New To 4x4 world

mfitz725

03 EB 4x4 4.6l making it thru in NC
Reaction score
City, State
Albemarle NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 Eddie Bauer 4.6L 4x4
For the past 17 years I've had a 1st Gen XLT but had to let it go when it would no longer pass emissions. I now have a 99 Explorer Limited 4x4 4.0LSOHC. It's super clean and has 160k just excellent condition. Since this is my first foray into the 4wd world can anyone offer any advice or things to watch for? I knew the 1st Gen like the back of my hand but I find the new one a completely different animal. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

First and foremost, make sure all 4 tires are the same brand/size and tread depth. A uniform diameter among the tires is vital...and, even a tread depth variation of more than 2/32" can cause premature wear on your transfer case as there is always at least a small percentage of power being directed to the front wheels...even in AUTO mode.

First and foremost, make sure all 4 tires are the same brand/size and tread depth. A uniform diameter among the tires is vital...and, even a tread depth variation of more than 2/32" can cause premature wear on your transfer case as there is always at least a small percentage of power being directed to the front wheels...even in AUTO mode.
Thanks, that's quite interesting info. I seem to have read something about that on the forum before but I thought it only pertained to AWD vehicles, didn't realize it was for the 4x4 as well. How do you take in account for using the spare? I assume you just get the flat fixed ASAP and back on the ground since trying to incorporate it into a rotation would require having a wheel rim changed every time.

Or, buy a spare rim. I debated doing just that to add to the rotation two yrs ago when I threw on some new Michelins...but, procrastinated until it was too late. Besides, only time I see it being a problem is if one were to blow out...at which time it would be necessary to buy four new ones. But, I don't foresee much of a chance of that happening.

Or, buy a spare rim. I debated doing just that to add to the rotation two yrs ago when I threw on some new Michelins...but, procrastinated until it was too late. Besides, only time I see it being a problem is if one were to blow out...at which time it would be necessary to buy four new ones. But, I don't foresee much of a chance of that happening.
I don't know where I would find a matching rim since the Limited editions had their own rims different from all the standard issue rims. I've only had one blow out in all my 40+ years of driving and I don't expect that to happen again since it was about a month ago. Who knows? Will just have to hope for the best. The four tires I have now are matched and even in treadware and I don't see having to buy a new set anytime soon. Wish they were Michelins though, my Gen 1 had a set I put on and had nearly 100k on them with tread left to spare. Will be saving up for a new set of those again someday.

i wouldn't worry about the spare. Using a tire/wheel of slightly different diameter may cause wear inside the transfer case but it's just that - wear. If you don't leave it on there for a prolonged period of time you should have no issues.

i wouldn't worry about the spare. Using a tire/wheel of slightly different diameter may cause wear inside the transfer case but it's just that - wear. If you don't leave it on there for a prolonged period of time you should have no issues.
That was sort of my train of thought, thanks for the confirmation.

Back