Our Colorado Trip - It Hurts, But Did You Die? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Our Colorado Trip - It Hurts, But Did You Die?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

LoL I posted it just for you... He'd probably sell it. But not cheap. He wants around 5,000 for that air force Jeep.

He actually had two trailers. The one pictured is the lighter of the two.

Moar.

SUNP0028.JPG
SUNP0035.JPG
SUNP0042.JPG
SUNP0045.JPG
SUNP0048.JPG
SUNP0050.JPG
SUNP0012.JPG

The firepit pre-destruction. :D

SUNP0034.JPG

Uh... That's pre-fire pit destruction... The mighty Eddie Bauer made short work of it so there is no evidence of it being there now. :)

I guess your skid plates are fire tested now yes?

You gotta have high ground clearance to travel those roads.

I guess your skid plates are fire tested now yes?

You gotta have high ground clearance to travel those roads.

I did hit rocks on the undercarriage a couple times. And seems one of those times was at the top of Mt. Pleasanton. I need more/better skid plates. :)

WOW! That looked like a great time! Very scenic! Cool mushrooms too! :thumbsup:

Well after a rather long uploading process, I do have some poor quality video of our first, fully loaded, trek up Tin Cup pass looking for a possible campsite. It includes our first trip through St. Elmo. I did pause the camera a few times to save space so if you see skips, it wasn't interesting enough to record. Remember its a cell phone, mounted to the dashboard with a magnet. Its rather long but it does show the climb to the campsite.

Just wondering did you all air down at all? When I hit the trails out here I always air down. Makes for a comfortable ride over wash boards :)

Just wondering did you all air down at all? When I hit the trails out here I always air down. Makes for a comfortable ride over wash boards :)

Yes, we did finally air down once we decided we were doomed to stay up there. The initial trip was full pressure.
Airing down is almost like adding marshmallows to the road. It makes a huge difference.

I for one should not even have been there. It's been a long time, and my body doesn't ever recover.

I'll be back as soon as possible though. I think the air cleaned me out a little. If I had my choice that area is where I would go to live the remaining years of my life. I will never forget being there with great friends. To me, that is the important part of the whole trip.

edit.
did anyone notice how long the red truck sat there at the base of the tincup trail? That was MLB and I discussing the fact it would be a daily drive-

Well, I will wipe off my dust and post, feels like I haven't been on here in forever, wait that's cause I have been crazy busy!!!

Awesome pics!!! You guys have me so stoked about my Colorado/Moab trip I'm taking in Sept! I will be in different parts of the State, but either way just awesome!!

Awe man, you cut out the part when I went down to the campsite the first time. Yes, we ended up turning back, and camping in that site that they thought was too rough to enter. After the video stops, we continued on for another 20-30 mins until we hit the 1st switchback up to the summit (12,150 ft). They decided what we just drove over, was worse then the camp site entrance. It wasn't bad really (to me), just the first challenging obstacle of the trip encountered. After a few times up/down it, they did it like it wasn't even there. :)

It was so much nicer once we got settled in, and aired down.

Thanks for the memories Jon! There are plenty of things I won't forget from this trip.

I agree on the location, to high for this old man anymore.

Good to see ya Brad. Your gonna love going back to this part of the world. It's not for everybody, but for some, there is no better place to be. ;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back