Tow-Mode Button Installation | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tow-Mode Button Installation

I paid $59 for this.

I checked and for my limited with Blind Spot, Parking Sensors and proximity key I would need the "L" version which unfortunately is the most expensive version at around $85...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I checked and for my limited with Blind Spot, Parking Sensors and proximity key I would need the "L" version which unfortunately is the most expensive version at around $85...

I found it for $74.13. Still better than splicing in aftermarket wiring.

I found it for $74.13. Still better than splicing in aftermarket wiring.

The shipping costs to Canada unfortunately kill the deal and almost make it worth ordering it locally.

i installed my tow/haul button last night in 15 mins... the harness was waiting for me there plugged into a dummy plug behind the flat panel...

SWEET!

Panel part #

Does anyone happen to have the part number for the switch panel, mine does not have the provision for the panel, no power lift or blind spot installed.

image.jpg

found the trim

but I don't know which part number designates wood, stone etc above the headlamp switch:
BB5Z7804338DB.jpg

http://www.tascaparts.com/oe-ford/bb5z7804338db

The part number is BB5Z-7804338-DB, if I mess with the last 2 letters of the part number (AD, AB, BA, EB, FA, AA, EA, CB, DA, CA, FB) I can only come up with a parts drawing. DB comes up with a silver trim. I have a wood trim as pictured in the post above. Any parts experts willing to chime in on this?

Anyway to get an updated guide for installation? All the pics are gone.

Anyway to get an updated guide for installation? All the pics are gone.
Try sending the poster a PM to see if he can repost the pictures.

Peter

I've done the installation, and you don't really need pictures to do it. Here's the step-by-step, should take you max 10 min.
  1. Disconnect negative battery terminal
  2. Open driver-side door
  3. The small flat panel on the left of the steering column (left of the buttons, it faces the door) needs to come off for easy access. I can pry mine off with my fingers, but if you can't, get something flat that you can pry with (putty knife or such is ok but be careful of scratching, plastic is better) and pop it off. After this you can see behind the button panel through the window that it creates.
  4. Pull on the panel that has the buttons on it, it's attached with 4 clips that give in after enough pulling force. You might get away with only popping off the top two, but if necessary pop all of them off. On my car this panel overlaps with the panel that's below the steering column (the one you remove to get access to the fuse box). Again, on my car, I can "overlap" them without the need to remove the bottom panel. If you can't, remove the bottom panel first.
  5. The panel will now hang by the wires for the buttons. Unclip the wire harness that goes to the buttons module, it's your standard "push pin in and pull" connector.
  6. On each side of the button module there's a piece that sticks out that keeps it locked in place, push on each as you push from the back and it'll pop out.
  7. Insert new buttons and they will click in, click harness in.
  8. Reconnect negative battery terminal. Start the car. Push buttons to make sure they work.
  9. Replace panels.
  10. Tow tow tow..

I've done the installation, and you don't really need pictures to do it. Here's the step-by-step, should take you max 10 min.
  1. Disconnect negative battery terminal
  2. Open driver-side door
  3. The small flat panel on the left of the steering column (left of the buttons, it faces the door) needs to come off for easy access. I can pry mine off with my fingers, but if you can't, get something flat that you can pry with (putty knife or such is ok but be careful of scratching, plastic is better) and pop it off. After this you can see behind the button panel through the window that it creates.
  4. Pull on the panel that has the buttons on it, it's attached with 4 clips that give in after enough pulling force. You might get away with only popping off the top two, but if necessary pop all of them off. On my car this panel overlaps with the panel that's below the steering column (the one you remove to get access to the fuse box). Again, on my car, I can "overlap" them without the need to remove the bottom panel. If you can't, remove the bottom panel first.
  5. The panel will now hang by the wires for the buttons. Unclip the wire harness that goes to the buttons module, it's your standard "push pin in and pull" connector.
  6. On each side of the button module there's a piece that sticks out that keeps it locked in place, push on each as you push from the back and it'll pop out.
  7. Insert new buttons and they will click in, click harness in.
  8. Reconnect negative battery terminal. Start the car. Push buttons to make sure they work.
  9. Replace panels.
  10. Tow tow tow..

Which wiring harness will work for power liftgate button? I have ford explorer XLT 2015, and recently I installed aftermarket power liftgate, I want to install new dash button to open power liftgate. I am struggling to get the wiring diagram of that liftgate switch button, how we can connect it to open liftgate.

none of the links for this button are active, or work any more. anyone knows where to find the proper hardware for installation? i have the power lift gate, just need the tow button as the OP originally posted.

thanks

none of the links for this button are active, or work any more. anyone knows where to find the proper hardware for installation? i have the power lift gate, just need the tow button as the OP originally posted.

thanks
I found this post using the Forum's 'Search' feature; Did NOT get Factory Tow Package, Now What? You may want to consider sending the member a PM to see if he can help.

Peter

T

The link I provided is for a post by a member who installed the tow button so I thought contacting him might help.

Peter

Thanks Peter, i know. As i mentioned, i read through that whole thread already (whole 15 pages of it). Quick search with slightly different words found me the button module. Figured that would be faster than waiting for a reply from anyone. The one i posted above.

Thanks Peter, i know. As i mentioned, i read through that whole thread already (whole 15 pages of it). Quick search with slightly different words found me the button module. Figured that would be faster than waiting for a reply from anyone. The one i posted above.

Just remember to make sure the switch's other buttons match what you have (Auto park assist & power lift gate).

If you have a Police Interceptor Utility, there is no wiring harness under the trim piece. I am going to test whether or not Tow Mode even is programmed into the transmission.

Tow Haul comes off of the BCM, to the momentary switch, then to the Transmission Module. The PIU's Low Gear column switch comes off the BCM, to the column switch, then back to the Transmission Module. Both Tow Haul and Low Gear go to the same pin on the Transmission Module. They come from different pins on the BCM however.

When I test this, either I blow something up, nothing happens, the Low Gear option gets activated as usual, or Tow Mode turns on and functions.

Apparently no one has tried this yet.

I have a 2018 Explorer XLT without the factory tow package. I am looking to install the tow/haul button but I am having trouble finding the part numbers. Can anyone help with the part numbers and is there much work involved to do this?

I have a 2018 Explorer XLT without the factory tow package. I am looking to install the tow/haul button but I am having trouble finding the part numbers. Can anyone help with the part numbers and is there much work involved to do this?

All the button does is turn off overdrive. You can achieve the same thing by driving in Sport 'S' mode and staying in gears 1-3 (gears 4,5, and 6 are overdrive in this generation).

Sidenote, why only the button? Are you trying to retrofit the whole package?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

All the button does is turn off overdrive. You can achieve the same thing by driving in Sport 'S' mode and staying in gears 1-3 (gears 4,5, and 6 are overdrive in this generation).

Sidenote, why only the button? Are you trying to retrofit the whole package?

What are the gear ratios in the transmission?

Back