Explorer Audio upgrade(s) | Page 24 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

...and I just ran into another really stupid roadblock. I took the speakers out of their boxes only to discover there are absolutely NO wires included! I called Crutchfield and they said that is how they come but I have never seen that before. Now I have to sit here with the wire and connectors I just purchased to make wires for the tweeters to connect to the crossover, the woofers to connect to the crossover, the crossover to connect to the harness, and for the rear speaker wires to connect to whatever is back there.
What brand was that?? What is the crossover like?? How do the wires connect? Crutchfield is pretty good about being all inclusive. Surprised they did not offer needed wiring with your purchase.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What brand was that?? What is the crossover like?? How do the wires connect? Crutchfield is pretty good about being all inclusive. Surprised they did not offer needed wiring with your purchase.
g108P6500CS-F.jpg

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_108P65...html?search=Infinity_Primus_PR6500cs&skipvs=T

They did include the harness which plugs into the connector that gets unplugged from the woofer. The wires that are missing are the ones you expect to be included in the speaker box. I can't blame Crutchfield for that if they are not included in the box, I chose the speakers. Besides, the 22-gauge stuff I got from Radio Shack looks a bit thicker than what is usually included. I hope its thick enough though.

How is all that working out for you. Is there anything you would do different??

As far as the equipment goes I would not change a thing! When my kids (19 years old) change the music to rap or gangster rap (not sure if that's even music) you can feel the bass, windows shake and people outside the car can hear it. When I play my music it's like having the band playing on the entire dashboard.

About the only thing that I will be changing is the mounting of the remote, it's kind of plain. I want to add some LED's for a little more visual impact.

With the Audison remote I have 4 entirely different settings for what is being played, each setting has a different cross-over point, different time alignment and more or less power going to each set of speakers.
setting 1: Flat (works best with the radio source like Howard S.)
setting 2: Heavy Bass (for the kids)
setting 3: (used for judging)
setting 4: My favorite (listening to Rock with a lot of kicks)

I've been into car audio for over 35 years and this system is the most detailed system I have ever had. Several IASCA judges have listened to it and have it very high marks, one of them even set-up one of the tunes for me.

Controler 2.JPG

I know this is an old thread but did anyone upgrade any of the speakers or amp on the Sony 500 watt or 390 watt system? If so what speakers did wind up using? Amps?
Rich here, 2017 ford XLT 7speaker system. Getting ready to use PSIX DSP Helix amp for mids and highs, JL Audio mids/highs components, 10"JL Audio DVCsub, with JLAudio 800w amp. Fiber glassing sub in same location as factory 8. Doing install at Car Tunes in Clearwater Florida. Wont start install for about 2 weeks. If you want more info about this, contact Mike at Car Tunes. My current Titan has 2 RF p1000.2 pushing 2 RF 12s, shallowmount and 2 RF shallow 10s, with 600w 6channel JL Audio on 3 sets of JBL components. Sound deadening through out. 3000w Stinger Battery, 270Amp Alternator. Pioneer 8"DVD.

Rich here, 2017 ford XLT 7speaker system. Getting ready to use PSIX DSP Helix amp for mids and highs, JL Audio mids/highs components, 10"JL Audio DVCsub, with JLAudio 800w amp. Fiber glassing sub in same location as factory 8. Doing install at Car Tunes in Clearwater Florida. Wont start install for about 2 weeks. If you want more info about this, contact Mike at Car Tunes. My current Titan has 2 RF p1000.2 pushing 2 RF 12s, shallowmount and 2 RF shallow 10s, with 600w 6channel JL Audio on 3 sets of JBL components. Sound deadening through out. 3000w Stinger Battery, 270Amp Alternator. Pioneer 8"DVD.
Welcome to the Forum Rich.:wave:
Using the Forum's 'Search' feature (upper right) I found this thread and moved your post here as it did not apply to the other thread topic. The 'Search' feature is a very useful program to find threads/post on topics already discussed.

Peter

Hey all,

I just got my 2017 Ford Explorer XLT and loving it so far. It has the nine speaker system, no nav, etc. I believe it's the 202A package.

I want to add my amp and subs to the stereo. I believe I'll have to tap into the speaker wires, as I have done before, but that usually ends up being an imperfect solution. Anyone have good pointers on where to tap into it, etc? My package being a 9 speaker, doesn't have the sub already in it etc. I've googled around and the sync 3 and 2017 are new enough I can't find alot of detailed info on doing this.

Thanks!

Travis

Hey all,

I just got my 2017 Ford Explorer XLT and loving it so far. It has the nine speaker system, no nav, etc. I believe it's the 202A package.

I want to add my amp and subs to the stereo. I believe I'll have to tap into the speaker wires, as I have done before, but that usually ends up being an imperfect solution. Anyone have good pointers on where to tap into it, etc? My package being a 9 speaker, doesn't have the sub already in it etc. I've googled around and the sync 3 and 2017 are new enough I can't find alot of detailed info on doing this.

