M90 rebuild (rudy) | Page 51 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

M90 rebuild (rudy)

well figured i would start a new thread.just a quick background.did the whole build on my explorer but built it using stock head gaskets and head bolts.did it really as a safety net and i just couldnt afford head studs at the time.well to say the least i blew the head gaskets off from it wile i was in the mountains on a forum trip about two years later.

i picked up a 1994 ranger,its got the 4.0 OHV and is a 5 speed 2wd.the plan is to pull the motor out of the explorer and rebuild it.

this thread will basically cover the rebuild and build up of the new ranger.it will basically end up as a street race truck.ive named it Rudy:D:D so let the fun begin.
:burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout:

UPDATE
new motor specs
BORE: 4" JE asymmetrical pistons (custom over bore)

20141031_163839_zpso5ifzafx.jpg

RODS: 6.058 Manley (longer rod)
20140226_134243_zpsdapxouhk.jpg

VALVES: IN-1.8 EX-1.5 Manley heavy duty (.150 over)
20160527_114556_zpsiohyyelp.jpg

20140515_162402_zpsftg0qlcd.jpg

20160313_161946_zpswgleqayt.jpg

20160318_160734_zpsxxxpuld8.jpg

Transmission:T5 hybrid from a 2006 Mustang and 93 Fox
HEADS: 93TM HEAVILY ported with custom brass guides and copper gaskets/O-ringed with ARP studs
CAM: 422 Comp cams with 988 springs and Toms custom lifters,push rods and 1.7 roller rockers
Complete blueprint and balanced internals
GM M90 supercharged with one 1" intercooler plates with ASP 8 rib belt conversion. .
pushing 16 lbs of boost with small shot of NOS
Running on E50
Dyno tuned by Dyno Tune Performance outa Virginia using SCT

old thread and pic
3800 M90 Build
ported and polished gm 3800 gen 2 m90
Water to air intercooled
port matched 76mm inlet and intake tube
mustang 75mm race tb
90mm maf
36lb injectors
255 fuel pump
sct 5bank dyno tuned
2.7" pulley 10lbs of boost!!;)
2012-06-09201057.jpg

2012-06-09201139-1.jpg

2012-06-09201207.jpg

and the new 1994 ranger 4.0 OHV 5 speed 2WD with 115,000 miles on it.o and i only paid $1,000 for it:shifty_ey
RUDY
IMG952013032295172932_zps77585c66.jpg

FB_IMG_1545061235211.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No major running issues so far..i am getting alot of heat soak from the charger,even though i haven't gotten in to boost at all..its running pretty warm,about 150* after charger..it stays around that temp after awile of driving,i am spinning the piss outa this charger..this makes me very nervous for wot boost pulls..

Ive ordered a fan for my front mount cooler hoping that will help,think i may need to add a reservoir tank..

I do have a slight vibration which im pretty sure is my pinion angle,im gonna call the driveshaft shop and see if they can check my angles and double check the balance on the shaft..he did not balance it,said ""they come out within spec but if i have issues bring it back and he will balance to a tighter spec"" welllllll should've done that first but also can very well be my angles,i did drop the trans about a inch with the solid mount..

Tuner got back to me and my dyno adjust is friday the 13th.!!! Yeaaaa i know!! Still got about 200 miles to go and I'll be changing from e50 to e85 before the dyno in hopes of helping with temps..

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Can't wait to see some dyno numbers

Can't wait to see some dyno numbers
Me either. .think they are gonna be little lower than what i was anticipating..i know not running the roller rockers i gave up a pretty substantial amount of lift and horsepower..

Also i anticipated this new cooler keeping it much cooler or should say didnt think i would see such a huge jump in temps from over spinng this thing,so thats going to equal probably less timing than im currently running. .but idk going to e85 should help,there is people in Australia that are running this same pulley combo seeing 20ish lbs,over 280* IAT,with no intercooler and on e85...they are crazy down there tho!!

Ill be happy in the 400s on boost alone but might be alot to ask now,we shall see..the big numbers are going to come from nitrous. .that will lower my temps and ill make huge power off that..im also not going to spray this motor till my aviator is fixed and im also not releasing those numbers..

