Transmission, PTU and diff. oil changing / how offen ? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transmission, PTU and diff. oil changing / how offen ?

Daheim111

Reaction score
City, State
Germany / Thüringen
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Sport
Transmission, transfer and diff. oil changing / how offen ?

Mine has now 35k miles / I have no problems at all with my transmission / no failure codes...
I have bought the car as used car...more or less unsure about the cars history...

1. Change all these fluids ? Transfer and diff. oils are not so difficult to change...
2. What about the transmission oil FILTER ? Not so easy to do this / I mean it is necessary to complete unmount the AT ?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Transmission is 48000 km, I asked the very question today at my Ford dealer. As for the other, maybe someone can chime in?

Transmission is 48000 km, I asked the very question today at my Ford dealer. As for the other, maybe someone can chime in?
I believe everything is covered in the Owner's Manual.

Manual shows Transmission fluid change is 240,000 km or 150,000 miles. The PTU is lifetime, if you believe it. Otherwise there are threads on how to change the PTU fluid.
As mentioned. Scheduled maintenance is in your Owner's Manual.

Peter

Sure, I have read the manual, but the question for me is, what kind of experiences other people her has got...to change the fluid earlier as after 150k miles...and how the fluid looks long before this intervall is gone...

PTU: lifetime, yes, but my experience f.eks. with Mercedes was, that exactly her you can await mass of grit !
(GLK has a common oil circulation for PTU and AT, something that gives many GLK-owners headache because of the less or more total damage of the AT ! But the origin of this grit is the PTU-part !)

And: transmission oil FILTER ? I know that there is a filter...see repair manual page 307-01B no. 18 "fluid filter" ! Other cars have a filter directly above an AT oil pan and this filter is to change commonly with the oil/fluid, but the Explorer has a filter for "lifetime" ? Ok, to change this filter I think you have to unmount the hole AT...

I have the transmission fluid exchanged at 60K intervals. (BG) The transmission filter/screen is inside the unit. You would have to split the case. Not serviceable.

PTU, 30K intervals. No longer than this, as it is subject to high heat. I evacuate the fluid, and refill.

Rear diff, I did once at about 70K. It was clean, so I doubt I'll do it again.

I've got just under 100K miles.

I have the transmission fluid exchanged at 60K intervals. (BG) The transmission filter/screen is inside the unit. You would have to split the case. Not serviceable.

PTU, 30K intervals. No longer than this, as it is subject to high heat. I evacuate the fluid, and refill.

Rear diff, I did once at about 70K. It was clean, so I doubt I'll do it again.

I've got just under 100K miles.

At 92K miles I'm starting to get a little gear whine during moderate acceleration, was wondering which of the fluids should be changed. PTU has been done once at 50K and could probably stand another change, I was wondering if the rear diff fluid needed to be addressed, based on your post I'm going to do the PTU and the trans fluid and see if that solves the whine noise. Thanks for the informative post 182. BTW I had an '04 V10 Toaureg, loved that rig:)

I hit 70k (perform my oil changes every 10k) and thought that since I was changing my oil I would add the drain plug for the PTU and change that also. I took the fill plug out and checked the oil that was in it and it was clear and clean like new. Before you get too excited it is only this way because the Ford made my dealer replace an axle seal under warranty at 60k so when it was replace most of the fluid would have come out and had to be topped off. I decided since it looked so good I would just top it off and tackle another day when it wasn't so warm (damn the trans and PTU get hot) I prefer to work on these projects on cold winter days when I can't do much outside, good day to put the car on the hoist and tinker. As hot as it felt after minimal driving I started to think that I should change my trans fluid. The vehicle is at about the half useful life for myself so I was thinking I could do it now and not worry about it again. At what mileage do others perform this service? My previous truck I changed it every 25k because I was towing heavy stuff once in a while.

Your thread was merged with this one found with the 'Search' feature.

Back