Rust on exhaust of 2017 Ford Explorer XLT Sport Appearance Package | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rust on exhaust of 2017 Ford Explorer XLT Sport Appearance Package

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 XLT Sport App Pkg
Hi,

Can anyone tell me if this is normal? I bought my 2017 Explorer brand new about a year ago. The car is garaged both at home and at work. I live in Southern California so I don't have exposure to rain, snow, ice, etc. I typically walk to work so I have few miles on the car (about 7,500 miles in over a year time period).

I noticed yesterday that rust is starting to form around the weld on the exhaust pipes. I'm not too happy about this because I imagine it's only going to get worse. Is this something that I should be contacting the dealership about? It seems like this shouldn't happen.

Thanks in advance for your comments. I look forward to hearing from you.

Chris

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sorry -- For some reason I am unable to upload the photos. Any advice? Thanks.

Chris
Welcome to the Forum Chris.:wave:
If you take out a $20 Elite membership you can post directly from your device using the Forum's features and the photos will be saved to the forum servers. Otherwise you will have to use a 3rd party hosting site to link to but be aware that those pictures are not saved here and could disappear like the ones that were linked to Photobucket.
As for the rust I believe that is perfectly normal. Some Explorers have come off the delivery transports with some rust on them.

Peter

If you take it to a dealer for exhaust rust, you'll get laughed at.

Exhaust pipes rust. Its a fact of life. If it's more than surface rust, to the point that the metal is compromised, then yea, I'd suspect something was wrong.

In case you haven't been up-to-date, there was a major recall announcement for explorer exhausts, so if you're still concerned about it, mention it when you're in for the recall, and they'll let you know if it's anything more than normal surface rust. Ford has announced a non-recall service campaign for civilian explorers similar to the repairs done on PIUs. It's free to owners, but it's not a recall.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/mone...ress-explorer-exhaust-gas-concerns/763909001/

Exhaust pipes rust. Its a fact of life. If it's more than surface rust, to the point that the metal is compromised, then yea, I'd suspect something was wrong.

In case you haven't been up-to-date, there was a major recall announcement for explorer exhausts, so if you're still concerned about it, mention it when you're in for the recall, and they'll let you know if it's anything more than normal surface rust.

What recall?

In case you haven't been up-to-date, there was a major recall announcement for explorer exhausts, so if you're still concerned about it, mention it when you're in for the recall, and they'll let you know if it's anything more than normal surface rust.

There is no recall, please don't post info like that which will just start getting the internet buzzing about crap that doesn't exist.

What recall?
As blwnsmoke posted, there is no recall. I think what the member was alluding to was Ford's latest announcement about the exhaust smell fix.

Peter

Short trips will actually accelerate exhaust rusting.

What recall?

There is no recall, please don't post info like that which will just start getting the internet buzzing about crap that doesn't exist.

As blwnsmoke posted, there is no recall. I think what the member was alluding to was Ford's latest announcement about the exhaust smell fix.

Peter
I was referring to this article: https://www.usatoday.com/story/mone...ress-explorer-exhaust-gas-concerns/763909001/

....and I missed the part that said it wasn't a recall. My Bad.

Back