Hood Struts ?? | Page 11 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hood Struts ??

Still awaiting MY parcel / shipping to Germany needs 2...3 weeks...

Redline's shop is in Michigan, about a 2 hour drive from me. :)

I feel the way you do when ordering stuff from Amazon and it ships from China. 3-4 weeks. I would pay 2x as much for something sourced here so I can get it in a few days.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No, no, this parcel comes direct from Redline-Tuning US...Andreas sent me a mail, that this item is in stock, same day ordered from Redline...

Just installed mine today. All went well except had a HELL of a time getting the passenger side bottom clip to snap onto the ball. Hood works nicely with them. Drivers side seems a little loose I can wiggle the entire assembly but not the passenger side. I can't pull any of the clips off any of the balls so I assume it's as tight as it gets.

I had trouble getting the passenger-side bottom clip to snap in. When I took a look at it, I did not see a clip. I called Redline and Andreas sent me a new bottom attachment which I received today. When I took the old one off I realized the clip was not gone, it was just smashed in so badly that I could not use it.
I got the bottom part installed but I did it differently, I removed the bracket, snapped the bottom attachment onto it just pushing them together with my hands, I screwed the attachment back onto the piston then pushed the bracket back into place and replaced the nuts.

I got it ! Installed it and it works fine and looks great !

Just an update, it's been 4 months with the struts installed and I've been under the hood quite a bit since the install, they are holding up nicely. I know it's still early, but they appear to work well thus far.

Well I've had these installed for 4+ months now and the're outstanding! One of the best improvements you can make to your Explorer!

I don't know why but it is still showing my 2015 Sport. That vehicle is no more, lost to a t-bone crash. The struts I am referring to are on my 2017 Sport...

.......I don't know why but it is still showing my 2015 Sport. That vehicle is no more, lost to a t-bone crash. The struts I am referring to are on my 2017 Sport...
Your profile still shows;
Year, Model & Trim Level: 2015 Explorer Sport

Peter

Glad to see these kits going in to service. I hadn't picked one up yet since I've left my Explorer 100% stock (thanks to a long-term ESP plan) and don't get under the hood much. Since they were a fantastic addition to my Cobra, might just go ahead and order these anyway.

Merry Christmas ALL!!!! I just ordered my from Redline on Thursday, Shipped on Friday and cannot wait to install.. I had the prop rod.. argh.. it works but don't like it.

For those of you who did install do I have to drill for the top mount portion that connects to the hood? Did you leave your prop rod there or take it off completely?

Merry Christmas ALL!!!! I just ordered my from Redline on Thursday, Shipped on Friday and cannot wait to install.. I had the prop rod.. argh.. it works but don't like it.

For those of you who did install do I have to drill for the top mount portion that connects to the hood? Did you leave your prop rod there or take it off completely?
I removed mine...

Glad to see these kits going in to service. I hadn't picked one up yet since I've left my Explorer 100% stock (thanks to a long-term ESP plan) and don't get under the hood much. Since they were a fantastic addition to my Cobra, might just go ahead and order these anyway.
Only work I do under my hood is check fluid levels and clean (a clean engine runs cooler and looks cooler :) )

Just received one of these hood strut kits and looking forward to installing it tomorrow so I no longer need to use the archaic prop rod. ;-)

I just did the Redline Tuning hood strut. I did not remove the prop rod but will keep in place. I guess if you were at a event it could provide back up.

One slight twist to the direction and I can say it worked for me but maybe not everyone.

I inserted the ball stud on the bracket BEFORE installing to the strut tower. I got more leverage this way then slowly worked the bracket holes over the strut tower retaining bolt threads. The bracket by the instructions goes OVER the strut tower outboard retaining nuts then is secured by the retaining nuts provided with the kit. Took about an hour but mainly the two back nuts were the issue. Not difficult but time consuming since I couldn't find my ratchet wrench so had to work a 17mm offset box end 1/4 turn at a time. Pay attention to the bracket the ball stud goes OUTBOARD on the strut tower side.

Follow directions and it works and looks good.

Follow up I did do the mount to strut tower. Remove the two OUTBOARD (Fender side) strut tower retaining nuts (15MM) same as the instructions, ratchet wrench or off set box end wrench for the rar bolts. The two front bolts are a 15mm Deep well. I did the passengers side then inserted the prop rod in the primary hood latch and kept it high enough to work with but low enough to keep excess pressure of the bracket. As you tighten the bolts the bracket will draw itself to the strut tower. I didn't actually measure it but I would guess you lose about 1/4 to 1/2 inch of up travel. Take the Thickness of the strut tower retaining nut and since the bracket will be UNDER the nut and that's what you lose. Also if you keep the prop rod installed the OEM mounting hole will be too low. Word of caution either remove or if needed insert between the hood latch bar.

I finally installed my redline kit after having it for 9 plus months. it went perfectly except when I attached the one rod on the strut bracket I crushed a spring in side. Great news is I emailed RL late at night and before morning they had emailed me and said a replacement part was on the way and did not let me pay for it. Additionally gave me a quick tip of rolling it on the bracket to not crush it. I was extremely impressed. They are amazing. THANK YOU REDLINE! I did as you Stephen, I left the proprod installed on truck. Pretty cool addition.

A major reason I was even considering this mod was the LED Headlight conversion. With me getting in the passengers headlamp area the prop rod was pretty much in my way.

Take a look at this video of a European-spec Limited.

At 1:10 he pops the hood and we see a set of struts that seem different than Redline's. They seem to mount on the fender rather than the strut tower. Any idea what set this is?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back