Gear Shift Stuck in Park | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Gear Shift Stuck in Park

dxgmmpa, I think this may be my problem as well. I spilled a good amount of coffee in shifter and cup holders and now, three days later, I am stuck in park. I was able to take off the top of the console and get to the release in order to get out of park, but it is obviously just a temporary fix.
How hard was it to take out and clean the solenoid? I do not know much about cars, and know my limitations, but just thought I would check before I took it in and probably spend lots of money. Would love to be able to take care of this one on my own.
Thanks in advance to anyone that may have advice!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

dxgmmpa, I think this may be my problem as well. I spilled a good amount of coffee in shifter and cup holders and now, three days later, I am stuck in park. I was able to take off the top of the console and get to the release in order to get out of park, but it is obviously just a temporary fix.
How hard was it to take out and clean the solenoid? I do not know much about cars, and know my limitations, but just thought I would check before I took it in and probably spend lots of money. Would love to be able to take care of this one on my own.
Thanks in advance to anyone that may have advice!!!

KatJack,

Replacing these are pretty easy. Its just a matter of removing the center console which has been discussed and explained on this site pretty well. I have a new replacement solinoid I could sell to you for $25, just PM me.

BN

spilled a good amount of coffee in shifter

There is only one screw that holds the solenoid to the gearshift. Coffee cannot damage the solenoid but it most move freely. It can just make it sticky. There is a black plastic part that actually stops the shifter from going out of park. Remove the single screw. It is a Torx head screw so you will need to have one to remove it. Make sure to use a cleaner that is friendly to plastic and rubber. Spray it through the solenoid shaft and work it until in moves freely. When you install it make sure to engage the white solenoid shaft with the black plastic shifter stop correctly. Note how it connects before dis assembly. You can turn on the key and test the solenoid action before reassembling the console. The link that was sent to me to remove the console was good enough to partially disassemble the console enough to do the job.

Almost two years old post, that's when i bought my 2006 XLT. Have any of you noticed that during the issue, if the vehicle is tilted it happens more often? or is it just me.
Am just ignoring it for two years as it happens rarely with me, but mostly when my vehicle is tilted, specially when the front is up.
Thanks.

I took the console apart cleaned the gunk off the solenoid and moving parts, put it back together and never had another problem. You have a different issue with the mechanism. Coffee is like glue. You may have some other substance that effects it in different positions of the truck or temperatures in the cabin.

2006 Explorer gear shift stuck in park HELP!!!

I just joined this group and I have read all the posts on this issue and I am still not figuring out what is going on with my gear shift being stuck in the park mode. I read one post that there was a release button in the console under a tab that I took out and tried the long screw driver to figure out where to find the release button but I can't find that button. All I see is an opening and no release button.

I also read a post on an F150 forum that said maybe the brake fluid was low and I checked that and it was low, so I added more brake fluid and pumped the brakes and still it is stuck in park. I do from time to time after pumping the brakes and turning the engine off and on and it will sometimes move into gear.

I also called a parts place that said it might be the gear shifter that has gone bad and they want a minimum of $200 to get it fixed. I can't afford that right now.

And then there was one more post saying that there was a control module in the center console that might be bad. I have checked the brake lights and they work when I press the brake pedal.. So any help trying to figure out what is wrong with my truck I would appreciate it.. Thanks, Jac

I just joined this group and I have read all the posts on this issue and I am still not figuring out what is going on with my gear shift being stuck in the park mode. I read one post that there was a release button in the console under a tab that I took out and tried the long screw driver to figure out where to find the release button but I can't find that button. All I see is an opening and no release button.

I also read a post on an F150 forum that said maybe the brake fluid was low and I checked that and it was low, so I added more brake fluid and pumped the brakes and still it is stuck in park. I do from time to time after pumping the brakes and turning the engine off and on and it will sometimes move into gear.

I also called a parts place that said it might be the gear shifter that has gone bad and they want a minimum of $200 to get it fixed. I can't afford that right now.

And then there was one more post saying that there was a control module in the center console that might be bad. I have checked the brake lights and they work when I press the brake pedal.. So any help trying to figure out what is wrong with my truck I would appreciate it.. Thanks, Jac

There was a recall for this, I believe. They should be able to see if your Explorer got it done.

Called them

I called them yesterday and gave them my vin number and it is not under recall. I'm bummed that it's not...

