OEM Hankook Tires, Like or Dislike | Page 20 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

OEM Hankook Tires, Like or Dislike

Did you get a quote from the Ford dealership. They say they won't be beat on tires. I bought my Winter BFG's from them. They were less than the local tire store.
No I didn't get a quote from my Ford dealer, but I will.
TB

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey Floatman... yes I sold them already.. I am sorry. I am runnning same hankooks on my present Fuel Rims for summer and again love em. I did use hub centric rings and my ride is as smooth as smooth...

So.... did anyone buy those tires?
A couple of tire stores in my area offered me a take off trade "deal" on Michelins, but after comparing prices on the Michelin Defender at Costco, with what I was offered, I'm basically giving them the Hancooks, so no further ahead.
There is a post on a local classified ad site from a commercial tire sales store offering a set of 4 Hancook tires that fit the Explorer for $400 which includes mounting and balancing. Thats almost $1000 CAD LESS than the same size in a Michelin Defender LTX!

Why not try Hankook Dynapro RA 23 ? Big difference...quite...very good feeling on the (german) highway...cheap...

Wondering how everyone feels about the Hankooks if you have them on your Explorer? We just crossed the 20k mile mark and I rotated them today, it looks like they're wearing rather quickly but they still seem quiet and feel okay.

Maybe I should have browsed the threads before posting mine, looks like a lot of discussion about the Hankooks in here.

I don't really have an issue with them, but I'll replace mine with either Continental's or General's when these are done. Right at 18,000 miles and had a check-up earlier this week where I was told I had another 18,000-20,000 miles left (at current driving rate.) Here's a thread that has a lot of discussion about them, haha. (And as I get ready to post I see you've found it....)

http://www.explorerforum.com/xenfor...issue-with-ventus-s1-noble-2-hankooks.457805/

Wondering how everyone feels about the Hankooks if you have them on your Explorer? We just crossed the 20k mile mark and I rotated them today, it looks like they're wearing rather quickly but they still seem quiet and feel okay.
You have Hankooks on your 2012 GT500?

Peter

I am quite surprised as to how fast they wore, funny when you go to Hankook's web site the tires on my '14 do not even come up as an option.
TBill

I am quite surprised as to how fast they wore, funny when you go to Hankook's web site the tires on my '14 do not even come up as an option.
TBill
Probably because they are a 'passenger' car tire, not an SUV tire.

Peter

Wonder why Ford put these tires on at the time was there premier Explorer????

TB

Wonder why Ford put these tires on at the time was there premier Explorer????

TB
Our 2017 XLT came with Michelin Latitude tires with the base 18" 4WD wheels. These have been great tires, smooth as silk on all road surfaces. They will travel for hours on end at 85 mph without any vibration anywhere, yet have great steering wheel feedback. The traction in wet, dry and even snow has been really good. Maybe Michelin doesn't make a tire in Ford's price point for the 20" wheels, just a thought. I know Ford started using Hankook tires on their F-150's after the 2004 model year redesign.

Whimsey

I had the Hankook Optima 426's on my 2014 Expoler
Limited. Replaced them today due to tread wear almost down to the wear bars at approximately 35K miles! Bought Bridgestone Dueler Alenza plus. 80K mileage warranty!
PB

I had the Hankook Opima 260's on my 2014 Expoler
Limited. Replaced them today due to tread wear almost down to the wear bars at approximately 35K miles! Bought Bridgestone Dueler Alenza plus. 80K mileage warranty!
PB
Hi Bill. Were the 260's your second set? The OEM tire was the Optimo H426. I don't even see the 260 listed on the Hankook website.

Peter

Sorry Peter they were the 426s

TB

I am now back to hating these Hankook tires. After 3 were replaced free at 6500 miles ( out of round) the lone remaining original is now having 1/8"-1/4" chunks breaking off on the outside and inside tread. This wear issue has increased in the last month or so. I actually thought the tires performed pretty good for our needs, lots of rain and plenty hot where I live. So at 15346 miles there is something up with the lone original and I dread having to go to our only 3 day minimum backlog dealer. I guarantee that Hankook will never be on a car I own, unless of course they come standard on a new car... Oh well, not the end of the world, but certainly has been a pain in the ass with these tires from the get go.

Well, I got rid of the Hankooks off the Sport this afternoon and put on Michelin Premier LTX tires.
Only put maybe 50 miles on them so far but I can feel the difference.
IMO, smoother / quieter ride and the steering seems more responsive.
Had them installed at BJ's Warehouse Tire Center. They had a $100 off special. $70 off the tires and $30 off installation.

Well, I got rid of the Hankooks off the Sport this afternoon and put on Michelin Premier LTX tires.
Only put maybe 50 miles on them so far but I can feel the difference.
IMO, smoother / quieter ride and the steering seems more responsive.
Had them installed at BJ's Warehouse Tire Center. They had a $100 off special. $70 off the tires and $30 off installation.

You did well. Those are great tires and I see our Explorer wearing them too, probably not too far off in the future...

I have just put 2500KM on the Hankooks, and can say without any hesitation I hate them! They are very noisy, and transmit all road irregularities into the passenger cabin. That is with the windows closed. My neighbour who spends 10-12 hours a day in a police vehicle (Tahoe) commented on the tire rumble as I came up our street! I'd love to take a ride in an Explorer with 20" wheels that had the Michelin Premiums or Defenders on to do a comparison. I don't want to spend $1300CAD on new tires (Costco price), if there is only slight noise reduction. I've never driven on 20" rims before so I don't want to change tires only to find that part of the problem is actually because of the lower profile tires.

I have just put 2500KM on the Hankooks, and can say without any hesitation I hate them! They are very noisy, and transmit all road irregularities into the passenger cabin. That is with the windows closed. My neighbour who spends 10-12 hours a day in a police vehicle (Tahoe) commented on the tire rumble as I came up our street! I'd love to take a ride in an Explorer with 20" wheels that had the Michelin Premiums or Defenders on to do a comparison. I don't want to spend $1300CAD on new tires (Costco price), if there is only slight noise reduction. I've never driven on 20" rims before so I don't want to change tires only to find that part of the problem is actually because of the lower profile tires.

Sounds like an abnormal issue with the tires. I’d say bring it back to the dealer.

I can say my Hankooks are starting to get a little louder, more noticeable on curves on new pavement, but I also have over 60k miles on them. They are getting a little slippery in the wet and I’ll probably replace them with Premier LTX’s when I decide to invest in new tires. I’ll probably put another 2-3k on them before snow falls, so I’ll probably be looking at about 65k miles out of these. Honestly, I’ve not had the terrible experience some people have had, but I will say they have never been very good in the snow. My wife’s CX9 with Toyo Versado CUV tires does pretty well in the snow. When my vehicle was new, the tires were very quiet and had virtually no road noise.

Anyway, bring it in and have them check it out. They should be quiet for having so few miles.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Can't say I've noticed what you're experiencing with the 20" Hankooks. Very happy with them but they are coming off on Halloween when the 18" Winters go on. Appointment already made.

Peter

Back