• Register Today It's free!

Sync 3 and Navigation Map Updates

Dfred

Reaction score
City, State
Lexington, Ky
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer Platinum
I have had my Explorer for almost a year...... never an update..... no new maps....... My portable Garmin has updated maps 4 times in the last year..... Ford is so behind in technology compared to other car makers........

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't believe Ford is responsible for the navigation card updates. I think they are controlled by Navteq. Also have you compared Ford's tech to Toyota? The 2011 Explorer was miles ahead of the 2009 HIghlander I had and subsequent model years. You had to go to the Highlander Hybrid to come close to having a few of the Explorer's technology.

Peter

Sync 3 doesn't use a card for updates that I know of.......

Yes and Navigation.com doesn't even list the 2017 Explorer......
Do service stations still sell road maps?:D

Peter

I'm so old I remember when service stations gave maps away ;).

Whimsey

Do service stations still sell road maps?:D

Peter

You can't even find a "service station" now a days...... let a lone a map free or other wise.

I contacted customer service from the ford.navigation.com web site and this is the reply I got

Hello,

Thank you for inquiring about HERE Maps. Your 2017 Ford Explorer came equipped with the newest maps currently available. At this time, the release date of the next update has not been officially announced. Generally updates are released every 12-18 months.

To check the availability of new map updates for your vehicle, please visit www.navigation.com periodically.

The first map update may be available at the end of 2017 or beginning for 2018.

If you need additional assistance, please send us your feedback by replying to this email.

Tell that to the owners of 16s models with SYNC 3 who haven't gotten a map update yet. Seems to me SYNC3 first hit the market in spring of 2015...with the 2016 Escape. Still no map update.

Yeah, this is disappointing. Even the 2017's are shipping with out-of-date maps on SYNC 3.

I would appreciate any help. I have had a sync3 installed a 2017 sync3 into a 2016 MKX. Most All seems to work with two exceptions.

The steering wheel volume controls, volume knob will rase and lower the volume and the icon on the radio appears but the icon stays at zero and will not increase or decrease with the volume

In addition, there is no audio with the navigation voice prompts.

I was wondering if they are related and if there is a fix for this issue

Thank you for any help!

I would appreciate any help. I have had a sync3 installed a 2017 sync3 into a 2016 MKX. Most All seems to work with two exceptions.

The steering wheel volume controls, volume knob will rase and lower the volume and the icon on the radio appears but the icon stays at zero and will not increase or decrease with the volume

Thank you for any help!

It sounds like it wasn't programmed to your vehicle. There are likely other issues with the configuration as well.

Find a VIN from a similarly configured 2017 with SYNC 3. Download the as-built data here
https://www.motorcraftservice.com/AsBuilt/

Program the APIM (7D0 blocks) with FORScan.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-8dKaS_Spu4Zw4hV_CrKC4tLoP9G8yejqegF1wxIqxY/edit

Thank you. The sync3 came out of a vehicle with all the same options as my vehicle, I started thinking that the volume and tuning module my have a different address. So, I'm not sure as far as I see everything else works.

One other thing I forgot to mention. My MKX had a Sync2 prior to the installation of the 2017 Sync3

Thank you for any help!
Welcome to the Forum Ira.:wave:

Peter

If you can provide the current programming data from SYNC 3 in your MKX, I may be able to help.

I am waiting for a scan tool to be delivered.. as soon as I receive it I will be able to get you that info to you. Thank you in advance !

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Been checking monthly on the Navigation Map update for the 2017 Explorer site for 2 years:
Ford/Mercury | General Error | HERE

The site says "The first map update is expected to be available approximately July 2019.
Please check back later. Thank you

Back