on IOS 10.3.0, 10.3.1 or 10.3.2 that a jailbreak is coming within weeks. If you're on 10.3.3 there is no way back to a previous version at this time.

Otherwise, this is what's jail-breakable now for Apple iOS.

https://www.theiphonewiki.com/wiki/Jailbreak

Back