Completed Project - My 98 super charged EX | Page 56 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Completed Project My 98 super charged EX

Use this prefix for completed projects that are not "How to" articles or threads asking for help.
1998 Explorer 4.0 SOHC
Bought it with a melted alternator/wiring harness from a junkyard for $1,000
Fixed it, drove it for two weeks, then I boosted it.
Started with an M90 supercharger kit from www.Bansheesuperchargerkit.com
Upgraded to an M112 Lightning supercharger that was a prototype kit.
Next was the M122 off a 2012 GT500
I have reached 20 lbs of boost (with ARP head studs) and a 12.83 in a quarter mile.

Pictures
1. How it looked when I brought it home.
2.The M90 supercharger installed
3.The GT500 supercharger installed
4.How it looks now
5.Wheelie
green ex.jpg
DSC02710.JPG
5.JPG
Lowered Rear.jpg
Exploder wheelie.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Tomorrow - car wash! And Fill tank with fresh 93 octane! Got to get all the dust off and make sure none of that bright green antifreeze is hiding anywhere in my front grill.
Man that stuff really glows with dye in it.

Hopefully the track opens tomorrow at 4:30pm, the weather looks to be great.
Its calling for 59 degrees and partly sunny!

I put the non modified supercharger on to lower boost.
The three inch pulley is on and I have the 2.9,2.8,and 2.7 ready to install and test.
My Pivothead Video glasses are charging right now.
Also up for testing is the Ford racing throttle body with dual 63mm openings.
If it works I can upgrade to a single blade unit.

Cant wait!!! I am so exited!!!!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

so how far into the 12's (also making mine, andy and don's task even harder lol) are you going to chuck it?

If I can not at least hit a 12.7 (Tomorrow or Friday) then I will be surprised and disappointed.
With the full 20lbs of boost that the other (modified) supercharger was putting out, I might have been able to hit 12.10 - 12.20.
But I probably would have been picking up engine parts off the track the rest of the night. lol.

With this unmodified supercharger and untested Ford Racing throttle body, I have no idea.

What is your compression ratio now?

With this unmodified supercharger and untested Ford Racing throttle body, I have no idea.

if you dont like em, i know i can find a happy loving home for them :D

I don't know what the ratio is now?
The heads had some metal removed from the combustion chamber area but there was also some removed to surface the deck I am sure.
Probably the same as before 9.7:1

The compression readings with a gauge should be 165-185 with these heads and cams.
Readings higher than that could put a strain on the engine in places where it may not hold up. (head gaskets, pistons etc)

Yea, we are going in to survival mode up here. Driving home from work today in 4wd at 35mph barely able to see 2 feet in any direction sucked.I
want to get my w/m working this winter (Just need to figure out mounting the pump now, and the rest is hose/wiring routing), and cut out that crush bend cold side piping I have.
Either way, I'm in a wheel well getting sand/salt/dirt/water in my hair or under the truck getting that crap dripped all over me. I'm not excited about it.

So, up here we are living our lives thru you southerners eye's.

awesome ! cant wait to hear how you do at the track

I just came across an interesting post on SCT's proracer forums.
It is for the SiemensDeka 60lb injectors.
It is stated to use .000949 for minimum pulsewidth.
This is coming from some professional tuners, not just a random person.
Thought I would put it out there for anyone using these injectors.

I will probably try it out tonight If I remember since I can feel the injectors cutting out and in on deceleration.

My Favorite Henry Ford Quote is "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently."
lol
My best run tonight was 13.20 with 2.7 inch pulley and 16 lbs of boost.

Tomorrow the overdriven Supercharger goes back on and Friday will be the next test and tune day.

Did the a/f change much? How about timing, you think you can adjust it a bit now? IAT's?
So, your saying that with Cams and bigger heads the boost level didn't change? I thought for sure it would go down.

I'm absolutely certain you will be able to bring that quarter mile time down.
Thanks for the info on the injectors. I just made the change and I'll load it up now and give it a try on the way to work tomorrow.

edit: Truck started with the minimum pw changed, and didn't rev out of control or anything bad (mine was set at .0004 previously, so .000949 is quite a bit higher (although not nearly as high as the ford racing 60#v2 value file).

I hope you had a great time at the track, even if the time slips didn't turn out as hoped for. You've got a new combo there, you know it'll take some time to sort everything out. I'm also sure it will improve, in time.;)

I wont know about boost levels being lower with new heads and cams until I put the overdriven Supercharger back on.
I put the stock GT500 one on to lower boost for testing.
I also used a smaller throttle body.
I tried to add 2 degrees timing but it did not help.
A/F was slightly rich in a few areas due to stock supercharger (spinning slower less boost)

When I get the overdriven one back on we will see what can happen.

Oh and boost was 16 lbs max with 2.7 inch pulley.(tonight)
The overdriven one pinned gauge at 20 with 3.3 inch pulley! (before heads and cams)

I did get some new pictures too!

IMG_1533.JPG
IMG_1534.JPG
IMG_1535.JPG

Oh and boost was 16 lbs max with 2.7 inch pulley.(tonight)
The overdriven one pinned gauge at 20 with 3.3 inch pulley! (before heads and cams)

I like that big 3.3" pulley getting it done. I hope I can end up with at least a 3" size, with the 7" crank pulley I have. How is that ASP pulley doing, the PS 8-rib piece? I finally test fitted mine, I had to try it on a different PS pump(my Mercury PS shaft was bigger/rusty).

The power steering pulley is awesome, no problems there.
The 3.3 inch pulley kind of sucks in that it makes noises when cold. It squeals real loud, everyone can hear it.
It is a VMP tuning pulley,I think it is inferior to the Metco pulleys I used tonight.
The problem with Metco is they only come in sizes 2.7 to 3.0 inches but the VMP come 2.5 to 3.3

I will test the overdriven supercharger with the 3.3, and if the truck takes it I may try the 3.2 and 3.1 I have.
I wish I had a 3.0 to test, if that would work I could swap back to the Metco pulley system.
I also have a 2.7 and 2.5 in VMP, but think they will be too small to drive the overdriven supercharger, probably have belt slip.

What is the rpm range of that blower, and are those both Eatons, or the TVS new units? I forget what most people have on their trucks, sorry to be absent minded.

another question. what was the mph last year compared to this year?

good job. oh, btw. once again thanks for making mine, dons, and andy's life hell again lol

The superchargers are both Eaton M122's, I have heard them refered to as H122's.
They are off the GT500's up to 2012 so they are not the Eaton TVS style as that came out in 2013.
I don't know the rpm range for the stock one but I was told not to exceed 19,000 RPM on the overdriven one.
I don't know if that was the rotor speed or pulley speed so lets say rotor speed for safety of the SC.

I cant remember my exact crank pulley size off the top of my head but say around 6 inches.
Last night I was using stock SC with 2.7 pulley so...
6/2.7 =2.22 * 6250 = 13888

Overdriven Supercharger supposed to have aprox 1.33 overdrive If I recall.
6/3.3 = 1.82 * 6250 = 11375 * 1.33(overdrive) = 15128
If I go with 3.1 inch pulley
6/3.1 = 1.94 * 6250 = 12125 * 1.33 = 16126
If I get a 3 inch pulley
6/3 = 2 * 6250 = 12500 * 1.33 = 16625

Just for reference I would like to add it was 59 Degrees last night and the pressure was 30.1 according to my iphone6s.

You would never suspect a 13 or 12 second truck by looking at it. This thing is incredible.

Back