1.apply the parking brake. turn ignition key to LOCK. Remove key.
2.Remove the rubber pad at the bottom of the cupholder to locate the access cap of the floor shifter assembly.
3. using a screwdriver, remove the access panel and depress the shifter lever on the mechanism.
4. apply the brake and shift into N (Neutral)
5. return the cover plug to the console access hole. start the vehicle.
If you need to do the above procedure, it is possible that a fuse has blown or that the brakelamps are not operating properly. - see fuses and relay's in the "Roadside emergencies" chapter.

Machine090767

I took it to a shop today and they the guy said that it was the interlock shift solenoid. I had tried what you said to do but there is no lock release button on this 2006 Explorer even the mechanic said there wasn't one. If I fight it and work the brake pedal eventually I can get it to go into gear. The only thing I haven't checked it the fuze. Is there a fuze for this solenoid? If not how hard is it to replace the solenoid? I am hoping to replace it myself and not have to pay the mechanic $120 bucks to do it..
Thanks,
Jac

Jac,

There is no shift interlock button like some cars have... You have to do as described above. Remove the cup holder liner, remove the little square plug, then using a screw driver, manipulate the lock arm. If you have never done it, or havent seen inside there, you will have to feel around a bit until you get it.

There might be a fuse. Chances are something else would not be working though because I doubt it has its own fuse. Either way, look in your owners manual, and do a check on all the fuses to be safe.

As for replacement, its not hard. Remove the shifter trim and top part of the console with the cup holders. Then its just a matter of unscrewing the solenoid and replacing it.

However...I STRONGLY suggest you take things apart, and clean everything up really well. Solenoids usually last quite a long time. As stated above, coffee or soda or grime could be making the solenoid sticky. They dont have a ton of power behind them. Thats why the black plastic piece is so loose. It NEEDS to be loose and moving freely. So check all of that and make sure nothing else is busted in there while you're at it before spending the bucks to have it fixed.

Replacing Solenoid

JeepGuy25,

I ended up buying the solenoid and tried replacing it myself but it was such a struggle. I found the housing that the solenoid fits in but the wires are so short that you can't pull it up to change it. I only took the console part off that is where the cup holders are and running inside that is a black oblong tube that runs the AC too the back seats.

After fighting with it for over an hour I finally gave up. It looks too me like you have to take the full console off to get to the part. I am really not sure how else to get to the solenoid to replace it. I am now able to reach in and work the release lever too unlock the shifter until I can afford to take it in to a mechanic to get it fixed. I took it to one guy that said it was around $80 to $100 to change it out because he would have to take the whole console out...

Not sure what else to do on my own to replace the part. I can do it if only I could get to the solenoid easier. Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Jac

Hmmm...I just checked out my shift knob install video to get a good look at that area again. And now I remember the wires going pretty far down. BUT...nothing is hard to take apart in that area. The console shouldnt be too hard to get out as far as you are. Probably some bolts in the storage compartment, and maybe some at the very front. The two side panels pull right off near the front.

Be adventurous :) Just start pulling stuff apart. If it feels like its going to break, just stop and look for reasons why its not coming apart. I have found that my explorer is one of the easiest cars Ive owned to take apart inside.

Also...$80-100 isnt TOO terrible of a price. Depending how far they have to dig, that could easily be an hour of labor, and $90/hr is probably the going rate these days.

Wish I could help you more, but I didnt have to tear down that far yet. The shifter assembly, while somewhat complicated looking, really isnt that bad on these. You can easily disable the system so you can shift freely without the brake, but you still have to pull the trigger on the shifter. Not ideal, but if it gets you out of a pickle until you can fix it right, its not a big deal.

I have the same problem on 2009 Eddie Bauer Explorer w/center console shifter. Once in a Blue Moon it will get stuck in Park. I took my cc completely apart and cleaned everything. The shift lock solenoid works perfectly when you press on the brake. I know how to remove the cup holder, remove the plug and press down on the "thingy" on the rare occasion it gets stuck in park, but I can see it is already in the down and unlock position...in other words, no help! It has occurred maybe 5 to 6 times in past year. Usually it occurs on an incline, but once it occurred on flat level surface! I can usually keep playing with it and eventually it will come out of park.

It appears to me the shift solenoid and that little black plastic "lock thingy" only locks the shifter movement in the console! Once the shifter console lever is unlocked there, it frees the shift lever to move the control cable that goes directly to the shift lever on the left side of the transmission. When my console shifter normally moves from P to R (the first inch of travel), it allows the park pawl in side the tail housing of the transmission (engaged when in park) to spring to the unlocked position. My problem is, the shift in the console unlocks, moves half way to R but meets resistance to go any further! In other words, the shifter is unlocked in the console, but for some reason, the shift cable force cannot move the lever on the left side of the transmission to allow the park pawl to drop out and unlock itself form the slotted park pawl gear?

