Explorer spark plugs replacement | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer spark plugs replacement

Here is my Sport engine compartment...5 of 6 are not so complicated (seems to me)...

So which one was the complicated one, and how did you do with your change?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've read the other threads on this subject, but still have questions.
How difficult are the three rear plugs to change?
Any special tools needed (other than a good spark socket)?
Can a quarter inch air ratchet be used to remove the plugs once they are broken free?
Should dielectric grease be used when installing the new plugs?

Thanks

Yes, it is also my next project...but the rear bank is difficult...may be...

I use ceramid not copper grease...

I've read the other threads on this subject, but still have questions.
How difficult are the three rear plugs to change?
Any special tools needed (other than a good spark socket)?
Can a quarter inch air ratchet be used to remove the plugs once they are broken free?
Should dielectric grease be used when installing the new plugs?

Thanks
Your thread has been merged with this one on the same issue.

Let us know how your project turns out. Simply put, looking at what it takes to change the spark plugs and water pump, this is not an easy engine to work on. Ford will do well with service revenue for this generation of Explorer.

Did the plugs last week, cleaned the throttle body and changed the pcv while I was about it. Took me about 2 hours and $50. in parts, got all the parts from Amazon as well. I had 80,000 miles when this was done and the removed plug gaps measured at .080 so they were way worn. I watched a couple of youtube videos before I did it and it went nice and smooth, saved $350 for 2 hours of my time.

Does anyone have step-by-step instructions on how to replace spark plugs on a 2014 Explorer Sport. I have 95k and a shop wants $430 to replace them. I've done a lot of work on cars/SUV's and no way I'm paying that much. The front 3 are simple. The rear center is simple. The other two have components in the way. Iridium Motorcraft plugs are pre-gapped. Who has done this and can fill me in? I also want to clean the throttle body.

Does anyone have step-by-step instructions on how to replace spark plugs on a 2014 Explorer Sport. I have 95k and a shop wants $430 to replace them. I've done a lot of work on cars/SUV's and no way I'm paying that much. The front 3 are simple. The rear center is simple. The other two have components in the way. Iridium Motorcraft plugs are pre-gapped. Who has done this and can fill me in? I also want to clean the throttle body.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I see you found the existing thread on this topic. Good luck.

Peter

new to explorer forums (2013 limited for the wife)...spend all my time on audizine.

most of the responses here are kind of crazy.....why are you changing, why don't you mention your mileage, why.... what the heck....ask a question and see if someone can help with some info.

Per owners manual...

3.5L NA - gap is 0.049-0.053
3.5L Eco - gap is 0.033-0.037
2.0L Eco - gap is 0.027-0.031

I agree with you mcpcartier. If I have a question or need help I would prefer an answer to question. Not the third degree.

crrobbins

I agree with you mcpcartier. If I have a question or need help I would prefer an answer to question. Not the third degree.

crrobbins
Follow up questions are usually asked to get a better understanding of the issue as several factors may be involved. It goes to show that a member(s) is concerned enough to try and narrow down the problem. I find myself doing the same thing at times to try and get more specific info on the posted issue.

Peter

Can anyone clarify the cylinder order on a 2014 Sport? I can't find a simple diagram for the 3.5l EB anywhere. Not sure what the big secret is. Thanks

Thanks. I thought it was

But that hasn't solved the problem.
Changed all the plugs and the #6 Coil but it is still misfiring.
From what I read in different areas, sounds like an injector problem.
Going to take it in tomorrow as I don't have time to keep messing with it right now.

I have 182k on my 13 explorer sport needs a tune up. New plugs hopefully doesn't need coils yet. But drives fine till u hammer down an it sputters and jolts misfire on cylinder 2. Gonna start with plugs but which plugs should I run?

Ford may recommend that ungodly interval but think of this. Do you really want to be trying to remove a spark plug that has been in an engine for 100K miles? Just because they say they CAN be replaced at such a high mileage doesn't mean they should if nothing else to get the plugs from seizing and or breaking off in the head. I did my Taurus Plugs at 25K and Expedition at 72K. Yes I know it might cost me some coin but I plan on removing and at minimum inspecting at max 50K miles. If they are as difficult as they look and sound probably replace.

Chan
I have 182k on my 13 explorer sport needs a tune up. New plugs hopefully doesn't need coils yet. But drives fine till u hammer down an it sputters and jolts misfire on cylinder 2. Gonna start with plugs but which plugs should I run?
Changed plugs and intake gaskets on wire’s 2013 XLT at 120000 mi. The old plugs came out no problems. I used Champion 7975 plugs. Checked gaps on plugs and all six were gapped at right distance out of the boxes. It is running great so far. Currently have about 130000 miles on it. Purchased plugs and gaskets from Rock Auto.

crrobbins

Chan

Changed plugs and intake gaskets on wire’s 2013 XLT at 120000 mi. The old plugs came out no problems. I used Champion 7975 plugs. Checked gaps on plugs and all six were gapped at right distance out of the boxes. It is running great so far. Currently have about 130000 miles on it. Purchased plugs and gaskets from Rock Auto.

crrobbins
I have the 3.5l not EB. Just noticed you have the Sport. Probably not same plug.

crrobbins

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
If the original plugs got you this far, why not stick with the OEM ones?

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

there are always options and by the one one of those companies makes the motorcraft plugs. Back in the day it used to be AutoLite but I know they change from time to time. ON an GM product I quickly recommend buying the slightly cheaper NGK plugs as they are the maker of the delco ones. But I also recommend Champion plugs on the LS engines because I know they work well in racecars.

On a ford product I don't know who the OEM is - but I bet it's out on the web somewhere. regardless you only need 6 of them so if they are 6 a piece or 8 a piece it's not that expensive.

Coils honestly shouldn't need replacing when you replace plugs since all ford engines are coil on plug design these days (well theo ones on the exporer are). When they die you will get a code.

I would say only use a platinum or iridium plug on your exchange due to long life. And yes out past 130K miles, or 5 years you probably do need to take them out. As far as them coming out easily - with modern AL heads - and modern chrome coated plugs and the like I've not heard of people having issues with them unlike back in say the late 90's. I plan on doing plugs on my explorer when it turns 5 years old or 120K miles depending.

Why - because year 5 or 120K miles will be when it gets new coolant, new belts, maybe new hoses, AC recharge, and it's second brake fluid flush. So I'm going to be working on it a while regardless.

Back