Thanks!

Travis
Welcome to the Forum Travis.:wave:
Your thread was merged with this one. There are a few others on upgrades that you can find using the Forum's handy 'Search' feature in the upper right. Search in the 'Modified' thread. Here is another you may be interested in; http://www.explorerforum.com/xenfor...016-explorer-sport-audio-system-build.458500/
Good luck.

Peter

I read all the pages, wow that is a lot of information over the time this thread went on.... I am not sure if it just did not just give me more questions.... But there is some good sound guys on this site for sure!!!

I will get better at using search to help me in my 2014 explorer sport stereo upgrade....

I read all the pages, wow that is a lot of information over the time is went on.... I am not sure if it just did not just give me more questions.... But there is some good sound guys on this site for sure!!!

Hi Guys, figured/ hoped this would be a good thread to ask on.... I have a 2014 Sport with Sony 9 speaker with woofer box...How can you tell if it has an amp or not? Some on this thread said they have the Sony 9 but no amp. Does having 9 with sub mean amp to door speakers too???

As I am not a master stereo guy, I am not sure which speakers to use. I also don't know if I should wait to do it all under the long term plan i.e. would I want different door speakers if I amp it down the road or can I put them in first and they will sound better with more power????

My short term plan:
Deck changing to 2017 sync system:
https://www.4dtech.com/11-14-ford-explorer-sync-3-upgrade-for-myford-touch/
The door speakers.
I really could use some guidance with this choice and will power later cause me to wait on these?
Note: if the sound get better with just speaker change I might not need long term plan of this amp and just do better base box....

Long term is adding amp, and adding sub box....

This would be long term list, unless there is a better way.....
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_13694520/JL-Audio-Stealthbox.html
Note I am not sure what amp for that box tho..... also not sure how to connect it with out the below LOL

Kenwood Excelon XR600-6DSP for all speakers but woofer
With
http://images.idatalink.com/corporate/Content/Manuals/ADS-AR-FOR02-KEN-IG-EN_20170513.pdf

There are several members on here who have showcased some outstanding Explorer stereo upgrades.

I hate to say it but by using the search function in the electronic and technology threads will produce some very good write ups.

These guys are a wealth of knowledge and have skills I wish I had.

LOL, I am amazed that so many just say use search.... Well sometimes people do that and still come up short with there specific question. Thank you for your agreement with me in regards to talent on this site, but maybe when you read these post like I made, it was not to you but to one of the others on here that do understand this crazy advanced, climate, Navigation, backup camera, sync3, seat worming AND ETC thing we call a stereo LOL

LOL, I am amazed that so many just say use search.... Well sometimes people do that and still come up short with there specific question.
Hi Jerry. As for using 'Search', many times it depends on how you use it. There are several ways. Although what I know about using it was through trial and error I have managed on many occasions to find topics/threads that members said they could not find and I'm still learning. Also, some do not realize that you can 'Search' within a thread rather than having to read through all the posts. It is a very useful tool, if you know how to use it to your advantage. One of the Forum rules actually is to conduct a 'Search' prior to starting a new thread to ensure that a new thread isn't created while an existing on on the topic already exists. Unfortunately this isn't always done.

Peter

Hi Jerry. As for using 'Search', many times it depends on how you use it. There are several ways. Although what I know about using it was through trial and error I have managed on many occasions to find topics/threads that members said they could not find and I'm still learning. Also, some do not realize that you can 'Search' within a thread rather than having to read through all the posts. It is a very useful tool, if you know how to use it to your advantage. One of the Forum rules actually is to conduct a 'Search' prior to starting a new thread to ensure that a new thread isn't created while an existing on on the topic already exists. Unfortunately this isn't always done.

Peter

I never said I know 100% how to search all the in and outs on this or any forum. I think most people need time on each forum to get used to it. learn it. I understand, that search is first, and I think many try to search, and come up short? Why? "By your words, through trial and error". That takes time. SO if you do not want anyone to post a question without 100% certainty there is no thread, or post somewhere buried in years of data, you should make a rule no new person can post before x time here. Because as a moderator, it has taken you time to figure it out right?

I personally would think, those on this forum would want to help by, heck I don't know? Maybe using there gift of time here and gift of there ability to search more efficiently rather than just saying figure it out or assume I have not tried at all. Leaving a post, there are great threads on her addressing that issue, use search please. How is that help full? It is assumptions and lack of compassion for a learning curve at best. Thats my take anyway.... I tried to search.... LOL

I removed my questions... sorry for the inconvenience it has caused.....

