03 lincoln aviator | Page 24 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

03 lincoln aviator

He's talking about a Torson or basically a limited slip without clutch packs. They are about 3x the cost of that ford racing limited slip so I'm sure that might be a reason.

I have one it my front diff and love it but they arnt cheap.
O yea, for that exact reason.plus this is daily driven and i honestly dont need anything stronger than the carbon fiber clutches, they grip pretty damn hard..

Also when i started this i thought i had a LS carrier and wasnt aware of needing different side gears so would've been a cheap swap

The ford racing carrier loaded with carbon fiber clutches was only $180,thats CHEAP..no matter what any case would need all new bearings..im right in at about $400 including gears,ls ford racing carrier, all new bearings and seals..thats the price of just a locking or clutchless carrier for the IRS not including gears,bearings or seals

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Picked up another sct xfs 3015 today for $140,he should have my tunes done tomorrow or friday he said..

Selling my other locked/married xfs for CHEAP if anyone is interested, will cost $150 to get unlocked..

Haven't gotten my tune yet but found out my tuner's mom past away last friday.he sent me a message saying he would get on it when he gets back..

The 4.10s have been working flawlessly. .i needed some new tires as the ones on it were bald..Couldn't afford new ones right now so went online to ebays used tires stores..found a set of 4
Goodyear Eagle RS-A, 245/55/18 with 9/32 tread left,new is 11/32..paid $180 shipped.they are 1" smaller than my old tires at 28.5", my old tires were 245/60/18@29.5"

So made a little video for your enjoyment

The new LS is definitely working good..
20170520_132057_zpsebdmkntz.jpg

That thing sounds pretty good. Nice burnout.
Time for supercharger!

That thing sounds pretty good. Nice burnout.
Time for supercharger!
Very soon..ranger first.lol it honestly doesn't sound bad for still having the stock muffler on it,thats all it has tho

Ditto, I like the way it sounds too, the LS and burnout are cool also.

Those tires won't last long, start hunting for some better ones, like a 255-275mm tire. What would a 275/55/18 do for the truck, which is 30" tall, a common height that should be close to accurate for the speedometer.

Ditto, I like the way it sounds too, the LS and burnout are cool also.

Those tires won't last long, start hunting for some better ones, like a 255-275mm tire. What would a 275/55/18 do for the truck, which is 30" tall, a common height that should be close to accurate for the speedometer.
I got these for their height, i want to be around 28" tall..that height will work best with my gears and the drop im putting on here soon..i do want something wider though

Speedo will be corrected with the tune

I see, about 29" was my planned shortest tire. I was wanting to move to a 275/55 tire, in either 17" or 18" wheels, which makes a 29" or 30" tire. I found the forged used 17's, so I can get closer to trying the wider tires.

I see, about 29" was my planned shortest tire. I was wanting to move to a 275/55 tire, in either 17" or 18" wheels, which makes a 29" or 30" tire. I found the forged used 17's, so I can get closer to trying the wider tires.
Yea the tires i want are 295/45/18 but i cant afford them right now..the rear end hydroplaned with the whole family in the truck last week so i needed something quick and cheap..these fit the bill for now

That sounds very good, I want to see those big meats on there. Tire prices have jumped a ton in the last 5-10 years, now a "cheap" tire is at least $100. I've got 255/45's on my Lincoln, that is a nice profile tire.

That sounds very good, I want to see those big meats on there. Tire prices have jumped a ton in the last 5-10 years, now a "cheap" tire is at least $100. I've got 255/45's on my Lincoln, that is a nice profile tire.
O yea you cant even find a tire in 18" for under $100, really under $200 for a good tire is hard

Keep an eye on the tire weight, often if you look there will be 5lbs or more between the lightest and heaviest choices. Going to the shorter tires also reduces that tire weight. I began with a 265/60/18, and that was a super heavy tire, over 40lbs. I could immediately feel the loss of acceleration with that 31.5" tire, my 18" wheels were also very heavy(cheap cast).

Try to juggle the best combination or brand/price/weight for the tires.

That shorter tire also moves the gear ratio a bit too, changing from the 30" range to 28" isn't much, but about 5% can be useful if the chosen gearing is higher or lower than you end up wanting.

My mail truck is a 4.10 V6 model, and when I swap to a V8 I'll keep the gears, but install the close ratio planetary. That will give me 1st/2nd gears of effectively near 3.60:1, with the 3rd/4th at the 4.10 level. That will work well for me, the 29" tires versus 30" stock puts me right at the stock 3.73 gears range, without the bigger gap from 2nd to 3rd gear of the stock wide ratio 4R trans. I like to mix and swap stock levels of parts to create the best combinations without huge costs. I'm pondering compression ratios for my 306 to be, premium fuel is much more expensive than regular here, about 50 cents more. I might keep the compression lower, say 9.5:1 if the cam maker agrees. I'll get his suggestion for the best compression for each fuel, and then pick pistons to get it there. I hope he wants to work with the regular gas, I'd rather build it that way.

Nexen Roadian HP Tires 255/50R20/XL 109V 460-A-A $130 ea at 1010tires.com Stock radius too so no need to change the speedo.

20160517_192302[1].jpeg

Nexen Roadian HP Tires 255/50R20/XL 109V 460-A-A $130 ea at 1010tires.com Stock radius too so no need to change the speedo.

View attachment 97272
20s are to heavy for me,going to a smaller tire and more gear has helped DRASTICALLY for the low end power..these heavy trucks really need it too

Well motor blew up today and locked up..dont know whats wrong with it yet but its DONE..need to get the ranger done and get the rest of parts for this stroker build..going to be awile..

Shoot, sorry to hear that. Take a break and work on something else for a while. Go back at it after a little break.

:( More broken ****. Sorry to hear that.

:( More broken ****. Sorry to hear that.
Hey its been a ticking time bomb..surprised it made it this long as hard as i pushed that bad motor..just wished it made it through summer till had the ranger done and the aviators new motor mostly built. .another 2 or 3 months would've done it..oooo well

Sorry to hear that, sometimes things just go way wrong.
Hope you get it straightened out quickly.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well motor blew up today and locked up..dont know whats wrong with it yet but its DONE..need to get the ranger done and get the rest of parts for this stroker build..going to be awile..
That escalated quickly. Any idea what went wrong?

Back