• Register Today It's free!

AC not blowing cold

scarpi

Reaction score
City, State
Phoenix AZ.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer XLT 4wd
I have an AC question. I just bought my new 2015 XLT a few days ago. Today the outside temp approached about 110 (Phoenix summer). The vehicle was sitting in the driveway in the sun but was covered with my car over. I got in it to run an errand and even on max AC the air coming out of the vents was not cold even after about five miles. It was just kind of cool. Is this normal for the Explorer? It seems that the vent air should start blowing cold air after a few miles. Just wondering if what I saw is normal. I traded in a Jeep Cherokee that the air instantly blew cold air no matter how hot it got. Any thoughts? Thanks and I love my Explorer.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...hell no its not normal, especially on Max.

...although, the AC can be on but if the temp is set too high it may not be cool enough in the car. If you never changed it then its prob set to 72 and that would be fine.

I have an AC question. I just bought my new 2015 XLT a few days ago. Today the outside temp approached about 110 (Phoenix summer). The vehicle was sitting in the driveway in the sun but was covered with my car over. I got in it to run an errand and even on max AC the air coming out of the vents was not cold even after about five miles. It was just kind of cool. Is this normal for the Explorer? It seems that the vent air should start blowing cold air after a few miles. Just wondering if what I saw is normal. I traded in a Jeep Cherokee that the air instantly blew cold air no matter how hot it got. Any thoughts? Thanks and I love my Explorer.

I faced a few weeks after delivery something similar with our 2015 Limited. During 120F heat the air out of the vents was cool, but not cold. I also noticed that the fan outside the car was going full speed all the time; something I never noticed before. I brought it that afternoon to the dealer to get it checked and fixed. The Ex was 2 days at the dealer, but unfortunately they found no fault. They captured the Freon and concluded the charge was OK. They recharged the system and reset the control system (what ever that may have meant).

I do not face the problem anymore, At 120-125F the air out of the vents is ice cold so far! I hope the recharge and reset was a permanent fix :)

Thanks for the replies. I'll try it again today and hopefully it won't repeat that. The first few days it was working fine but yesterday was a hotter day. I'm still learning all the stuff about this vehicle. If it continues I'll take it back to the dealer. Here in Phoenix good working AC is a must in the summer.

I've never had an issue with my 13 and it was a CPO unit.

Boy this is a nice vehicle. Still getting used to it. Today the air was blowing cold even with the outside temp at about 105 so whatever happened before has not repeated itself. Glad I got my new 15. :thumbsup:

Hope your Explorer has no further issues - I'm writing because the ac in my 2015 explorer limited blows only cool air and when on "auto" the fan fluctuates up and down continuously - which about drives me nuts. I purchased the vehicle new eleven months ago - and had no ac issues last summer. I took the car to the dealer yesterday. They found via TSB S and DTC S an HVAC updated which they "flashed." They also recharged the system verifying the correct amount of Freon. This having been done - the problem is not fixed. 85 degrees here in Charlotte today. Unbearable starting the car it will not cool down to the set 72 degrees. This is the third issue I've had with this car. The first issue was resolved by a Ford customer service person monitoring this forum and making the proper arrangements to have the vehicle fixed. I'm hoping to have the same experience with this posting. I do not have the time to travel 40 miles back and forth to the dealer and not hae the problem resolved.

Mine blows way too cold and also very efficient in the back.

My 2013 wouldn't cool well on a hot day until I reached about 45+ mph.

Every now and then the A/C compressor would cycle every 7 seconds (happened only a few times and only when 98+ degrees).

Dealer found leak at condenser line, replaced o-ring, and recharged. Problem solved.

I had to learn about how to set the controls in my Ex. I hadn't ever had a vehicle with two controls. One for the front and one for the back. I thought I might have a problem with my A/C but, after studying the operation for the front and back controls, it was the back controls set almost opposite the front. Front was cool while the back was hot. An adjustment to put them in sync eliminated the problem. :D :salute:

under a car cover in that ammount of hot and direct sun light

you will have heat soaked the car. Irony this is a tested condition during development - but the limits aren't probably what you would expect.

So not only is the air in the cab hot, so is the air in the dash, all the vents etc. but equally important is that the dash, the frame, the well whole car is hot too. so there is a lot of heat transfer that has to happen before you will get cold air. I'll take a moment to stop here and say how cold. 50F, 70F, 32F. I don't know what Ford's lower limit is but yes there is a lower temp limit for the exit air allowed to enter the cabin.

but back to the issue you had - the evaporator and condenser coils were also very hot as was the refrigerant (which by the way isn't freon) and etc - more importantly.

the car's coolant was hot - during start up, and the AC compressor was hot - at the moment of start up.

so other than the amount of work needed to get the blowing air, and it's pathway cooled was significant, the car might have considered an impending overheat event - and proactively turned off the compressor or significantly lowered it's workload - until there was enough air moving over the radiator/condensor to keep the engine safe.

This is why the reset works well. Also next time consider leaving the car cover off for a while before getting in the car - or just not using one. unless it's bright white, or mylar or something reflective it could be trapping significant heat and absorbing significant amounts of radiative heat while preventing any outside air contact to help cool. (and I know it sounds odd to think of 100 degree F outside air as cooling but there is an effect there).

Good luck with the car - if nothing else you might need to have the battery cable pulled for 30 minutes or so one of these days to fully reset the computers.

Hi all. As the title says AC blowing only warm air regardless of AC setting and running for 30 minutes .
I have an extended warranty so it goes in to the dealer next week. I just purchased the car in April of this year.

Jack

Hi all. As the title says AC blowing only warm air regardless of AC setting and running for 30 minutes .
I have an extended warranty so it goes in to the dealer next week. I just purchased the car in April of this year.

Jack
Have you had it working up to now? Could perhaps be low on refrigerant and that could indicate a possible leak in the system. Good luck and keep us posted.

Peter

Last time I tested it was the drive back when I bought it in April and it was good. I don't need it much up here but it's relatively hot+humid for the north this week.

Last time I tested it was the drive back when I bought it in April and it was good. I don't need it much up here .........
I was wondering about that before I replied.;) Getting the same weather here.:frown:

Update : Car was at the dealer today. They say a leak has run the system dry. They have to order compressor and new fittings and hoses. Service manager said it would normally be about a $2000 bill for repair. Thank goodness for ESP.
A couple of days for the parts, then I will update.

Jack

Nice.. 1 repair paid for the ESP lol. Anything else is just savings in your pocket. Exactly why I buy the..

Glad you're getting taken care of. Our Sport stopped blowing cold air and it turned out to be a pressure switch, replaced under warranty also.

Same here with my sport, was actually a computer issue. Took a few visits but the part is on order should be getting replaced this week.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Same here with my sport, was actually a computer issue. Took a few visits but the part is on order should be getting replaced this week.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:

Peter

Back