• Register Today It's free!

99 sport 4x4 5.0 engine swap

irbydon32

Reaction score
City, State
liberty tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 explorer sport 4x4
hey everyone i have a 99 sport 4x4 with the 4.0 ohv and i want to put the 5.0 into it is does anyone know what all would be involed in doing this. it is a auto and i want to make this thing a real badass 4x4 with the 5.0 in it instead of the 4.0 ohv that is in it. i would really like to know if it is even worth doing

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Would all depend on how deep into badass you want to go and what that means to you.

My only regret in my own 5.0 swap was in doing it much earlier. But, my effort was for a daily driver/work truck not a high perf build. So my total swap was well under $1000 and only off the road for a week.

A higher cost, higher performance off road build could cost a lot more, costs only you can judge as worth it or not.

Would all depend on how deep into badass you want to go and what that means to you.

My only regret in my own 5.0 swap was in doing it much earlier. But, my effort was for a daily driver/work truck not a high perf build. So my total swap was well under $1000 and only off the road for a week.

A higher cost, higher performance off road build could cost a lot more, costs only you can judge as worth it or not.

no joke either. if i didnt buy headers for mine, it would have been almost free after selling of parts from the donor, then scrapping it. as well as the performance thing. yea. that adds up fast. then the tuning part starts. like the old saying goes, speed is a matter of cost. how fast do you want to go.
if your just doing a simple swap just because you want a v8 and your old motor/trains is dying, sure i would say go for it. but if your doing it to hotrod it up, you might want to read through my thread or another member named "dono"'s thread and you will see how much frustration you might be looking at.
not trying to sway you away, but just a fore warning

the main reason for the swap besides the badass part is for the extra power i will need for when i do the lift im going to do on it cause i was one of the people in texas that got flooded in due to harvey and i never want that to be the dam case

Back