1993 Explorer XLT - Garaged for ten years | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1993 Explorer XLT - Garaged for ten years

broots

Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Explorer XLT
I’m new to the forum and reading all the experiences here has been super helpful.

Short Version - What do you think of the engine sounds in these videos:

Just inherited a 1993 Explorer XLT and have had a heck of a time trying to get running. I live in New York and the Explorer sat in my Grandparent’s garage in Missouri for the last ten years. Family recommended a local mechanic who did a lot of work:
  • replaced brake pads, hoses, and calipers,
  • oil change, new oil filter
  • new tires
  • replaced a leaking rear main seal, PCV valve, and front pump gasket
  • new control arm bushing
  • new exhaust gasket and replaced a rusted out muffler assembly
  • new temp sender
  • new front shocks
Took a couple of weeks to get it back from the shop but once it was I set out to drive from MO back home to NY. Ran great initially. Made it 100 miles before seeing smoke. Pulled over with a bad oil leak and after turning off the ignition a no crank no start situation. Got a tow to a nearby shop that pinpointed a faulty neutral safety switch and did some more work:
  • replaced neutral safety switch
  • replaced oil pan gasket leaking out the rear
These folks also suggested running regular oil rather than the synthetic the first shop put in so we switched over the Castrol GTX.

Got on the road again and after 50 miles started seeing more smoke. Pulled over again with another bad leak and another no crank no start. With all the mechanics in the area closed for the weekend got a tow back to where I started and am wondering what to do next? Took a short video of the engine after the second leak - first video above.

Am able to start the engine now by putting the ignition in start and laying a screwdriver across the terminals on the starter solenoid at the left side of the engine compartment. Shot another video of it running - second video above.

Possible the main bearings on the crank are worn out? At this point should I be thinking about a new engine?

Appreciate any input.
-b

it does not sound like any hammering in the bottom to me . you need to replace the solenoid , that should get it to crank . the slight ticking sound i here might be the rocker arms . sitting is really hard on gaskets .

it does not sound like any hammering in the bottom to me . you need to replace the solenoid , that should get it to crank . the slight ticking sound i here might be the rocker arms . sitting is really hard on gaskets .

Thanks for your thoughts. Turns out the neutral safety switch was fried, had bent and melted. Any idea what would cause this? It was a new one that had just been installed.

Am thinking based on the smoke in the first video I should go ahead and replace the valve cover gaskets.

Sounds like the new one might have not been installed right . Going to give you some advice . Id replace the lower intake manifold gasket , new o rings on injectors , upper intake gasket , valve covers , new thermostat , water pump , belts & hoses . then your top end will be set for a long time . if yopu had the extra 200 i would say put new rocker arms & push rods on it & the ticking will go away . these explorers will go 300,000 , 400,000 or even 500,000 miles if taken care of . keep the a4ld transmission cool . if it doesnt have a trans cooler on it I would put one on it . . thats the weakest thing on these explorers . You keep me posted & i will help you all i can

Back