06 Explorer Rough Idle when in Park..Help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Funkydm

Reaction score
City, State
Deer Park, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Ford Explorer
Here is what I got:
2006 Eddie Bauer 4x4 4.0 Sohc v6 121,000 Miles

Here is what happened:
Vehicle overheated due to thermostat housing melted and seam separated.

Here is what I've done:
Replaced Thermostat housing
Radiator Flush and fluid replace
Oil Flush and fluid replace
Changed PCM,spark plugs and wires
Replaced throttle body
Replaced Fuel injectors
PCV replaced
New Air Filter ( not that would do anything)

Ongoing problems:
Antifreeze is needing to be replaced everyday(no puddles or leaks found)
Rough idle when in park or at a stop sign whether in drive ,neutral or park
Heater is not working ( no puddles in passenger floorboard)
Heater will sometimes work if I drive or accelerate
Misfire on Cylinder 5 from time to time

I don't know what else to do. I have had friends run computer at shop but no problems found. Please help ideas. I only posted because all the other threads are so old.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Losing fluid - probably a split head gasket. That's one of my issues, but it's to the outside and not the cylinder, so I haven't fixed.
Rough idle - check 'ghosts in the machine thread' and then check your truck for bare wiring
Heater - during the radiator work, did they bypass the heater core? Or is it a fan issue?
Misfire - did you replace the coil pack?

I would start buy finding where the coolant is going my guess is head gasket and its going into cylinder #5. A head gaket could cause a misfire and on the compression stroke can force air into the cooling system causing no heat.

Losing fluid - probably a split head gasket. That's one of my issues, but it's to the outside and not the cylinder, so I haven't fixed.
Rough idle - check 'ghosts in the machine thread' and then check your truck for bare wiring
Heater - during the radiator work, did they bypass the heater core? Or is it a fan issue?
Misfire - did you replace the coil pack?

Nobody did radiator work. No one bypassed the heater core. Fan ,maybe, from time to time it blows really hard. I don’t seem to be losing fluid anymore. Someone suggested it might be the Ecm/pcm. Don’t know what to do. And trading it in is not an option ,it’s paid for.

Ok so after recovering from surgery I can now after a year get back to this car. Got the car all prepped fluids changed, new starter, batte4ry oil change. Still has a rough idle. I have replaced hoses to the vapor canister because older one was flattening. Radiator compression test passed. No radiato4 fluid in oil came out black but no milky white substance. Ac recharged and cold as hell. OH and the heater works just fine replaced fuel injectors too. So I can run the car for hours and all is ok as far as temperatures, but I shut the car off and the radiator bubbles and the reservoir fills up. I don’t get it. There is no head gasket blow. So am at a complete loss. Any ideas as I feel I’m just rambling now?

What do you mean, no head gasket to blow?

What do you mean, no head gasket to blow?
Not , “no head gasket to blow”. There is “no head gasket blow”. Or there isn’t a blown head gasket or the head gasket isn’t blown. Reason I mentioned the head gasket is so no one would think it was blown and pushing air into the radiator. I was responding to you when you told me to check it.

Today I replaced the radiator cap and in comparison to the old one. What a difference. I could barely get it on it was so tight. Ran the car for about 2 hours straight and didn’t have any reservoir overfill. I think that fixed that issue.

As for the hose collapsing, I replaced the hose with a new reinforced carbon ringed hose and it doesn’t collapse but I still think there is a problem there. I have a 2008 Explorer also , so pretty much same set up, I unplugged the same hose on that vehicle and the rough idle started immediately!!! I am gonna try and post pictures of what I’m referring to. I also replaced the canister valve that is there but it didn’t fix the issue so it may be further down. Maybe toward the gas tank. Not sure what else to do.

A03B015E-CF55-4277-9825-A2054D06CD84.jpeg
5D22A183-4903-401D-81AC-E0B9BD63B7A2.jpeg

This is the hose and it goes around the back of theof manifold comes out on the right side of motor and connects to the canister. From there it’s connectto a larger hose and down thru firewall and out under car going to the fuel system, I think.

8C7455B3-B870-4EF9-B9AC-512BB1A50FB4.jpeg

D2C9945B-E9FE-4D30-802C-E816C5CF1436.jpeg

Back