Okay. I never got around to installing those Infinity speakers I talked about last year but today I decided to go all in. I went to the Crutchfield website and ordered:

Rockford Fosgate DSR1 Digital Signal Processor w/ iDatalink
iDatalink HRN-AR-FO2 Maestro AR Harness for select FORD
Rockford Prime R600X5 50W x 4 + 200W x 1 Car Amplifier
Rockford Fosgate Punch P3SD2-8 8" Dual 2 Ohm Shallow Subwoofer
Rockford Fosgate RFK4X Amplifier Wiring Kit 4 gauge Power

The Rockford Fosgate DSR1 takes the factory Sony amp inputs and knows what to do with them. I'll use one channel for each door, plus the subwoofer, and ignore the other speakers for now. The stuff should arrive in a few days, I will start my install on Saturday.

*** Update ***
DSR1 requires a few firmware upgrades that you configure from a Windows PC. It was a challenge getting the website to discover my DSR1. I ended up having to manually install the drivers for it. This could be bleeding-edge stuff here but if it works it will be worth it.

Finally got to work on this over the weekend. The DSR1 is incredible for replacing the Sony amp but mine has one problem, the right front channel on the DSR1 appears to be shot. It makes high-pitched humming sounds but no music. In the meantime, I moved the to rear channels to the front, moved front left to rear left and kept front right disconnected. I will call Crutchfield in the morning to see if I can get it replaced.

Still waiting for a replacement DSR1 from Crutchfield. In the meantime this setup sounds pretty good. I installed the amp on the 3rd row floor because in the 11 years I have owned Explorers I only used the 3rd row one time.

I haven't figured out how to hide the wires yet but I can't close it anyway till the new DSR1 gets here. You can see the disconnected Sony amp and the Rockford Fosgate subwoofer in the backgroud, the power amp on the rear floor up front and the DSR1 in the middle.

The Subwoofer was kind of buzzy Until I tightened the bolts but I'll line that enclosure with polyfill sometime this week.

full&d=1522613697.jpg

The DSR1 only has one channel per door so I added the the crossovers I have for the Infinity replacement speakers that I have not installed yet to include the front door tweeters.

full&d=1522613697.jpg

I know this looks bad but it sounds darn good! I still have the rear door DSR1 outputs going to the front doors until the new DSR1 gets here this week.
When I get the new DSR1 I will probably put it where the old Sony Amp is, remove the crossovers, wrap all those wires in split loom then run them under the carpet.

I purchased my new 17 Ex XLT in May of 17. Prior to that had a 15 Ex Limited w/Sony system. The XLT came w/what I would describe as a lack of Premium Sound System. I decided after reviewing all the options mentioned here to upgrade this system.

Back in the day I would have tackled this myself but now I mostly use people for the difficult stuff. Tunes n Tint in Lakeland FL removed the existing crappy speakers & installed Rockford Fosgate P165-si's in the front doors, Kenwood in rear doors, & added a Pioneer TX120A subwoofer under the driver's seat resulting in a 100% difference in sound quality & adding in just enough bass to feel young again, LOL

Even Sirius sounds much better since they muddle the sound so much to begin with!!!

I have found that the best feed from SiriusXM is Watercolors smooth jazz on channel 66. Great streaming quality!

Final pics before I closed this thing up.

full&d=1524328051.jpg

Notice the DSR1 replacing the Sony amp. I decided to leave the crossovers where they are, they are tied down next to the wires below the DSR1. In the middle you can see the old Sony amp. In the foreground, I guess I should trim that big red wire but I am still second-guessing my amp location choice, it probably should be under one of the front seats. I also should have plugged a mini USB into the DSR1 so I can download firmware if needed again without having to pull things apart.

I know a lot of people still bash the DSR1 but I managed to get it working and I am no where near the most technical person around there. Folks are spending a whole lot more than the $250 I paid for this unit and not getting a better result.

Also, I changed the rear speakers but have not gotten around to changing the fronts, its a lot more work when you have to pry out the old tweeters then glue in the new ones. But the Ford speakers are not half bad with some real power behind them.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, after reading this whole thread, I'm still uncertain how to proceed. All I want is the most basic improvement over the factory system. I don't want to get crazy with adding an amp, or sub. I just want to get the best result I can out of a simple speaker upgrade, at the lowest cost possible. I have the XLT 9 Speaker "premium" audio, that sounds worse than what was in my 2013.

So, what I'm considering is upgrading the door speakers with one of the options below for each:

Rear: Rockford Fosgate Prime R165X3 or Kicker 43CSC654

Front: Rockford Fosgate Prime R1675X2 or Kicker 43CSC674

First, will these work? If so, which would you choose? Is there another brand/choice that you would choose over these?
Second, is there an additional benefit to upgrading the rest? The front door tweeters, the center, and the two 3rd row?

I found Kicker tweeters and a 3 1/2" for the center, but Crutchfield doesn't list anything in the 'vehicle specific' section for the 3rd row. I've read they're 3"?

They include mounting and wiring harness adapters with the speakers.

Back