Vibrations with completely solid mounts? How could that be? Haha

Vibrations with completely solid mounts? How could that be? Haha
Bahahahaha o yea the truck rocks like crazy now!! But this vibration is drivetrain related for sure..lol

Dnyo day has changed to this Thursday the 12 at 9:30..he has to go out of town Friday. .

Dont think my IC radiator fan will be in time to install it though and i still got about 200 miles for clutch to break in

Better get driving then! lol
Good luck on dyno day!

Truck is at the drives shaft shop..Tranny is 3* off and the drives shaft is WAAYYY out a balance. .

not to happy about drives shaft as the guy who made it was paid to balance it and didnt..

Hopefully this fixes this issue. ..75miles to go!!

Well that fixed it to the cost of $289!!!! NOT HAPPY...

Changed oil,looked good no flakes or anything...stuck some BR6EF plugs in and double checked everything. .40miles to go..

got a feeling when I go back for the nitrous tune and have my fan on my IC I'll make much more power but we will see...

WISH ME LUCK!!!

I do think all these struggles will be well worth it in the end once you really get it running. Good luck!

Good luck on the dyno day!

Well that didn't go good....I've got fuel issue, we are pretty sure it's the regulator. .the pressure jumps around and doesn't maintain pressure at wot..

We did 3 pulls and had to shut it down at 4400..at about 3300 it would just start leaning out and kept getting worse no matter what we tried,then we looked at the gauge for last pull and could tell the psi is messed up..

He also suggest I swap pump to a newer pump,change the sock and the main filter..as well as the regulator. .

But it did make 415 lbs of tq around 3500-4000 and 304 rwhp in same range @13 psi before it started leaning out and going to crap....still has 8 psi and another 3,000 rpms left, so numbers should climb ALOT...he guessed it will make low/mid 400s rwhp and low 500s for tq once it's all sorted out

Those numbers sound real promising!
Get that fuel starvation problem fixed!

It's not really starving, the regulator doesn't consistently go to what it's set at..if you set the base pressure to say 60 psi it will sometimes be 60 sometimes be 70,sometimes be 80,sometimes be 43...it also isn't reacting from its boost reference...my stock fpr is keeping the pressure from dropping below stock,think 42psi at idle..but the aftermarket one is making the pressure jump all over the place when no rpm change,like at idle..the diaphragm is bad in it,its not e85 safe..

The problem with the stock one is its vacuum reference, not boost..so it's not increasing fuel after vacuum hits 0 and I start loosing fuel pressure when boost comes in..this is where the aftermarket should increase pressure or keep it pretty close to a constant psi..

He only wants me to change pump,sock and filter because it's been probably 5 years of ethanol running through it,as a precautionary safety net..said my choice but recommends it

I've ordered a new 340lph TRE pump,Fuelab pressure regulator and a new main filter..i had a 300lph pump so this one is gonna flow little more..

Hopefully this is last hiccup!! I got babies to feed!!

Hey you have the professional products 10300 filter also right?? Think you was the one who recommended it for me..

Ive done some more research and it uses a paper filter,many have said its not e85 safe..i guess ill be giving them a call..its been discontinued so took me forever even to find one..part #10320 or same filter a BG500 uses

Not me, don't have that filter.
I am running stock filters on all three trucks.

Do you think you might need a voltage driver for the pump? Just for conversation sake, could the PCM output volatge be too low for what you need to maintain pressure?

Not me, don't have that filter.
I am running stock filters on all three trucks.
O crap..hmm wonder who it was..lol guess didnt really matter was just trying to share that the filter isnt made anymore and isnt e85 safe..lol

Think ill be switching to a different filter setup with a ss mesh thats e85 safe

Do you think you might need a voltage driver for the pump? Just for conversation sake, could the PCM output volatge be too low for what you need to maintain pressure?
I dont think so,even with my old pump at 300lph and -6an lines it should support my needs..

We honestly think its the regulator but more i dig into it, the more parts i find that were once considered ethanol safe, are not any longer..

The old TRE 300lph pump is but ive already replaced the ss lines i had with PTFE ones,they LITERALLY melted and gas was coming out throught the SS sheathing..i should've looked at filter and regulator then also...only thing that probably prevented issues sooner was fact i was running e50..im on e85 now,was the only thing we could really tune for yesterday. .

Back