Moonroof Will Not Close | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Moonroof Will Not Close

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I know this an old thread. But, did anyone find a fix. I have the same problem. Fuse #8 under the hood is good and so is #38 under the steering wheel.

I know this an old thread. But, did anyone find a fix. I have the same problem. Fuse #8 under the hood is good and so is #38 under the steering wheel.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
There are 2 motors for the moonroof. One controls the front glass panel and the other controls the shade. If the shade is working then perhaps the other motor is not.

Peter

Hi all,
I am running in the same problem.

My Sunroof does not work, only the shade works. But now only the second half shade works back and forth it will not close fully, but it was working fine, any thoughts to start.

I have a multi meter and light tester with simple diagrams.

Hi all,
I am running in the same problem.

My Sunroof does not work, only the shade works. But now only the second half shade works back and forth it will not close fully, but it was working fine, any thoughts to start.

I have a multi meter and light tester with simple diagrams.
First off did you check the fuses? As for the 'sunscreen' it is just one piece that covers the back and front. If it isn't rolling through to the front have you checked for any kind of obstruction? Is the moon roof's glass partition fully closed in place?

Peter

First off did you check the fuses? As for the 'sunscreen' it is just one piece that covers the back and front. If it isn't rolling through to the front have you checked for any kind of obstruction? Is the moon roof's glass partition fully closed in place?

Peter

Hi Peter,

I just check my Explorer and only the Sunroof does not work, the shade works fine back and forth all the way. Yes the fuses both have current in them and good.
I do not see obstruction, it looks clear up and down (cabin) side, the glass does not work at all and its in the fully closed position.
I did a relearn procedure but it did not help, any clues help.
Thanks

Could possibly be the motor then. Both have their own as mentioned in previous posts above.

Peter

Could possibly be the motor then. Both have their own as mentioned in previous posts above.

Peter
OK I am going to switch and see if it make difference. I am upset that Ford did not add a module to the sunroof to read dtcs or do actuation tests, that does not make sense on a modern car.
Will let you know the results when done.

Thanks

Hi,
I changed the motor and its working now.

one problem: The slide roof (glass) moves little bit slow like there is dirt or something and it looks like there is an obstruction on its way sometimes even it goes back by it self because it get blocked I am not sure, but I took a look and there is nothing blocking it. The shade just works fine and fast.
I did a relearn procedure to the tilt and glass, so its not the relearn process. Any thoughts, do I need to clean the area and if yes how do I do that and does it require lubrication ?

Thanks

Hi,
I changed the motor and its working now.

one problem: The slide roof (glass) moves little bit slow like there is dirt or something and it looks like there is an obstruction on its way sometimes even it goes back by it self because it get blocked I am not sure, but I took a look and there is nothing blocking it. The shade just works fine and fast.
I did a relearn procedure to the tilt and glass, so its not the relearn process. Any thoughts, do I need to clean the area and if yes how do I do that and does it require lubrication ?

Thanks
Glad to hear it's working again. I never heard or read of a 'relearn' procedure for the moon roof. What is it? If there is nothing visible in the tracks of the glass panel then it is likely okay. You could maybe try a can of compressed air but I doubt it would improve it. My shade is always retracted so off hand I can't say if it normally moves quicker than the glass panel which is heavier. The main thing is that it works again. Also, I don't think you'll be using much for the next 6 months or so.;)

Peter

Glad to hear it's working again. I never heard or read of a 'relearn' procedure for the moon roof. What is it? If there is nothing visible in the tracks of the glass panel then it is likely okay. You could maybe try a can of compressed air but I doubt it would improve it. My shade is always retracted so off hand I can't say if it normally moves quicker than the glass panel which is heavier. The main thing is that it works again. Also, I don't think you'll be using much for the next 6 months or so.;)

Peter

And I thought you read every post on here. :D

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...roof-will-not-open.410373/page-2#post-3621393

Ahhh, re-initializing, not relearn. Probably wouldn't have made a difference but 'relearn' kind of threw me off track. Buying that?:) I have read almost all posts in the past 7 years but remembering what I read is quite another thing.;)
Thanks for the 'refresher'.

Peter

Hey guys, i read the post in this thread but still having a issue. i to had water coming in through my headliner and water coming down on the drivers side by the e brake. I am thinking the moonroof motor is gone because fuses are good but trying to re-initialize it there is no movement or sound. Whats strange is the i can re-initialize the shade but when i go to test it after that it will open but then stop to the half way point. Tried re-initializing it a few time and always the same result. Any thought as to why the shade would not work properly after re-initializing.

Hi Chris. What exactly do you mean by "re-initialize"?

Peter

Hey peter, I mean i followed these instructions posted but for some reason the shade dosent work after doing the following.

Glass procedure:
Driver or passenger front door must remain open during entire procedure I
Ignition on Within 5 seconds of ignition on complete all of the following:
Ignition off
Ignition on
Push tilt switch for less than one second then release
Push and hold the tilt switch until full glass open and closed is witnessed (this can take up to 20 seconds to even start)
Release switch and verify one touch open, close and vent operations.

Shade procedure
Shade fully open
Driver or passenger door open Ignition on Close shade halfway
Within 5 seconds
Ignition off
Ignition on
Pull shade control for less than one second and release
Pull and hold shade control until shade moves fully open and then back to fully closed (this can take up to 20 seconds to start)
Release switch and test

I think my motor for the moon roof is gone because of water damage but the shade motor still works. Just that after doing the procedure for the shade it will open but only closes to the half way mark.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for posting that procedure Chris. I've never seen that before nor did I realize such a procedure existed. Seeing as both items have their own motor, I don't think one should affect the other. Are you planning to replace the moonroof motor yourself? On mine, when you close the shade, it will go half way. Then you have to release the button and press it again to close it completely. I don't think the 2011 works the same way according to your Manual but have you tried it? Post #76 & 77 above may shed some light on the problems as well in that the glass motor communicates with the shade motor. So it is possible the one bad motor is causing the problem. Just a guess though.:dunno: Maybe get that solved first?

Peter

Back