2011 - 2018 Explorer Power Steering Issue | Page 60 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

did they do a complete scan to see if it has trouble codes?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Its still there. It was there all last week with no feedback. I called in today and was told the angle sensor was bad and they have ordered that part. I don't know if that means they did a full scan and thats what was wrong, or not. There is definitely a part of me that thinks they could just be telling me something so it sounds like they fixed it. Due to the situation, I am skeptical and wanted another source of info (you guys). If it was just the power window not working, then I wouldn't mind as much just "chancing it" to see if it was fixed. Im scared of another steering fault.

Did you ever have your Ex in for the updated software reflash for the EPAS when the recall went out? Sounds like your EPAS failed.. with the updated flash, it gives you the warning in yellow to service soon allowing you to get to your destination. One you shut off the Ex and restart, it is red and says "service now" and the steering wheel is a real B to turn.

Without the reflash, it would go right to red and become that real B to turn it.

No. Thanks blwnsmoke. I will make sure they check that as well. Thanks again!

Lane Keeping System Malfunction loss of steering ran off road

Hey, just had this happen and curious if anyone has any info about it. Ford said they haven't heard of any issues and the local dealer was clueless as well. Have never had a problem with the car and out of nowhere a warning sign flashed on the dash that said "Steering Fault Service Now" with no symptoms. Then, a minute later the steering locked up and ran us off the road. No damage, but scary cause it could have been bad. When the steering locked up, a message came up that said "Lane Keeping Sys. Malfunction Service Required". Any of you have any info? Thanks
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Your thread was merged with this existing one found using the Forum's "search' feature (upper right).
Looks like your steering hung in longer than a lot of early model year owners. I'm guessing that the Lane Keeping Malfunction is probably a victim of the steering malfunction. I think you will likely end up having to replace the steering rack as the majority of others had to do. If you check back through this thread you'll find posts that state that the software 're-flash' didn't fix the problem.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Your thread was merged with this existing one found using the Forum's "search' feature (upper right).
Looks like your steering hung in longer than a lot of early model year owners. I'm guessing that the Lane Keeping Malfunction is probably a victim of the steering malfunction. I think you will likely end up having to replace the steering rack as the majority of others had to do. If you check back through this thread you'll find posts that state that the software 're-flash' didn't fix the problem.

Peter
Thanks for the merge and the info!!

Just curious after reading through so many of these posts; do these cars actually get fixed? Ours is a 2015, so not part of the early group. Like so many others on this thread, we are a bit nervous about driving it again. Would like some input from anyone that has had a successful repair and continues to use their Ex with no problems. Thx

There were some who had to have it replaced twice (I was one). My new one went out the day after it was replaced. I believe there were just a ton of bad ones. It has really slowed down on the failures and seems the later models had very few of these.

You should be good once it is replaced.

Just curious after reading through so many of these posts; do these cars actually get fixed? Ours is a 2015, so not part of the early group. Like so many others on this thread, we are a bit nervous about driving it again. Would like some input from anyone that has had a successful repair and continues to use their Ex with no problems. Thx
From what I recall, yes, many have been fixed but only when the steering rack was replaced. As blwnsmoke mentioned a few had it done twice.

Peter

I'm sure they would have checked for a code at this point, can ask them what code they found, its usually a bad rack from what I've seen unless they say otherwise. I think the TSB only covers up to early 2013, your 2015 has warranty still?

They said it was a bad angle sensor. Didnt mention the rack.

I am having this problem with my 2014 Limited (42,000 miles) and my dealership just wants to swap out the entire rack and pinion to the tune of $1,400+. I can't help but think if the 2011-2013 were recalled for the same thing, maybe the 2014 could have the same or similar issue. Please help if you can. I will PM my VIN. Thanks!

I have had this same issue. 5 times now i have had this to the dealership. At first they put it on the computer, easy fix. Erased the code causin the "error code" a week later it went out on me again Driving up the road 55 mile an hour. The steering just locks up so tight it is all you can do to steer. Now we have had this vehicle a total of 5 times to the dealer. They also tried to put the new steering mecanism underneath of it. Which helped for a few months, with no problem. But recently we have bought a new set of tires and the front two are completely worn now because of the front end which i am almost possitive has to do with this power steering issue. Yesterday the steering went out again, making this the fifth time, and also after they had put the 1400 dollar steering mecanism on and realigned the front end. I dont think there is a permanant fix. Now we are stuck with 580 dollar payments on a car we may and may not be able to drive at time. Also if the tires keep wearing as they are now, we will be purchasing tires 3 times a year. Ford will not do a buy back do to milage. There should be something they can do for us. It isnt fair

If your tires are wearing it is 1 of 3 things, bad tires, aggressive driving or bad alignment. There are many places that will do an alignment to fix the problem.

Welcome to the Forum Brittany.:wave:
A few members had to have the steering rack replace twice in order to fix it. I'm not aware of anyone here who wasn't able to get the problem repaired. I think the wear of the front tires was likely due to an alignment issue rather than the steering problem you were experiencing. Usually there is some warranty period on parts that are replaced. Check to see what the dealer says if they have to replace the same parts again.
Also, please complete your registration by adding the requested "trim level" (Base, XLT, etc.) of the Explorer to your profile so it shows in the margin. That can be useful information to have.

Peter

Are these problems only related to Explorers with the lane assist? So, if you bought a new Explorer without lane assist you could assume you were okay? Or, if you turned off lane assist on your current ploblematic Explorer would that also work? Thanks

Are these problems only related to Explorers with the lane assist? So, if you bought a new Explorer without lane assist you could assume you were okay? Or, if you turned off lane assist on your current ploblematic Explorer would that also work? Thanks
No, the problem is not just with the Explorer with Lane Keeping Assist. I believe that feature was introduced as an option with the 2013 model year and there are plenty of 2011 and 2012 Explorers with the steering issue.

Peter

Oh Ok, thanks. They said mine was fixed but I didn't even get out of the parking lot without it messing up. They said they will put the rack on it now. Another dealer confirmed that should work

Oh Ok, thanks. They said mine was fixed but I didn't even get out of the parking lot without it messing up. They said they will put the rack on it now. Another dealer confirmed that should work
They likely used a software program on it which has been proven to not work.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

They said they replaced the steering gear now. Is that the same thing as you have suggest (steering rack)?

Back