M90 rebuild (rudy) | Page 48 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

M90 rebuild (rudy)

well figured i would start a new thread.just a quick background.did the whole build on my explorer but built it using stock head gaskets and head bolts.did it really as a safety net and i just couldnt afford head studs at the time.well to say the least i blew the head gaskets off from it wile i was in the mountains on a forum trip about two years later.

i picked up a 1994 ranger,its got the 4.0 OHV and is a 5 speed 2wd.the plan is to pull the motor out of the explorer and rebuild it.

this thread will basically cover the rebuild and build up of the new ranger.it will basically end up as a street race truck.ive named it Rudy:D:D so let the fun begin.
:burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout:

UPDATE
new motor specs
BORE: 4" JE asymmetrical pistons (custom over bore)

20141031_163839_zpso5ifzafx.jpg

RODS: 6.058 Manley (longer rod)
20140226_134243_zpsdapxouhk.jpg

VALVES: IN-1.8 EX-1.5 Manley heavy duty (.150 over)
20160527_114556_zpsiohyyelp.jpg

20140515_162402_zpsftg0qlcd.jpg

20160313_161946_zpswgleqayt.jpg

20160318_160734_zpsxxxpuld8.jpg

Transmission:T5 hybrid from a 2006 Mustang and 93 Fox
HEADS: 93TM HEAVILY ported with custom brass guides and copper gaskets/O-ringed with ARP studs
CAM: 422 Comp cams with 988 springs and Toms custom lifters,push rods and 1.7 roller rockers
Complete blueprint and balanced internals
GM M90 supercharged with one 1" intercooler plates with ASP 8 rib belt conversion. .
pushing 16 lbs of boost with small shot of NOS
Running on E50
Dyno tuned by Dyno Tune Performance outa Virginia using SCT

old thread and pic
3800 M90 Build
ported and polished gm 3800 gen 2 m90
Water to air intercooled
port matched 76mm inlet and intake tube
mustang 75mm race tb
90mm maf
36lb injectors
255 fuel pump
sct 5bank dyno tuned
2.7" pulley 10lbs of boost!!;)
2012-06-09201057.jpg

2012-06-09201139-1.jpg

2012-06-09201207.jpg

and the new 1994 ranger 4.0 OHV 5 speed 2WD with 115,000 miles on it.o and i only paid $1,000 for it:shifty_ey
RUDY
IMG952013032295172932_zps77585c66.jpg

FB_IMG_1545061235211.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well .....
IT FITSSSSSSS....WOOOHHOOOO!!! :)

i had to take it back off though to mill the snout for the 2.5 pulley and too add oil which i forgot at the storage unit. .but it clears and the hood shuts....calling it a day,going to swing by Wednesday and try to get the supercharger on for final time,measure for a belt,throw the driveshaft in and hopefully get it fired off by the weekend.HOPEFULLY! !

Cool shifter adaptor!
How come you don't use rubber mounts? They break to easy?

Yea i break ""rubber or even poly"" mounts like no other..they last about a day or 2 and i start getting a rattle..that shifter is a MGW race version, i do have a 3" extension for it but it falls perfect where my arm rest basically. .the gears are super close and smooth compared to the m5..

20170910_184211.jpg

20170910_184202.jpg

20170910_184154.jpg

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Supercharger is on for final time..also figured out the belt,its 101" 8 rib...i need to find out how gates does their part numbers for the green or blue belts...anyone know?? The belt i found that fit in stock was a duralast and was 101.3" 7rib and it was tight..

Tomorrow i plan to get the driveshaft in,the exhaust bolted back up and starter in..hopefully i dont need a 06 Mustang starter

Friday i need to trim the shifter hole,cut/replace all the IC hoses,test fit the new coil bracket/ install and double check everything. ..

I should be on schedule for starting Saturday morning. ..GETTING EXCITED

Screenshot_2017-09-13-23-24-30.png
K081000HD is the gates green belt part # and is 100 5/8" long..next would be k081020HD and its 102 15/8" long,think thats going to be too long..

Smaller or bigger idler somewhere? The 5.4 8 rib tensioner pulley will be one of the smallest off the shelf pulleys you can get.

Smaller or bigger idler somewhere? The 5.4 8 rib tensioner pulley will be one of the smallest off the shelf pulleys you can get.
I honestly think the 100 5/8" will work,we will see today. .they had it in stock.ive got all those nice expensive metco idlers on there now and hate to get ride of one..lol.also bought a new tensioner, mine the little spring clip broke that stops it from tensioning too far

It fits..its going to ""break in"" a little too im sure. .also the new tensioner is a much much better design. .
Just sexy..probably first 8 rib OHV out!!
20170914_173356.jpg
20170914_173343.jpg

The stops are cast into the mount itself on this one and the spring is much thicker and clips through the body..
20170914_172311.jpg

Can see the "spring" is bent that stops it from going to far,also the tension spring is internal. .this one was definitely shot..
20170914_172301.jpg

New driveshaft 1" shorter fits fine,it wouldve probably cleared without being shorter but fits fine now..really wished i went with a 3.5" tube but at $180 more and 7-10 days out,it just wasn't gonna work..should be fine now the trans is solid mounted, its still very very very close to the bolts in the driveshaft hoop!! Like 1/4" close...
20170914_174316.jpg

Here is older picture of hoop to show how close it is....
FB_IMG_1505437560762.jpg

Well very disappointing day..couple of issues. ..starters the manual trans wiring harness has a red/blue strip wire that loops,you need to have the harness plugged in to be able to start..the NSS or reverse plugs dont need to be plugged into anything but the harness has to be plugged in to start. .

