Ford offers free repairs to 1.4 Million Explorers - Exhaust | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ford offers free repairs to 1.4 Million Explorers - Exhaust

This seems to keep coming up as people wondering if they should or have to do this.

Keep in mind, at this point at least, this is not a recall. This is a fully optional customer satisfaction program that is available to you as an Explorer owner. Ford is quite happy not to pay the labor to tear apart your vehicle to repair a problem that doesn't exist. If you feel comfortable that your car is safe, by all means just enjoy the drive and let this one just sit in your back pocket.

The underlying work is extremely invasive to the back end of the vehicle. And mine caught more than a few scratches on re-assembly that now have to be fixed, not to mention the chance of new squeaks, rattles, and other annoyances.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Why , dont they like meee?!?! :( They can buy back vehicles that they cant fix and have tried repeatedly if its a safety recall, it would be a last resort on a vehicle if they cant find the issue and its always in for repairs, especially if its under warranty. I'm saying if they cant fix it this time around its something that might happen, they can do whatever they want, like VW did, buy the cars back, fix them and resell them.

They will never, and I mean NEVER buy a car back from you. This should be a two step thing, for everyone who insists they don't have a problem and refuse to have it done. This should include a CO monitor that plugs in, and logs data. That way if you have higher levels and don't get it addressed, it's YOUR deal.

This isn't a recall. Best of luck trying to get Ford to make it right with anything other than band aid fixes. I stand by my statement. They will not be buying your Explorer back.

I definitely have the rotten eggs / sulfur smell after hard acceleration. As far as CO2, I have no idea.

My plan is to have this repair / TSB done to my Sport early next year, after the dealer staff has had a chance to perform the TSB multiple times and has 'practiced hands' to do mine smoothly and hopefully flawlessly.

If you can smell rotten eggs, you surely have elevated CO levels.

I read somewhere about how Ford is modifying the exhaust outlets to point down or something on the theory that the exhaust pipe tips are to close to the rear of the bumper and gases are getting trapped in there at deceleration.

I wonder how hard it would be to temporarily attach a 2 foot straight extension to the end of the tailpipes and go for a test drive and see if the rotten eggs smell has gone away.

there was an old TSB related to this i believe, early last year ford dealer performed some repairs on mine like modifying the exhaust tip to point downward and some resealing stuff (foamlike), i could say the smells was reduce but not completely gone. hope they found new solution to this issue
1f91e.png

I had the TSB done and it really didn't fix it.. Maybe it's slightly better but it still happens with re-circulatory on.

Lemon law if under warranty in the U.S would apply sooner or later then they would have to buy it back if not repaired for same issue.

http://www.lemonlawusa.com/

"While in most states as a general rule, if a vehicle continues to have a defect within the warranty period even after it has been repaired four or more times or has been out of service at a dealership for thirty days or more, and the problem substantially impairs its use, value or safety, then the vehicle is considered to be a Lemon. In most states, it is then up to the consumer to decide whether he or she wants a refund of money and to give back the vehicle or whether he or she wants a replacement vehicle."

Yes. But you'd have to prove it was unsafe. You'd need a lawyer and to force them to do it, they would never own up to it, and just buy it back.

Yes. But you'd have to prove it was unsafe. You'd need a lawyer and to force them to do it, they would never own up to it, and just buy it back.

No attorney needed for lemon law

they kinda had to do something like this instead of verifying every complaint and only applying it to certain vehicles and annoying people, then it was all over the news. Next step is buy back if they still cant get the levels down:fart::whitenavajo:.

Is it me or does every generation of Exploder have some sort of major flaw related to it.:dunno:. Best one I've ever had was my 5.0 Exploder for ease of repair and reliability.
Hello my name is Gabriel and I'm a journalist. I was wondering you would have time to talk to me about the exhaust recall and if you can explain your comments on the flaws of the generations of Explorers since your 5.0? Thank you.

I definitely have the rotten eggs / sulfur smell after hard acceleration. As far as CO2, I have no idea.

