OEM Hankook Tires, Like or Dislike | Page 19 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

OEM Hankook Tires, Like or Dislike

I'll be checking into a deal with my dealer and see if i can get Firestones. Sure wish Ford would still deal with them since they where the best tires i had on several vehicles.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A couple of weeks ago I bought a 2016 X Sport that came with Hankook S1 Nobles on it. I'm not sure how the S1's will work out but, I had a bad feeling when I saw them on the car.
I haven't experienced anything bad yet in the roughly 2000 miles I've driven the vehicle.

That said, I also have a 2003 F 150 supercrew cab pick up (2wd) that I installed a new set of 295x40x20 Hankook (aka KantHook) Ventus' on. The tires are OK if it's hot and dry out. If there's any moisture on the road, one better pay attention. The Ventus had a habit of slipping / sliding in wet conditions, The scary part was that I didn't know when.
Early one morning, it was damp out, I was entering a 3 lane interstate from a 2 lane entry ramp that was a right hand sweeping turn. Just as I was about to enter the highway the "back end" broke loose clockwise and I had to fight with it across 2+ lanes of the interstate before I got it corrected. Luckily it wasn't rush hour and no, I wasn't speeding.

Anyway shortly thereafter, the Hankooks were removed and a new set of Toyo Proxes are now on the F 150.. so far so good.
I couldn't tell you how the Hankook Ventus' were in the winter because I swap my tires out for a set of four studded Firestones to tackle the snow.

Hopefully the S1's are better but, come replacement time some other brand will be going on the car.

I'll be checking into a deal with my dealer and see if i can get Firestones. Sure wish Ford would still deal with them since they where the best tires i had on several vehicles.
That's the opposite of my one and only experience with Firestone. Coming back along the 401 from a hockey game I suddenly heard a sort of thumping noise. Pulled to the shoulder and found that a large area of the RR tire tread had separated from the tire body. Limped to the next service centre and had the tire taken off and the spare put on. Next day I replaced them all and have never looked at that brand again. This would have been in the late '60s or early '70s. I guess many things are based on one's experiences.

Peter

My sport came with the Hankook Optimo H426. I've driven with them for the past 2 years and I am NOT impressed. Traction is poor in all conditions, but especially wet snow and ice.

They are also a very short life tire, which I've honestly started to look at as a positive thing as I won't feel bad dumping them with only 30k miles on them.

TireRack is a good reference for reviews and these rated very poorly there. For more objective reviews I like Consumer Reports but I don't believe they had a rating for the Optimo.

I hate to get rid of them prematurely, but I'll be happy to see them go.

Putting the The Hankook Ventus S1 Noble2 H452 ( ultra-high performance all-season tire) on Explorers has only one simple reason as I see it. COST
Ultra-high performance tires are normally only seen on high performance vehicles, but since there are many complaints about traction issues, even this ultra-high performance tire must be cheaper then other brands. That softer tire would also explain it's shorter life than most would expect.
Even 80,000$ Lincolns get Hankook's. How about some decent tires FOMO?

As I've mentioned in other threads about the Hankooks, both the Optimo H426 and the Ventus S1 Noble 2 tires are passenger car tires. They are not SUV/CUV tires.
You can check that out on the Hankook site. http://www.hankooktire.com/us/

Peter

I cant ever see putting Firestone, Goodyear or BFGoodrich on my vehicles. I have had great luck with Cooper and Michelin and will stick with either brand. All I know is it will have a rating of Load index of 109 or greater. The Hankook Ventus S1 Noble 2 has a measly load index of 105 putting it in the passenger car line. Thanks Ford for putting car tires on my 4wd.

