My Explorer build. | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My Explorer build.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I looked that up im surprised that is even a code probably designed to scare people into taking it in and pay $100 for a scan at the dealer haha.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Super easy to get to on the V8. You'll probably find the sensor shattered inside and stuck to the spinning vane.

You'll see it behind/under the coil packs

Ok Question, How can I tell what heads I have on my Engine? I have heard about GT40 heads and some other ones reading in this forum. Also What is the Difference? So far I am super happy with my Ex. She fires up Right a way and runs like crazy. The only issue I have is My drivers door will not unlock all the time and also when I open Drivers door Dome lights do not come on. Not really a big deal but it just does not happen on Drivers door. All other doors open and lights come on. Also Need to replace radio. Some time drivers door speaker works and sometimes it does not. All good about the radio just need to get the money for one I will like.

Thank you in advance all who put in there 2 cents :)

Well this weekend I was able to get out and hit the Simple trails with my Explorer and my Wife with her F-150. Both did awesome have a couple pics of my explorer flexing.
Out on the trail (Medium).jpg

Out on the trail 01 (Medium).jpg

Out on the trail 02 (Medium).jpg

Out on the trail 03 (Medium).jpg

Considering that she is just AWD I am very happy with her. Climbed hills with out even putting up a sweat. Granted I did not climb anything really hard but She just pulled up with no issues. She has a lot of power in her and can not wait to get the new transfer case installed.

Here are some more pictures of where we went. Was a good day to be in the mountains.

This is my Son (in red hoody) and his best friend next to a BIG rock
Andrew and Shaughn (Medium).jpg

My Explorer Butt Picture :)
My Explorer (Medium).jpg

My Son
My Little me (Medium).jpg

An Over look on Rampart Range road looking over Colorado Springs.
At a lookout (Medium).jpg

Was a good day. Might have to do this again with other explorers :)

Ok Question, How can I tell what heads I have on my Engine? I have heard about GT40 heads and some other ones reading in this forum. Also What is the Difference? So far I am super happy with my Ex. She fires up Right a way and runs like crazy. The only issue I have is My drivers door will not unlock all the time and also when I open Drivers door Dome lights do not come on. Not really a big deal but it just does not happen on Drivers door. All other doors open and lights come on. Also Need to replace radio. Some time drivers door speaker works and sometimes it does not. All good about the radio just need to get the money for one I will like.

Thank you in advance all who put in there 2 cents :)

I would bet the previous owner unplugged the dome light switch wires from the driver door latch. A replacement latch "should" fix both issues.
If you have external egr with an egr tube and dpfe sensor, you have the gt40- p heads. Look for the egr tube on the passenger side exhaust manifold

I would bet the previous owner unplugged the dome light switch wires from the driver door latch. A replacement latch "should" fix both issues.
If you have external egr with an egr tube and dpfe sensor, you have the gt40- p heads. Look for the egr tube on the passenger side exhaust manifold

I think I will check it out tonight. Thank you Turdle.

If you have external egr with an egr tube and dpfe sensor, you have the gt40- p heads. Look for the egr tube on the passenger side exhaust manifold[/QUOTE]

Ok found out I have GT40P heads. Saw marking showing GTP on the side of my head. So which set is better? Or does it matter?

The P's are the updated heads. Spark plug placement can be an issue with them interfering with the exhaust manifold though.

Don't have an Update for now. In the Process of buying a new home. BUT I do have a question.

When I first start her up she sounds like she has an exhaust leak. But after a bit like less then a mile maybe a block or so it is gone and sounds normal. Is that normal?

I also got a Cam position sensor to put in as soon as it comes in. :) Hopefully that will kill the Engine light.

Your passenger side exhaust manifold is cracked/and or the EGR tube.

Well that is not a good thing to hear :-( Guess I will check it out this Saturday.

I could be wrong. You might not even have th prone tubular manifolds. Mine sounded like a ticking, and would be gone as soon as the exhaust warmed up. Very common. Most of the 5.0s I looked at on dealer lots had the cracked manifold.

I have the GT40P Heads so I will check it out Saturday. I am so hoping it is not the Manifold. But if it is All good will just get another one and get it replaced. I like my Explorer way to much. I like how it feels and drives.

Here is my 97 Explorer 5.0. Right now she is stock minus the after market radio :) My plans are to get 35" tires under her. With a SAS and SOA. As for now will get a TT done and an add a leaf or Shackle and get at a minimum 33's to do some minor trails. I had a 92 and she was great. This one here I have had for about a month. Bought her for $250 and found $1.00 in change. So bought her for $249. I already have a Dana 30 for the front just need to get fundage and more parts then the undertaking will commence.
View attachment 150970

View attachment 150971

The manifold isn't THAT bad, I've pulled a few used ones before I failed finding a good one, the inner collector bolt is a B**CH, I gotta do mine, it sounds like open manifolds, mine's got the cast iron manifolds so I'm not sure exactly why I've got an issue but I guess that's how things work. As for loving how it drives, that's why I have two, they're both a total blast, people don't get why I'd drive one that atm looks like it's out the ghetto and sounds it, but who cares? Lol, I have 2 12s in mine atm for a slight thump, makes it extra fun.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah I have 2 of them also. My daughters 97 Sport but has the 4.0 and Mine. They both are gonna be good trail and daily drivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back