Next for some reason the starter was making really bad noise...i pulled it and it looked like the starter gear wasnt fulling engaging. .i dont know why,but pulled plugs and turn motor over and it turns smooth as butter...so put starter back in without plugs and it turns over just fine..didnt try it with plugs again because of next issue. .........

Next issue is that the power steering pulley is about 1.5 ribs off and cause the belt to jump a rib on the crank..this is worse case because i had to mill the ps pulley to fit and it wasnt a super press fit so i put 648 locktight on it..the 648 is basically liquid metal,if you haven't used it before its great stuff BUT removing it is near impossible. .ill need to torch it to get it off and may need to start with a new pulley,its that strong of stuff..thats not the bad part though, it takes 48hrs for it to setup so cant retry starting for 48 hrs....

Lastly i blead the clutch many many times and it still feels like there is air in it..there is no bleeder,the 06 you uses vacuum to bleed it..unless that clutch just has a very weak feel to it,its definitely moving the clutch but compared to my old clutch which you needed to STAND on to press,it just dont feel right...

So wont be making my dyno tune adjust on the 22...

3 years of R&D and anticipation...just to be let down ...frustration is not the word. .ill figure it out but DAAAAAMMMMM..

I've had great success vacuum bleeding through the master on the mustang and rangers. Takes only about 60 seconds. I hate messing with the bleeder screw.

I've had great success vacuum bleeding through the master on the mustang and rangers. Takes only about 60 seconds. I hate messing with the bleeder screw.
Thats how i always bleed also...just feels like there is air still in it

It fired right up but you can hear the belt jumping ribs..then can hear the starter getting stuck..or least thats what i gathered from it..this was the very first start..

Pop the line off at the trans and let some fluid out while making sure the resivior stays full. Then try rebleeding.

I've got an extra manual trans starter if you want to try it.

I say throw a 6 rib belt on it to get it running and worry about the 8 rib stuff after break in.

Pop the line off at the trans and let some fluid out while making sure the resivior stays full. Then try rebleeding.

I've got an extra manual trans starter if you want to try it.

I say throw a 6 rib belt on it to get it running and worry about the 8 rib stuff after break in.
That might not be a bad idea..i know auto zone has that 7 rib 101.3 belt in stock..it would just cost me $40ish not to wait 48hrs..but whats that in the grand scheme of things...

The starter seemed to turn the motor over just fine after i put it back in and had plugs out...i was trying to space the rest of the pulleys,rhe ps has play in the pump..like you can pull the pulley/shaft out some but oce it starts spinning it pulls itself back in some..

Well another disappointing day....

I got the 7 rib belt and tried to adjust the ps bracket out some but need longer bolts and no where is open that has them..but the 7 rib belt worked for now..

There is still a issue with the starter,its not engaging properly. .i dont know why..also the clutch is not disengaging. .i thought there was air in it but i dont think there is now..it just seems like the slave needs to be shimmed forward some so it engages or moves the clutch sooner..so trans needs to come out..

Lastly which i called and knew i shouldnt have used is the POS rockers..there is some SERIOUS valve train noise especially coming from the passenger side..im going to pull that valve cover off and see if anything obvious but if nothing jumps out im going to switch back to stock rockers..which SUCKS because the supercharger needs to come BACK off to get the driverside valve cover off..wish i never bought these rockers and definitely not pulling heads off to get the lifters out and doubt tom would refund me anything if i cant return everything. ..

Soooooo yeaaaa

1..Trans needs to come back out..
2..Valve cover and supercharger needs to come off..
3..still need to fix the belt issuse..

POS

what brand of rockers are you using? i know the crane ones i have make noise. drives me nuts to, but after googling them, it seems like its a characteristic of them. one of those learn to live with it, or buy different ones.

what brand of rockers are you using? i know the crane ones i have make noise. drives me nuts to, but after googling them, it seems like its a characteristic of them. one of those learn to live with it, or buy different ones.
Harland 1.7 there is definitely something going on..it sounds like its the middle set on the passengers side and its missing..the driverside dont sound that bad..i could have just adjusted one or two wrong or could even be a bad lifter which i hope not because heads have to come off for that....its definitely a SMACKING sound

I blame you and Don honestly. .you guys luck has seemed to rub off on me..lol

It could be a rocker arm hitting the valve cover or rocker arm has popped off (probably not, motor would shake more). I don't think there's anything wrong with those rockers themselves since they are top of the line, but of course the setup geometry could be off.

It could be a rocker arm hitting the valve cover or rocker arm has popped off (probably not, motor would shake more)
I thought that to..bit put my hand on the cover and didnt really feel like it..i think i adjusted it wrong or something has broke..i went for a drive to try and break the rings in,forced it into gear...but when i was driving i head a pop sound and the truck started to run bad,i parked it and called it a day ..felt like a rocker slipped off the valve tip or something. .

Dont they make slave spacers?? Swear ive seen them before..the clutch feels like it doesnt even start to move the pressure plate till its about 3/4" pressed down..then you can hear it moving and the force gets harder to press...i think it needs to be shimmed closer to the pressure plate

Your clutch master might not be able to support the throw needed. How much different is one for a mustang?

Back