Leaking Motor Mount

K5OUN

Reaction score
City, State
DFW TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
22 Bronco Badlands
Hey all,

Does anyone know if the 2015 naturally aspirated engine has hydraulic motor mounts? Doing service on my Explorer this afternoon and the lower part of the upper passenger side mount motor mount is covered in what looks like a red fluid and its leaked all down the rail onto the lower control arm. Can't find anywhere else it could come from and all fluid levels are fine.

Here is a link to an image of the mount, lower half covered in the red fluid. https://ibb.co/i8wS6v

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Apparently the Escape mount is fluid filled, so it's possible. Try pushing down on it to see if it causes fluid to come out. If not, maybe axle seal, or coolant reservoir, depending on whether or not you have orange coolant.

Possibly ATF being blown out of the vent for some reason, maybe overfilled or pressure build up.

Whimsey

Indeed this was a hydraulic mount, it was leaking, and the repair is covered under the power-train warranty.

Indeed this was a hydraulic mount, it was leaking, and the repair is covered under the power-train warranty.
Thank you for reporting back on the repair.

Peter

2016 motor mount leaking everywhere

So apparently the motor mounts on these things are hydraulic. We just pulled into the driveway and there's what looks like ATF all over the driveway. And dripping from the inside of the passenger front tire area. I pop the hood and see fluid everywhere under the mount. I guess it ruptured.:dunno:

Never heard of this happening on these. It only about 22k on it. It's not it gets driven hard either.

To the dealer it goes.:rolleyes:

Pretty sure I’ve read about them leakingon here, but nothing about them rupturing like yours. :sadface:

They are hydraulic. The motormount is also extremely easy to replace.

They are hydraulic. The motormount is also extremely easy to replace.

looked like it, but the truck is under warranty still , so I'm letting them deal with it.

Poor stupid me...

I'm trying to find poly mounts for my engine and transmission.

Figured out the engine I think.

Now for the transmission.

At least I won't worry about leaking mounts!

Ford got fixed already but can't get it till Monday :(

I got my 2013 PIU (75k miles) with both engine mounts failed & bottoming-out, and the third leg of the tripod, the transmission mount, was also shot. I believe the shop indicated they were hydraulic, but there was nothing left of the suspension bushings in either mount, that's how far gone they were. Since it was creating a lot of noise and vibration that seemed like it could've been the transmission failing, I think the fleet manager just decided to decommission it rather than deal with repairs.

I don't know if it's limited to the PIU, but there was a dramatic redesign of the motor mounts. The shop I took it to thought they had received the wrong parts from the dealer, but the dealer confirmed that changes had been made and several local fleets had been ordering numerous sets of the new style mounts to replace the older ones whether they'd failed or not. The replacements look much more robust. I'd kind of like to know if the revision is applicable to the rest of the Explorer line.

My the passenger side mount on my 2016 FPIU with 38k just failed. I was surprised to see drops of oil in the garage. I had hit an animal prior and thought it might be blood. Looking under the hood, I can see it's all over that side of the engine bay. Took me a bit to figure out where it was coming from as it's not oil. Its a very dark red, but it dries up which was very confusing to me. There aren't too many fluids in a car that aren't oil based.

Lets see if the Extended Warranty covers it.

My the passenger side mount on my 2016 FPIU with 38k just failed. I was surprised to see drops of oil in the garage. I had hit an animal prior and thought it might be blood. Looking under the hood, I can see it's all over that side of the engine bay. Took me a bit to figure out where it was coming from as it's not oil. Its a very dark red, but it dries up which was very confusing to me. There aren't too many fluids in a car that aren't oil based.

Lets see if the Extended Warranty covers it.
Your Warranty Guide shows they are also covered under the 5 year, 60k mile Powertrain Warranty.

Peter

Poor stupid me...

I'm trying to find poly mounts for my engine and transmission.

Figured out the engine I think.

Now for the transmission.

At least I won't worry about leaking mounts!
@shucker1

Now I've heard it all! In the past, the Chevy freaks went to solid mounts having no rubber bonds in them (engines were jumping up and hitting the hood!), now they design in yet another leak-place! Hydraulic engine mounts! Why not support the engine all the way around with air bags?? imp

So my "updated" mount replaced under warranty has now started leaking, lasted about 20k miles (now 25k miles out of warranty). I just ordered an aftermarket off ebay for $40 it cant do much worse than the OEM's. Anyone else had multiple failures?

Aftermarket ones are worse, Ebay is known for counterfeit chinese stuff....

They have 2 yr warranty on Ford Parts, fyi.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

As I recall it’s 2 years or 12k miles, both dealers I spoke with advised I was on my own. I am sure there is some risk on the eBay parts but at this point, one I am fine accepting.

Back