• Register Today It's free!

No Spark on Rebuilt 4.0

Thadigus

Reaction score
City, State
Goshen, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport Trac
Howdy, so I've become relatively well versed with the 4.0 SOHC, I ripped one out of my brother's sport trac (2001) and I put it in my sport trac (also 2001). Mine had the very very common timing chain issue where they simply get loose and also my transmission was barely staying into gear on the third and fourth. In fact over drive was pretty much not a thing. So when my brother totaled his truck I decided that was my chance to fix my truck. His timing chains were just barely starting to show the signs of the timing chains going. So I took and rebuilt it and then stuck it to it's transmission (which was golden) and I threw it in my truck. Obviously it's the same model and year so it should pretty much be plug and play. I got it all in and I have compression and fuel at the rail. But it doesn't start. It cranks pretty slow but my dad (an ASC certified mechanic) said he thinks its just because there's no oil and it'll be okay once I get it running and the oil pressure goes to normal, which makes sense to me.

Here's where the post actually begins.

My problem is that I have it all together but it doesn't run. It has fuel and compression. But no spark. We laid a spark plug against the block and there is NOTHING for spark. Does anyone know why this would happen? I have everything connected but the alternator (something happened with the three pin connection and I'm working on fixing it. I've stared at wiring diagrams for quite a while and there MIGHT be a problem with that three pin not being connected as far as telling the ignition coil not to go. Do you guys think that might be the problem? Any other suggestions?

Thanks for all you guys have done for me because you guys have answered questions for me many a time when I rebuilt that 4.0.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Update: When I connect a OBDII computer I get a link error like it isn't connected. Could that mean this is a computer problem?

What about the cam an/or crank position sensor? Dave P

What about the cam an/or crank position sensor? Dave P

They all seem good to go to my knowledge but yeah I had thought about that because I know the CPU won't let the ignition coil give spark if they aren't good to go, but I'm pretty sure they're okay. What I tried to do was hook up our code reader (which well let you see the rpms in real time on a digital readout) but it wouldn't connect and only gave me a link error. Does that give you any ideas?

Maybe a ground. The grounds are more critical a ST. The sensor might look ok, but could have been damaged in the accident.

Maybe a ground. The grounds are more critical a ST. The sensor might look ok, but could have been damaged in the accident.

What do you mean by grounds? Like the grounds that tie the engine to the body?

I just ran out to the garage and put a continuity tester from the block to the battery ground. It's definitely good. Less than an ohm resistance

Any idea's on how to test if the sensors are good?

No flashing theft light?

Check the mounting screws for the Ignition module to battery negative. It sounds like you're not getting power to your ICM.

Should be integral with the coil pack.

Check the mounting screws for the Ignition module to battery negative. It sounds like you're not getting power to your ICM.

Should be integral with the coil pack.

Do you mean the coil pack mounts? If so I'm so sorry I feel so dumb XD we always just called it the coil pack. Just see if the coil pack is getting a good ground?

Do you mean the coil pack mounts? If so I'm so sorry I feel so dumb XD we always just called it the coil pack. Just see if the coil pack is getting a good ground?
yea, just talking about the coil pack getting a good ground

Did you pull the computers and related stuff that went with the original motor?

Did you pull the computers and related stuff that went with the original motor?

Not really. I grabbed some small black box out of it that I could find because a family friend suggested the same thing. But I don't believe it's anything like the ecu.

Wouldn't the PATS have to match?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Its the same key and same PATS stuff. It shouldn't be a problem.
I think the PATS and ECU need to be from the same car. is that what you've got?

Back