My plan is to have this repair / TSB done to my Sport early next year, after the dealer staff has had a chance to perform the TSB multiple times and has 'practiced hands' to do mine smoothly and hopefully flawlessly.

good idea I will do likewise.

“Ford said its investigation has not found "carbon monoxide levels that exceed what people are exposed to every day" in the 1.4 million civilian vehicles. There is no U.S. government standard for in-vehicle carbon monoxide levels. Ford says it believes the vehicles are safe and is making the offer, which it is not classifying as a recall, in response to customer concerns.”

I’m confused why Ford says “it believes the vehicles are safe” vs saying “the vehicles are safe." Perhaps this is how it has to be written per the legal review.

“The second largest U.S. automaker said starting November 1, dealers will reprogram the air conditioner, replace the liftgate drain valves and inspect sealing of the rear of the vehicle. The fix covers about 1.3 million U.S. vehicles and about 100,000 in Canada and Mexico.”

Interesting that the air conditioner is being reprogrammed, maybe it's being programmed to go off of recirculate in certain conditions in an effort to let outside air in to dilute the exhaust gases should they enter the cabin.

“Ford declined to comment on the potential financial impact of the service offer that will last through the end of 2018.”

I’ll say it again, some owners will never smell the exhaust in the cabin due to how they drive their Explorers or perhaps they own an Explorer that is tightly sealed. Many owners will not drive them at WOT and/or having the ventilation system on recirculate at the same time, unless they encounter an emergency situation that is more than likely very short term in nature.

Also, how will the notification process work, word of mouth or will post cards be sent to all affected fifth generation Explorer owners.

“The U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) in July upgraded and expanded a probe into 1.33 million Ford Explorer SUVs over reports of exhaust odors in vehicle compartments and exposure to carbon monoxide.

Police agencies have reported two crashes that may be linked to carbon monoxide exposure and a third incident involving injuries related to carbon monoxide exposure.

NHTSA said it is evaluating preliminary testing that suggests carbon monoxide levels may be elevated in certain driving scenarios.”

Is the NHTSA investigation/probe complete or did Ford make this offer before the investigation/probe has been completed? Also, are there two different probes going on at once, one for the civilian Explorer owners and one for the police vehicles or is it one overall probe for all fifth generation Explorers?

“The second largest U.S. automaker said starting November 1, dealers will reprogram the air conditioner, replace the liftgate drain valves and inspect sealing of the rear of the vehicle. The fix covers about 1.3 million U.S. vehicles and about 100,000 in Canada and Mexico.”

Interesting that the air conditioner is being reprogrammed, maybe it's being programmed to go off of recirculate in certain conditions in an effort to let outside air in to dilute the exhaust gases should they enter the cabin.

The HVAC updated strategy is to command the recirculation door open during hard accelerations.

Also, how will the notification process work, word of mouth or will post cards be sent to all affected fifth generation Explorer owners.

Customers can take their vehicles, regardless of mileage or warranty status, to a Ford dealer to have this service performed, starting Nov. 1, 2017 through Dec. 31, 2018. Customer mailings will begin the week of Nov. 13, 2017, and be completed by Dec. 22, 2017. Customers with questions also can call a dedicated hotline at 888-260-5575.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/ford-e...CBSNews.com)&utm_content=Yahoo+Search+Results

If you can smell rotten eggs, you surely have elevated CO levels.

A rotten egg smell comes from sulfur compounds, carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless gas. Can you have both, sure, but I'd be more concerned with H2S with a rotten egg smell than i would be with CO.

No problem yet on regular a/c, but get the smell with defroster mode. Not taking any chances and having service done. Also, when car is to be sold, best to have a record of any special service done, recall or not.

I would invest in a detector and make sure you have exhaust entering, but I would still talk with a Ford dealer. I personally would not want the interior of my vehicle taken apart if that's what it came to if there is no leak. As far as I'm concerned if I can smell anything out of the ordinary besides the "new car smell" I would not want it, not normal, even if its a "safe" smell. Say it smelled like rotting cabbage:laugh:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back