When and why did 2nd Generation Explorers get rid of reclining rear seats | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

When and why did 2nd Generation Explorers get rid of reclining rear seats

MuscleJunkie

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 Ford Explorer LTD AWD
I was watching the 1995 Ford Explorer Owners video and they stated on Explorers with leather rear seats - they will recline. When and why did they do away with this in later 2nd generation Explorers? Is this something that can be fitted (the mechanism) to a later 2nd generation Explorer?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd guess 97. My 98 doesn't have it.

Sounds like the removable hardtop 94 Mustangs, they made a few then poof....gone.

Interesting, I've never heard of that feature before. We need to find a 95 or 96 Limited etc, and see if there were many of those.

I have a 96 EB and my rear seats recline. They don't go back very far. As much as you see it that clip.They do not fully recline.

I have a 96 EB and my rear seats recline. They don't go back very far. As much as you see it that clip.They do not fully recline.
Thanks for the first hand knowledge. I was thinking it'd be smart to go see it before getting too excited to buy them.

I am assuming that they do more than the later years? Some is better than none??

I have a '97 EB with leather and rear seats do not recline.

Wish you could still buy those new. How cool would that be lol

I'm thinking that you could go to the junk yard and buy the seats and use the mechanism and relevant parts on a later model 2nd generation. I'll probably pay a visit to find one to see if the recline is worth the effort

Interesting... I'll have to look for that in the junkyard just to see it work :shifty:

Here is a couple of views.
Fully reclined.
Full upright.
Adjustment handle.

Thanks for those pics. Can you take a few where the seat backs hit your privacy shade and also of the privacy shade mounting points. Looking at my 2000, I am wondering if this will be an issue.

Thanks for those pics. Can you take a few where the seat backs hit your privacy shade and also of the privacy shade mounting points. Looking at my 2000, I am wondering if this will be an issue.

The seats don't actually hit the privacy shade. The limiting factor is the floorboard where the seats hit when fully reclined.
here you can see the space between the shade and the seats. You also can see the driverside shade mounting point:

both seats fully reclined

Where the seats hit the floorboards. between the shade and the rear seat panel flap in the rear cargo area.

The seats don't actually hit the privacy shade. The limiting factor is the floorboard where the seats hit when fully reclined.
here you can see the space between the shade and the seats. You also can see the driverside shade mounting point:

both seats fully reclined

Where the seats hit the floorboards. between the shade and the rear seat panel flap in the rear cargo area.

Seems as if the pictures disappeared.

On another note I found this on one page describing the seats

a three-position reclining rear seat, and an integrated child seat built into the right rear seat.

Do the rear seats have three positions to the recline? I've seen the integrated child seat on an early 2nd gen but never on the newer ones.

^ I'd take 3 positions to mean,
1) Folded down for cargo
2) Not folded down for cargo
3) Reclined a tiny bit as formerly pictured

Frankly that little bit of recline seems not worth the bother. Seating is to some extent modular, as long as it's not too wide. You can bolt in anything you want, just change the leg length as needed and reinforce the floor pan area if it isn't rigid enough in the area you want to bolt it down on.

^ I'd take 3 positions to mean,
1) Folded down for cargo
2) Not folded down for cargo
3) Reclined a tiny bit as formerly pictured

Frankly that little bit of recline seems not worth the bother. Seating is to some extent modular, as long as it's not too wide. You can bolt in anything you want, just change the leg length as needed and reinforce the floor pan area if it isn't rigid enough in the area you want to bolt it down on.

I agree. Not worth the trouble. Besides, I never sit in the back, so unless I had a real good reason/need for this tiny bit of recline why bother?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back