• Register Today It's free!

Manual 3rd row seats?

jseabolt

Reaction score
City, State
Kingsport, Tennessee
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer Limted V8
Someone mentioned that some Explorers had manually operated 3rd row seats. Is that correct? Or did all 2000 to 2010 Explorers have the electric 3rd row folding seats as standard equipment? The ones with the plastic gears that strip out?

I'm curious if you can install a manual assembly but use the XLT leather seats. In other words are the seats the same, just different assemblies?

I've been thinking of trying to sell my '06 V8 XLT Explorer once again. Thought I might have a better shot trying to sell this coming winter since we had about three weeks of one snow after another last February.

I tried selling my Explorer last summer/fall with no luck. Only to have people nit pick at it. One guy was interested in it but noted that one of the 3rd row seats would not raise up. He seemed to have allot of kids so it seemed to be a deal breaker.

He calls me back and said the dealership wanted $850 to fix it. I thought that was rather high to be honest. The assemblies on Ebay are $250 alone. I couldn't easily fix it myself in probably a couple of hours but I was trying to sell the vehicle "as is". I offered to knock off $850 but he never texted me back.

If I can't sell it, I'd rather fix the seat by installing a manual lift if possible.

After all how often do you ever hear of manual windows needing repair versus power windows?

I'm not going to give it away. I'll keep it before I do that. As of now the only other thing that is not working is the passenger heated seat.

Needs a few little other things. Paint is peeling off the rear bumper. I'm not sure why.

But I got this conversion van that suits our needs better and my wife doesn't work or get out much when there is snow on the roads anyway.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes my 2006 Eddie Bauer has the manual third row seats. Never had a problem with them and at least one of them is moved up and down couple times a week. I have no idea what would be involved in switching to a manual mechanism. By the way, Trabi & Yugo

my 2007 xlt 3rd row is not power... i think they came with some kind of convenience package but have not figured out if its with the keypad door option since I also do not have one of those

Yes my 2006 Eddie Bauer has the manual third row seats. Never had a problem with them and at least one of them is moved up and down couple times a week. I have no idea what would be involved in switching to a manual mechanism. By the way, Trabi & Yugo

I'm curious to know if the manual and power seat sections work the same way. When I put down my power seats, as the seat-back rotates forward, the seat-cushion lowers and draws rearward, to make room for the seatback to sit lower.

Do the manual seat sections do the same? Or does the seatback just flop forward onto a stationary cushion?

Sounds like it operates the same way with cushion moving back slightly as backrest folds

Yes completely the same, i can bet my neighbor's ass.. that is my next project after my vacation, so far i disassembled the motor and break the plastic and gears and cut a bit on the bracket to manually fold down the seat. There is a good write up here in this forum.

I have a 2007 EB with the 3rd row seat and it is manual... I think I've had it up maybe 3 times in 100,000 miles :)

Sorry to bring this back up, but this was the only thread that mentioned people had manual seats. Anyone out there with a manual willing to post pictures of what your setup looks like? I am willing to do the time / effort to see if the electric ones can be converted easily. I have one seat stuck down and would like to find a way to do the conversion.

What exactly do u want pic of? Underneath guts?

I guess anything that shows how the manual seats work. The latches to start, then maybe the guts underneath? Thank you very much!!

Somewhere there is a thread of someone retrofitting a 2 row explorer with the third row.

This is from the 3rd generation:

http://www.************.com/forums/f43/3rd-row-seat-install-40476/

Just google "retrofiting 3rd row seat ford explorer" and it will come up

Do you know if the 3rd generation rear seats are the same as the 4th generation rear seats?

If anyone is willing, it would be appreciated to just get some pictures of the bottom hinges, close to the center between the two seats. I am guessing all that is needed is the rear seats and hinges from a donor vehicle to make it work. Though maybe just the hinges and some ingenuity.

They are different. 3rd gen is 1 piece bench, 4th gen is split 2 seater

I'll get some pictures tonite after work

I'll get some pictures tonite after work
Awesome sauce! I guess to clarify, if you have seen the threads with the motor / gears going bad, pictures of that area would be great. My thoughts are that the hinge has a pin that snaps into place, locking the seat in the upright position. Therefore there might be a pin on both sides of the individual seats, not just the middle. Or maybe just on the outside position?

YBX3FIal.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back