Changed tranny filter now o/d light flashes | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Changed tranny filter now o/d light flashes

mfitz725

03 EB 4x4 4.6l making it thru in NC
Reaction score
City, State
Albemarle NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 Eddie Bauer 4.6L 4x4
After a lot of discussion about getting to the tranny pan on my 99 4.0LSOHC I was finally able to get it off and change the filter and 5 qts of fluid that came out. Now if I drive it about 2-3 miles the o/d light starts flashing. It seems to shift ok except the downshift when slowing down from 2nd to 1st seems a little harsh. It had no problems before the filter/fluid change.

I know I need to get a code but does anybody know of a relatively reasonably priced code reader for the transmission? I see some of these Bluetooth devices say they will but I'm not sure if they are truly tranny readers or just Obd2 readers that might relate to a tranny issue. Anybody have any experience? I'm trying not to have to spend a fortune on a reader plus whatever the tranny repair is going to be as I'm not real confident about replacing a solenoid or something on my own. Please let me know. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This is the only scan tool you will ever need:
http://forscan.org/download.html

And it is free too. All you need is one of those OBD readers (but it has to be a decent one). Bafx adapter works for me, it is $20 on Amazon.
It reads every single pid in your car from every source. Shows data too, and can activate solenoids.

Sorry to hear you now have an issue after all that with changing the fluid. Been following along on your other thread to gain some insight on doing this myself. Keep us posted as to what you find out with the scan.

This is the only scan tool you will ever need:
http://forscan.org/download.html

And it is free too. All you need is one of those OBD readers (but it has to be a decent one). Bafx adapter works for me, it is $20 on Amazon.
It reads every single pid in your car from every source. Shows data too, and can activate solenoids.
I Take it that a pc is needed for this to work? I don't have a laptop, might be able to borrow one but not sure. I assume the bafx adapter transmits to the forscan program. Let me know if this is how it works. Thanks.

I Take it that a pc is needed for this to work? I don't have a laptop, might be able to borrow one but not sure. I assume the bafx adapter transmits to the forscan program. Let me know if this is how it works. Thanks.
Yup, a laptop(just like the dealer tool at Ford). An older laptop on ebay (you don't need anything super duper) is around $100. Must have bluetooth.
There is a phone option too but you can only read data and codes. I think it is free for one parameter at a time, 4-5 otherwise.

You also have a laptop you can use, if you want something handheld that could match forscan you are probably looking at 800$(likely more). We aren't talking about OBD readers, even the good ones run $200 bucks.

Yup, a laptop(just like the dealer tool at Ford). An older laptop on ebay (you don't need anything super duper) is around $100. Must have bluetooth.
There is a phone option too but you can only read data and codes. I think it is free for one parameter at a time, 4-5 otherwise.

You also have a laptop you can use, if you want something handheld that could match forscan you are probably looking at 800$(likely more). We aren't talking about OBD readers, even the good ones run $200 bucks.
So your saying I need something like the Bafx Elm327? There is a Bafx 345t listed but I read it won't connect with forscan on Android.

Sorry to hear you now have an issue after all that with changing the fluid. Been following along on your other thread to gain some insight on doing this myself. Keep us posted as to what you find out with the scan.
Well not sure when the scan info will be forthcoming as I had a little accident today and banged into the back of a Mazda suv. Damn Atlanta traffic is just a constant pita. Pretty much ruined my bumper and probably the auxiliary oil cooler as there was a/t fluid running out the right front corner of the vehicle. Will have to get it looked at tomorrow to see how bad it really is. The Obd2 scanner I ordered is due in Monday but not sure how long before I can tackle that issue with this other stuff going on. Will keep you posted. Anybody got a wedgewood blue bumper they want to get rid off lol. I'm sure I can take care of the oil cooler. Finding a good bumper may be the larger challenge.

Well got the bumper off, it's trashed and the mounts on the frame will have to be straightened to put a new one one. The shop I had it towed to found only the auxiliary oil cooler was damaged and have already replaced that at a cost of $348. They were good enough to read my transmission code and it's P0741 so I've got to research that. He reset it and the light has not started flashing again as of yet. I had to drive it about 3 miles to have it display the first time. But driving home from the shop it didn't show up in the 4.5 mile trip. I'll take it out on the interstate later for a more thorough drive. So anybody know the P0741?

found this info on the AutoCodes site maybe of some help
https://www.autocodes.com/p0741_ford.html
Thanks. That site says one possible cause is low trans fluid level. I did have a leak from not securing all the bolts properly and lost a qt and a half of fluid so I'm hoping that caused the problem to begin with. Now that the code has been reset I suppose I shall see.

Being low a quart and 1/2 of trans fluid is a lot. As you did nothing else other changing the filter there's a good chance that is your issue.

oh yea a qt and half low will most probably cause some issues for sure.

Being low a quart and 1/2 of trans fluid is a lot. As you did nothing else other changing the filter there's a good chance that is your issue.
Yea, stupid me. I struggled with quite a few of those bolts then forgot to go all the way around one by one. I had the prettiest pink spot on my driveway.

Well I did retorque the bolts in the valve body since one of them was lying loose in the pan. Imagine my surprise at that clunking around when I took the pan loose.

OK, looks like I need help here. The p0741 code came back after being reset so it wasn't low fluid causing it. Do I need to start a new thread on this?

OK, looks like I need help here. The p0741 code came back after being reset so it wasn't low fluid causing it. Do I need to start a new thread on this?

Diagnostic Steps for P0741 DTC
Wiring harness - Check transmission wiring harness for damage or loose connections. Use a factory wiring diagram to locate the appropriate power source and all connection points between circuits. The transmission may be powered by a fuse or relay, and triggered by the TCM. Disconnect the transmission harness at the transmission connector, power source and TCM.