My Exploder 15 Sport came with hankook Opt. tires. after my first few months I sold my factory sport rims and moved the Hankooks to the new wheels. I have about now 20k on them and they are minimally wore. I don't use them in winter I have bridgestones as we live in a very snowy and wintery part of NY State and like a dedicated snow tire. I have 2 sets of wheels and tires and each with their dedicated TPMS and lugs etc.
The truck looks same winter and summer except the snows vs summer tires. I actually like the HanKooks as they are quiet and ride super. They are surely NOT race tires nor do I need them to be.

At some point i will have to replace them and not sure what to buy but I do actually like the look and ride of these surprisingly enough. I am actually a Cooper tire fan and will likely buy Coopers to replace them.. My wife has run Coopers on her Bmrs for years and loves em. She is super nuts about her tires.. If they are good for her then should run great on the Exploder. My daughter runs Good years on her X3 and loves them so it is gonna be a hard decision.

I have Coopers on my F150 and had them on the Expedition I traded off. I love Cooper and for us guys in the USA, most Coopers are made here.

Summers22 I agree with you.. I had them on my expedition I traded off as well and the one before it.. I love that they are U.S. Tires. We hav ea local dealer just a couple miles from my house that give us great prices and Great service. They are called Moores Tires sales in Owego. NY they are super folks..

I buy all mine from Discounttiredirect.com the local guys want way to much for the same tire. BFGoodrich would be a 3rd choice for me since they are owned by Michelin, but Michelin and Cooper are in a league of their own IMO.

I dislike these tires. I've driven my '13 Explorer a few times in the snow a few times and the car was all over the place. I did buy the car with 22k on it but now it's at 48K so these are going soon.

I dislike these tires. I've driven my '13 Explorer a few times in the snow a few times and the car was all over the place. I did buy the car with 22k on it but now it's at 48K so these are going soon.
That's what you get with 3 season passenger car tires on an SUV. You need dedicated Winter tires for the best Winter performance and safety.

Peter

That's what you get with 3 season passenger car tires on an SUV. You need dedicated Winter tires for the best Winter performance and safety.

Peter

Yea, Good thing my second is currently an Audi , Since the tires on the EX aren't good I've been using my second car. The Audi is a beast in snow. =)

If any of you do want 4 Hankooks ( OEM issued with new truck ) excellent condition I have 4 I have taken off that have minimal wear and about 10k miles on them. Like to get em off my tire rack in garage. PM me

So.... did anyone buy those tires?
A couple of tire stores in my area offered me a take off trade "deal" on Michelins, but after comparing prices on the Michelin Defender at Costco, with what I was offered, I'm basically giving them the Hancooks, so no further ahead.
There is a post on a local classified ad site from a commercial tire sales store offering a set of 4 Hancook tires that fit the Explorer for $400 which includes mounting and balancing. Thats almost $1000 CAD LESS than the same size in a Michelin Defender LTX!

I have the Hankook Optimo H426s on my 2014 Explorer Limited (20" wheels) with about 35,000 miles on the tires, I will be lucky to get to 40K out of them. I have some long distance drives coming up, my local tire shop guy is recommending the Bridgestone Dueler Alenza Plus, 80K milage warranty with 30 day trial run. If I don't like the tires within 30 days I can swap them out for something else. The other tires I am considering are the Cooper Discoverer SRX. There is about $100. difference in the total cost of the 4 tires when you factor in the $70.00 rebate from Bridgestone now going on.

TB

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have the Hankook Optimo H426s on my 2014 Explorer Limited (20" wheels) with about 35,000 miles on the tires, I will be lucky to get to 40K out of them. I have some long distance drives coming up, my local tire shop guy is recommending the Bridgestone Dueler Alenza Plus, 80K milage warranty with 30 day trial run. If I don't like the tires within 30 days I can swap them out for something else. The other tires I am considering are the Cooper Discoverer SRX. There is about $100. difference in the total cost of the 4 tires when you factor in the $70.00 rebate from Bridgestone now going on.

TB
Did you get a quote from the Ford dealership. They say they won't be beat on tires. I bought my Winter BFG's from them. They were less than the local tire store.

Back