Time for tires | Page 20 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Time for tires

Which to choose?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The Michelins... Now that I've got a few thousand miles on mine I can say they are an excellent tire that has greatly enhanced the ride and handling of my ExPlat. After playing around with various air pressures I now use 34 psi cold, which ends up being about 37 psi hot, and they ride so much better than the OEM Hankook's.
The other tires might be a good pick but I have zero regrets with the Michelin Defenders.

... cwescapexlt4x4, one of my daughter's lives in LP, AZ. That is a nice town, we stay at the Wigwam when visiting and end up eating at the Old Pueblo Cafe at least once.

:)

Good to hear on the Michelin's as that is the way I think I am going and as to LP - good choices for sure!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello all. Just wanted to drop in and say how much I've appreciated this thread in my hunt for new tires. Yesterday I had 4 new Michelin Premier LTXs put on my 2015 Limited (255/50/20). At 32K miles the stock Hankooks Optimo H426s were pretty well worn and were getting quite "squirrelly" on wet roads, and would have been flat out scary once winter came.

So far, the Michelins drive well, are very quiet and seem to hold the road a lot better than the Hankooks (they were mediocre at best even when new).

mi_premltx_pdpcrop.jpg

Hello all. Just wanted to drop in and say how much I've appreciated this thread in my hunt for new tires. Yesterday I had 4 new Michelin Premier LTXs put on my 2015 Limited (255/50/20). At 32K miles the stock Hankooks Optimo H426s were pretty well worn and were getting quite "squirrelly" on wet roads, and would have been flat out scary once winter came.

So far, the Michelins drive well, are very quiet and seem to hold the road a lot better than the Hankooks (they were mediocre at best even when new).

mi_premltx_pdpcrop.jpg
You made a great choice, these are wonderful tires and I had them on the wife's CX-9. Great in the rain that we see in south west Florida. They have replaced 3 Hankooks under warranty and it is going back to the dealer due to tire bounce again. I'll be putting these Michelins on the Explorer Sport probably sooner than thought, especially if more Hankooks need replacing after only 3k miles.

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I'm glad that the Forum was able to provide you with some helpful information. As for Winter driving, All Season (3 season actually), can't equal dedicated Winter tires.

Peter

I am getting and have on order at my local Discount Tire location the Defender LTX and was able to work a good deal of $808 before tax and will be installed on Saturday.
Upon looking at my OEM tires today, I do see some "chunking" but at least on the outside of the driver-side no separation of the tread but it's time to go.
So part of how I worked the deal was put them against Costco to avoid having to mail in the rebate and deduct the $70 from the tire pricing and other considerations since I've been going to this location and DT for years.

Not sure if this is the right thread, but I'm wanting to ditch my stock tires on my 2011 Limited and go to some tires that are a little more meaty. I was thinking about getting some Nitto Terra Grappler's for my stock wheels. Any personal experience/thoughts on this combo? Any suggestions on other "meaty" tires?

http://www.nittotire.com/light-truck-tires/terra-grappler-all-terrain-light-truck-tire/
Just last week I put Hankook Dynapro ATM's on our Explorer Sport Trac. Although they are only a week old, they ride nice and look great and are "meaty". I have had issues with the Hankook brand on my 2017 Explorer Sport but after much research and my 17 year old son's insistence, I purchased them through Tire Rack. They are worth a look.

For the Sport-trac (last gen/body on frame) these would be a good fit but for our 5th gen... unless you change sizes/wheels they aren't going to work.

I know it says they don't carry 20's but I would find it hard to believe they don't carry one of the most common Truck/SUV sizes.

Roommate also works for a wheel and tire shop and is pretty sure they come in 20's, but he'll go check today for sure.

I just installed a set of Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season Plus tires on the Platinum. They are excellent so far and Pep Boys was running a buy three get the fourth free special. It was a win-win situation.

Got the Michelin Defender LTX M/S installed yesterday, so far so good but they are a little "softer" side to side vs the oem tires but I'll get used to them. Nice look to them, seen they might be quieter too... Now I need to wash the wheels! :)

IMG_20170612_175555_059.jpg

20170612_164107.jpg

My in-service-for-12-months 2015 Limited with 13K miles has lost the sidewall on the second Hankook Optimo M426, so it is replace all 4 tires time. I'm a Michelin fan, but one of my concerns in reading the reviews on Costco's site for the Premium ATX tires is a 1.5 - 3 MPG reduction in fuel economy. Anyone here have experiences to rebut or support poorer economy performance?

My in-service-for-12-months 2015 Limited with 13K miles has lost the sidewall on the second Hankook Optimo M426, so it is replace all 4 tires time. I'm a Michelin fan, but one of my concerns in reading the reviews on Costco's site for the Premium ATX tires is a 1.5 - 3 MPG reduction in fuel economy. Anyone here have experiences to rebut or support poorer economy performance?
Just checked the Michelin tires on Tire Rack and did not see a Premium ATX or any ATX. There is a Premium LTX which has a rating of 4.3 out of 5. Seems to be rated #1 out of 24 Crossover/SUV tires. You can check out user reviews there.

Peter

Just checked the Michelin tires on Tire Rack and did not see a Premium ATX or any ATX. There is a Premium LTX which has a rating of 4.3 out of 5. Seems to be rated #1 out of 24 Crossover/SUV tires. You can check out user reviews there.

Peter

My bad. It is the Premium LTX.

I decided to change to Hankook Dynapro HP2 RA33 (20"), and the first impression was: SILENT ! Also on highway at max speed...and the experience in rainy weather is good so far...

Hankook Dynapro HP2 RA33.jpg

I just joined the forum and my 16 explorer with 37,000 miles on hankook tires will need new ones in the fall. Is this unusual? What brand do you members recommend for longer life and good ride?
Scotchman

37,000 on a first set of tires isn't bad. Factory tires aren't known for longevity. I got great wear out of my last General tires (Grabber AT2) and have 30k on my current BFGs (TAKO). The BFGs ride like bricks, though.

I just joined the forum and my 16 explorer with 37,000 miles on hankook tires will need new ones in the fall. Is this unusual? What brand do you members recommend for longer life and good ride?
Scotchman
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Your thread has been moved to this one. I think you'll find some helpful info here. The Forum has a 'Search' feature you should familiarize yourself with as there isn't too much that hasn't already been discussed.
There is also a thread on the Hankook tires with varying opinions. There is also one on the Hankook Ventus tire; http://www.explorerforum.com/xenfor...issue-with-ventus-s1-noble-2-hankooks.457805/
Good luck.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So after some serious heavy monsoon rain here, happy to report the Michelin Defender LTX M/S plowed right thru without issues and maintained traction. I haven't gotten into any "mud" yet but think for general use they will be good but not for "mudding" LOL

Back