Check for a short to ground inside the transmission internal wiring harness by locating the appropriate + and - pins for the torque converter clutch solenoid. Using a digital volt ohm meter (DVOM) set to ohms scale, check for a short to ground in the circuit with the positive lead on either pin and the negative lead to a known good ground. If resistance is low, suspect a short to ground the internal harness or the TCC solenoid - removing the transmission oil pan may be necessary to further diagnose the TCC solenoid.

Test the wiring between the TCM and the wiring harness connector at the transmission case using the DVOM set to ohms. Check for a possible short to ground by moving the negative lead on the DVOM to a known good ground, resistance should be very high or over limit (OL).

Torque converter clutch (TCC) solenoid - Check the resistance in the TCC solenoid and internal transmission wiring at the transmission case after removing the transmission harness plug (if applicable, some makes/models use a TCM bolted directly to the transmission case). Some makes/models use a transmission wire harness with the TCC solenoid and internal harness as a single unit. Using the DVOM set to ohms, check for a short to ground with the positive lead on either circit to the TCC and the negative lead on a known good ground. Resistance should be very high or over limit (OL), if it is low, suspect a short to ground.

Check for voltage on the power side circuit of the TCC solenoid or at the wire harness connector at the TCM with the DVOM set to volts scale, positive lead at the wire being tested and the negative to a known good ground with the vehicles key on/engine off, battery voltage should be present. If no voltage is present, determine the loss of power back through the circuit using the manufacturers wiring diagrams for reference.

Transmission control module (TCM) - Since the torque converter clutch is only activated during certain driving conditions, it will be necessary to monitor the TCM with an advanced scan tool to determine if the TCM is commanding the TCC solenoid and what the actual feedback reading is at the TCM. The TCC solenoid is normally controlled by a duty cycle to engage a more comfortable torque converter cluch engagement. To test if the TCM is actually sending the signal, a graphing multimeter set to duty cycle or a digital storage oscilloscope will be required as well.

The positive lead is probed into the wiring harness plugged into the TCM and the negative lead to a known good ground. The duty cycle shold be the same as being commanded by the TCM in the advanced scan tool reading. If the cycle stays at 0% or 100% or is intermittent, re-check connections and if all wiring / solenoid is OK, the TCM may be at fault.

Diagnostic Steps for P0741 DTC
Wiring harness - Check transmission wiring harness for damage or loose connections. Use a factory wiring diagram to locate the appropriate power source and all connection points between circuits. The transmission may be powered by a fuse or relay, and triggered by the TCM. Disconnect the transmission harness at the transmission connector, power source and TCM.

Check for a short to ground inside the transmission internal wiring harness by locating the appropriate + and - pins for the torque converter clutch solenoid. Using a digital volt ohm meter (DVOM) set to ohms scale, check for a short to ground in the circuit with the positive lead on either pin and the negative lead to a known good ground. If resistance is low, suspect a short to ground the internal harness or the TCC solenoid - removing the transmission oil pan may be necessary to further diagnose the TCC solenoid.

Test the wiring between the TCM and the wiring harness connector at the transmission case using the DVOM set to ohms. Check for a possible short to ground by moving the negative lead on the DVOM to a known good ground, resistance should be very high or over limit (OL).

Torque converter clutch (TCC) solenoid - Check the resistance in the TCC solenoid and internal transmission wiring at the transmission case after removing the transmission harness plug (if applicable, some makes/models use a TCM bolted directly to the transmission case). Some makes/models use a transmission wire harness with the TCC solenoid and internal harness as a single unit. Using the DVOM set to ohms, check for a short to ground with the positive lead on either circit to the TCC and the negative lead on a known good ground. Resistance should be very high or over limit (OL), if it is low, suspect a short to ground.

Check for voltage on the power side circuit of the TCC solenoid or at the wire harness connector at the TCM with the DVOM set to volts scale, positive lead at the wire being tested and the negative to a known good ground with the vehicles key on/engine off, battery voltage should be present. If no voltage is present, determine the loss of power back through the circuit using the manufacturers wiring diagrams for reference.

Transmission control module (TCM) - Since the torque converter clutch is only activated during certain driving conditions, it will be necessary to monitor the TCM with an advanced scan tool to determine if the TCM is commanding the TCC solenoid and what the actual feedback reading is at the TCM. The TCC solenoid is normally controlled by a duty cycle to engage a more comfortable torque converter cluch engagement. To test if the TCM is actually sending the signal, a graphing multimeter set to duty cycle or a digital storage oscilloscope will be required as well.

The positive lead is probed into the wiring harness plugged into the TCM and the negative lead to a known good ground. The duty cycle shold be the same as being commanded by the TCM in the advanced scan tool reading. If the cycle stays at 0% or 100% or is intermittent, re-check connections and if all wiring / solenoid is OK, the TCM may be at fault.
All of this from a fluid and filter change? I'm not sure I'd even know where to start to find the wiring harness much less the TCM. I'll see 's what I can do however. I was hoping for a "try replacing the solenoid" kind of answer lol.

You made it angry... if you even look at a 5r55e wrong, it'll start acting up on you.

Perhaps your new filter isn't seated properly?

I
You made it angry... if you even look at a 5r55e wrong, it'll start acting up on you.

Perhaps your new filter isn't seated properly?
I paid close attention to that, I'm pretty sure it's in there correctly.

I believe your first comment to be closer to the truth. I said some nasty things trying to wrestle that pan out from between the trans and the cat.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm new to this so forgive me if this isn't proper forum edict. I have a 97 explorer ohv with 150000 in it. I want to change the filter or fluid but I'm scared to cause any problems with it. It's the four speed auto trans. The fluid doesn't look too bad, but it is a lil brown. I have no idea if it's ever been changed. Any advice would be great. Thanks

Back