The last 2 times it occurred, I had the console cover off and verified the shift solenoid was working and the "black lock thingy" was in unlock position when brake pedal was depressed I then had my son rock the car while I held the "black thingy" open manually (YOU CANNOT PRESS THE BRAKE PEDAL TO DO IT, BECAUSE YOU CANNOT ROCK THE CAR WITH THE BRAKE ON!). With the brake OFF and the console lock manually held OPEN/UNLOCKED, yes he was able to rock the car and with some force, the shifter moved freely out of park and into reverse and on to all other gear positions!

This does not happen very often AND I have parked on steep hills and 99% of the time it will not happen...BUT once in a while it will. My first thought is the little spring on the park pawl is weak or broken, but then why doesn't it do it more often? Is the park pawl worn? I can see there are about 24 to 28 notches in the park pawl ring gear, making me think there my be only 1 or 2 of these notches that may be worn or damaged to the point the park pawl cannot slide out IF ones of these notches is randomly selected...that would explain the randomness!

All that said, if anyone out there has experienced this problem or has comments....please reply! THANKS!

Replace your "Shift Interlock Module"

Worked for me.

Thanks much, but if you read my post all the way to the end, I have already ruled that out as my problem. It is not the Shift Interlock Module. It works perfectly every time I press the brake and unlocks the shifter lock inside the center console...I can see it happen! I truly believe I have a problem with the park pawl to notched park gear in the rear housing of the transmission! Thanks for the comment regardless! I will have to drop the drive shaft and then pull the rear housing cover off to see it. ...more to come!

Replace your "Shift Interlock Module"

Worked for me.

Thanks much, but if you read my post all the way to the end, I have already ruled that out as my problem. It is not the Shift Interlock Module. It works perfectly every time I press the brake and unlocks the shifter lock inside the center console...I can see it happen! I truly believe I have a problem with the park pawl to notched park gear in the rear housing of the transmission! Thanks for the comment regardless! I will have to drop the drive shaft and then pull the rear housing cover off to see it. ...more to come!
WATCH THIS VIDEO TO SEE HOW IT WORKS!

Sorry JB. If I'm hearing you correctly, you're saying that even when the interlock mechanism is fully retracted, you still can't pull it out of park.

As you can see, this thread has pretty much become dedicated to the interlock issue. I wouldn't wish your repair on anyone. Good luck!

I totally get it, but the module is intermittent. It's less than twenty bucks and takes 15 minutes to install.

Let me see if I can make it clear why I know it is not my Shift Control Module! To find out if the Shift Control Module was failing intermittently, I pulled the center console cover off the last 2 times it occurred and the Shift Control Module was working perfectly every time I pushed the brake. The car remained stuck in park with the Shift Control Module and "black plastic thingy" pushed fully forward and down into the "unlock" position! In my case, it is not the Shift Control Module at all...it works perfectly each and every time!

IMPORTANT NOTE: When you attempt to move the gearshift lever out of park WITHOUT pressing the brake pedal, the shifter will NOT MOVE AT ALL (same would occur IF the Shift Control Module was not working). It is locked into place by the "black plastic thingy". When I press on the brake pedal, I can see the Shift Control Module push the "black plastic thingy" into the fully unlocked position AND then the shifter will now move a short distance and halfway into Park only because it is unlocked in the center console ONLY.

At this point, the shift control cable starts moving the lever on the left side of the transmission to pull the park pawl out of the locked position, but the resistance is too great. IMHO, this is the only thing left to prevent the shift lever from moving out of PARK??? Why does it only happen rarely? Because there could be only 1 notch that is worn or damaged in the park pawl gear that has appx 20 or more notches in it.....like Russian Roulette, when the park pawl engages by chance into that 1 of 20 plus notches AND I am on an incline....I GET STUCK IN PARK! I could also have a weak or broken spring on my park pawl??? That little spring is the ONLY thing pulls the park pawl out of engagement! Comments again are welcome and I appreciate them all!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Morning JB. I was editing my previous post at the same time you were posting. I would get a quote from a transmission shop or two. That would give you an idea of how the repair would be done correctly. Also, start a new thread with parking pawl in the title.

Back